Jet lag

Started by Gopher, Nov 19 06 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Anyone with useful tips on how to counteract it?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

I do it a couple of ways, I travel alot.

Drink before you are on the plane, when on do three stiff shots and take a sleeping pill. Get woken up by the person beside you or by the stewardess when you get to the other side.

If you cant do the above, I drink lots of water thats sweetened or juice.

When you get to the other side, to avoid a screwup in time difference, take a stiff drink and pop a sleeping pill. Force yourself to get some sleep. MAke sure its about the right time to do so, as in not the morning.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Are you talking about planning for when it happens, Gopher? Or are you 'IN IT' right now.

If you're talking about a future trip, I would start re-adjusting sleeping and waking patterns for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.  It's simply an upset to your body clock....nothing else physical is affected.  If you do this a week or two before you leave on your trip, the adjustment will be smooth.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Some hints for you.

[A name=counteracting_jet_lag]

[H2 class=contentH]Counteracting jet lag[/H2][/A] [UL] [LI]Change your watch as soon as you get on the flight: the quicker you adapt to the time zone you're travelling to, the less severe jet lag should be. [/LI][/UL] [BR clear=all]

[UL] [LI]When you arrive in the new time zone, spend some time outside during daylight hours. Natural light can help align your body clock. [/LI][/UL] [BR clear=all]

[UL] [LI]Try to adjust your bedtime and mealtimes to the local timetable as soon as possible. [/LI][/UL] [BR clear=all]

[UL] [LI]Schedule commitments at times when you're likely to have maximum energy: in the evenings after flying east, or in the mornings after flying west [/LI][/UL] [BR clear=all]

[UL] [LI]The impact of alcohol on the body can be two to three times more potent when you're flying, so one glass of wine during the flight has the effect of two to three glasses on the ground. Avoid feeling even worse with a hangover by reducing alcohol intake before and during your flight.[/LI][/UL] [BR clear=all]

[UL] [LI]Get as much exercise on the flight as you can: walk up and down the aisle, rotate your ankles and do gentle stretching exercises. This can help to reduce discomfort and allow you to relax. [/LI][/UL] [BR clear=all] [UL] [LI]During extended stopovers, try to take a shower. It can wake up your circulation and get things moving. [/LI][/UL] [A href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/travel_advice/jetlag.shtml"][FONT size=1]http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/travel_advice/jetlag.shtml[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Don't go to sleep the instant you get to your destination. If you land let say in Europe and your tired and you need sleep and its noon stay up til everyone else goes to sleep.

Heck I got jet lag when I went to Seattle for 5 days this year lol. Never left the pacific time zone clock since. Man your days are much longer.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Not being a jet setter, this isn't a problem for me.  The only jeg lag I've ever suffered is if hubby drives too quickly. (and I often tell him.....HONEYYYYY....I'M GOING TO GET JET LAG)

Sportsdude

lol PC people get that when they ride in my car or used to atleast. Tires on my car only last 10 to 15 thousand miles. I drive so fast doing my job at night I can smell the tires. not good.  

kitten

Seems to me that's the fast route to an early grave.  How could you stop in time if someone suddenly appeared on the road ahead of you?  How would you feel, knowing you were responsible for someone's death?
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Nobody's out in the middle of the night except for teens up to no good.
My old route though had a lot of drunks on it and I knew where they were usually so I was careful.

Only thing I have to worry about on my route is deer. There's a ton of them out there almost hit a few. Ran over a skunk once, that wasn't fun stunk up the place.

I have lost control of my car before I wasn't going fast was going 5mph and ran over a mailbox (was looking down on my route book couldn't read the directions).

But on my old route if I was running late little kids would be out at bus stops then I was really careful.

But if your walking around at 2am in a subdivision your asking for trouble.

Although there is this lady every morning that gets up at 4am and goes out jogging.

kitten

No matter if you hit a kid out for trouble or an old lady jogger, you would still have that on your mind for the rest of your life.  Plus you would likely wind up in jail for manslaughter due to excessive speed.  I don't think it's worth it just to see how fast you can go.  That's what race tracks are for.  At least they know the risks.

P.C.

Bless yer buttons Kitten....I couldn't agree more.

Bear in mind, when I talk about hubby's 'speeding', I consider anything above 5 clicks over the limit, excessive....rofl.  He's slowed down a lot since I first met him.  He had the first Miata on the Island, back when they first came out, and he was like a big kid with a new toy.  Even if he wanted to be Mario Andretti, he drives my old truck now and it just hasn't got the poop

kitten

I think that having responsibilities can make a person change their driving habits in a hurry.  

Sportsdude

yeah I know those crazy driving days are behind me.
Everyone goes through those phases although I do drive fast on family vacations. I usually go 80mph (130kph). But thats driving through the plain states like Kansas where the speed limit is 75. But once I get to the mountains I get honked at by the big SUVs rolling down the mountains because they can't stop. In other words I know when and where to drive fast. I'm not stupid and look at me.

People on the 401 though in Ontario are NUTS, they need there head examined. Haven't been to Montreal but I've heard the same about them as well.
Don't drive through Mississippi either. They're on crack when they drive. You can do just about anything on the roads in Mississippi cops don't do anything nor care.

Georgia on the other hand is different. They have a policy to only pull over non southern/non georgian drivers.
If I georgian driver is going 20 over and you're going 1 over they'll pull you over and let the georgia driver go.

Florida cops like to drive around in there comaro's they only show up when there's a high speed accident and somebody is dead. (couple years ago saw a dead guy through his truck windshield nobody covered his body) then the girl in the car next to me was driving while hanging her feet out the window so I've seen it all.  I guess.