Importance of 5 point car harness

Started by Lise, Nov 21 06 11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

I received this in the email courtesy of a friend which I thought would be great to share with you all. I'm actually shocked that most child carseat today offers very little support. I shall be looking at our carseat very, very closely from now on.

Please forward this link to anyone who is a parent or who's about to become one.

[A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ&NR"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ&NR[/A]

Thanks.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Oh, that's so sad.  Those booster seats do not come with 5-point harnesses.  Adults could even fly off from their belts.  It's sad just thinking about it.  It's unbelievable to think that back in the olden days, kids would be in the front by the parent's feet or sleeping in the trunk or something.  I think that your local firehall/policehall has seatbelt reviews where they teach parents how to properly secure their infant/child.

Lise

ICBC actually  has sessions for parents who want to come in and check if their carseats are done correctly.

The thing is I never thought the car seats that hold 40 to 80lbs can be dangerous without the 5 point harness. Just goes to show that I'll have to re-think the whole issue again and possibly buy another carseat with 5 point harness.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I grew up on booster seats but again this was before the safety boards came out and said that those were not safe.  My sister grew up on a 5 point though.  I guess it was the 80's people just didn't know these things.

lol and by the time I was 6 I was sitting in the front seat.  Then the safety people said it was not safe for kids under 80lbs to sit in the front lol, oops.

My dad's car was so behind in the times when I was little that it just had a lap belt in the back seat. We had to add on a shoulder belt.

yikes I was lucky.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

I cant add anything to this. I thought you were talking about 5 point car or race car harnesses that people buy for racing and extreme motor sports. I bought a set of bucket seats with harnesses.. then didnt install them and my brother took them. Im looking for another set now lol
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Future Canadian

I thought so too, Russ lol!
I was drooling over a new Ford GT in the showroom the other day and noticed it had 5-point harnesses. Got my mind wandering about finding the limits of adhesion and what fun that would be in that car. C'mon lucky lotto numbers...
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Sportsdude

I rather have that Tesla but I doubt I could fit in it.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."