Nancy Grace - going too far?

Started by Lise, Nov 22 06 10:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Is journalism going too far? At what point do you stop? I gotta feel sorry for the families of Melinda Duckett who killed herself after being grilled by Nancy Grace. Ms. Grace should have handle this very sensitive issue with more tact and sensitivity towards a mother who's son has just been kidnapped.

[H3]Family of mom who killed herself sues CNN's Grace[/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Tue. Nov. 21 2006 1:37 PM ET

[img height=120 alt="Melinda Duckett, the mother of missing 2-year-old Trenton Duckett, holds a picture of her and her son on Aug. 29, 2006. (Orlando Sentinel / Stephen M.Dowell)" src="http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20061121/160_ap_duckett1_061121.jpg" width=160 border=0]  Melinda Duckett, the mother of missing 2-year-old Trenton Duckett, holds a picture of her and her son on Aug. 29, 2006. (Orlando Sentinel / Stephen M.Dowell)

[TABLE id=morePhotos] [TBODY] [TR] [TD] [DIV class=topPhoto][img height=120 alt="This undated promotional photo, provided by CNN Headline News, shows Nancy Grace on the Headline News set in New York. " src="http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20061121/160_nancy_grace_061121.jpg" width=160 border=0]  This undated promotional photo, provided by CNN Headline News, shows Nancy Grace on the Headline News set in New York.

[/DIV][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [H3]ORLANDO, Fla.[!-- /dateline --] -- Relatives of a missing boy's mother who killed herself after aggressive questioning by CNN's Nancy Grace sued the network and the talk-show host Tuesday, claiming Grace caused emotional distress that led to the suicide.[/H3] Melinda Duckett committed suicide Sept. 8, a day after Grace's show on CNN Headline News aired a segment in which Grace grilled Duckett about her whereabouts Aug. 27 -- the day 2-year-old Trenton Duckett was reported missing.

Authorities, who said last week they believe the boy is alive, have named Melinda Duckett as the prime suspect in his disappearance.

Jay Paul Deratany, the attorney representing Duckett's estate, said Tuesday that Grace encouraged Duckett to appear on her show by saying the goal was to draw public attention to help find Trenton.

"It's not just about the questioning, it's about the misrepresentation with the knowledge that she was emotionally distraught," Deratany said. The attorney said Grace improperly took on the role of a law enforcement officer.

CNN Headline News declined to comment specifically on the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.

"We stand by Nancy Grace and fully support her, as we have from the beginning of this matter," a spokeswoman said in a news release Tuesday.

[A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061121/duckett_suit_061121/20061121?hub=Entertainment"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061121/duckett_suit_061121/20061121?hub=Entertainment[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

It's not so much journalism that's going so fas as the journalists - eagerly in pursuit of some big break no matter the cost to others. A symptom of our ever increasingly aggressive and acquisitive society.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Nancy Grace is heartless.  BOOOOOO!!  THUMBS DOWN!

Lise

I don't think Ms Grace has even offer any apologies to the family. Sad. Really sad and crappy journalism.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Doesn't it usually seem that when a network says they will stand by someone that they are busy preparing a pink slip?
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

You can always stand by someone with your back turned to them.

kitten

I'm sure they respect her right to speek freely.  However I'm less sure that they will want her doing it on their network if it means lawsuits.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Then again, she'll be giving them publicity, and good or bad, publicity's publicity and it means dollars.

Lise

There's no such thing as a bad publicity. Just look at OJ and Michael Richards.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I hate her. Always have always will she used her dead husband who was murdered as a vehicle for her tv career.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Ah well, better to tread on the dead than the living, I suppose.

TehBorken

I've never liked Nancy Grace- she tries too hard, overacts, and is generally just plain annoying. She takes herself waaaaay to seriously and tries to make it seem like everything she does is of vast importance. I find her just this side of repulsive.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Despicable.. Its so sad when reporters whom are supposed to report unbiased news, show their true colours by badgering a grieving mother to the point of self blame and take their own life.

Too many reporters are like this now, like others have said. They are willing to hurt, harm, and slander other people in order to get ahead. A true dog eat dog example.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I'm amazed to see her associated with CNN.  I've always thought she had that National Enquirer way about her.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

isn't she an attorney by profession and started in TV as a court reporter?