Man shot while waiting in line for PS3

Started by Lise, Nov 17 06 01:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Oh gawd. The insanity continues with this gaming system.

[H3]Man shot waiting in line for PlayStation 3 system[/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Fri. Nov. 17 2006 2:40 PM ET

[FONT size=3][/FONT]

[FONT size=3]HARTFORD, Conn.[!-- /dateline --] -- Two armed thugs tried to rob a line of people waiting for the new Playstation 3 game system to go on sale early Friday and shot a man who refused to give up his money, authorities said.  In other states, customers pushed and shoved their way to the shelves to get at the limited supply, and in Kentucky, four people were grazed by BBs fired from a passing vehicle as they waited for a Best Buy store to open.

The two gunman in the northeast Connecticut town of Putnam confronted 15 to 20 people standing outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance.

"One of the patrons resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled after shooting Michael Penkala, 21, of Webster, Mass., in the chest and shoulder. Penkala was in stable condition at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, Mass., with injuries not believed to be life threatening, Vance said.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects, both believed to be in their teens. He said one was wearing a ski mask and brandishing a handgun, and the other had what appeared to be a shotgun.

Aside from the police tape, things had returned to normal by midmorning at the Wal-Mart store in rural Putnam, a town of about 9,000 residents near the Massachusetts and Rhode Island borders.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., someone fired BB pellets from a passing vehicle at people waiting outside a Best Buy store, according to WKYT, whose own reporter said she was among four people grazed while she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart about the big sale -- its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home until the store opened.

[A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061117/play_station_061117/20061117?hub=Entertainment"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061117/play_station_061117/20061117?hub=Entertainment[/FONT][/A]

[/FONT]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

I can't imagine wanting anything that badly, unless there was a food shortage.  Anything else is a luxury, not a necessity.  Apart from that, I hope they nail the idiots that were shooting.  They need a long vacation in their nearest penitentiary.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Russ

Pathetic. Get a life, seriously people. Wasting time in your lives waiting for a GAME system. Spend it in useful ways.. Like on DS!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

kitten

Future Canadian

I'm wishing I'd gotten in on the cynical, christmas-ruining PS3 frenzy. I just realized that I could've got a free PS3 by camping out w/ my son, buying one each, then selling the other on ebay. Holy Smokes! I just checked ebay and there ain't a one of 'em under a grand. fooey! I could've got paid to get a PS3.
But in reality I think what Sony is doing is quite evil. They can manufacture as many as they want, but choose to build this frenzy by making fewer. How many kids are sad because daddy can't afford a thousand clicks. Sheesh, they are already so far out of reach for most people, why make it worse?

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Trollio

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Lise

I'm still waiting for the X360 to come down in price. Boohoo.......
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

why is the ps3 twice as much as the xbox and the new nitendo wii. i dont get it? and who are all those stupid people on ebay spending 10x as much for one.

P.C.

Kitten, I don't believe it has much to do with 'HOW MUCH' somebody wants something.  I think it has to do with wanting it FIRST or NOW.  For the sake of a month or two, they can get it without the risk to life and limb.

FC wrote: How many kids are sad because daddy can't afford a thousand clicks. Sheesh, they are already so far out of reach for most people, why make it worse?

I think that kids who are sad because daddy can't afford a thousand clicks aren't only not getting a toy they want, they also don't have parents who have taught them any values.  If parents have set their kids up to be shattered over this, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kingy

if you really want to see how disgusting kids are, just watch the mtv show 'my sweet sixteen'.

the girls cry if daddy doesnt get the rock band they requested to play at their birthday. they throw a tantrum if they dont get a brand new car they asked for. it makes me want to slap some sense into them.

Lise

It's like the school playground all over again. Remember the time when your buddy came in with that 'must-have' toy from Christmas? It's like that. It's disgusting but hey if you wanna burn your money that way, you're welcome to it.

I saw an episode of that "Sweet Sixteen" from MTV. The girls who just turned 16 make it sound as if this is the most important thing in their lives and the parents who pay $$$$ for their party of the year are crazy! I can't believe the lenghts these parents go through to ensure their kid shine for that one night. And the girls themselves. It's all they ever think about. To me, they're not only shallow but materialistic.

It's such a sad world we live in sometimes.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Manipulative is another word for them.  How can parents give in to that sort of nonsense?

Lise

With these parents, I think they want to appear ubber cool to their kids and their friends so they give him as much as they can. I don't think they think about the kind of lesson you impart towards your children when you do that.

For those who haven't seen this Sweet Sixteen series, check it out here:

[A href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/sweet_16/series.jhtml"]http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/sweet_16/series.jhtml[/A]
Bill Cosby.

kitten

I've always thought that it isn't what you give but what you teach that's important.  The parents aren't preparing their kids for the real world.

Russ

I have a few friends that waited and bought these things. I was supposed to get one of them that was bought... suddenly the lure of money takes effect and mine never got bought somehow. LOL, ah well, I still wasnt sure if I wanted a new game system anyhow, Im still playing my XBOX sporatically
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims