Russian Spy caught in Canada

Started by Russ, Nov 16 06 12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Thought we were supposed to be over this??

[A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=915658f8-9ca4-4c43-80de-0b50e39ade8b"]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=915658f8-9ca4-4c43-80de-0b50e39ade8b[/A]

[DIV class=feed_details] [H4]Stewart Bell, CanWest News Service[/H4]Published: Thursday, November 16, 2006

[DIV class=para12 id=article] TORONTO -- A suspected Russian spy has been arrested in Montreal as he was about to board a plane to leave the country, capping a Canadian counter-intelligence operation that suggests espionage is alive and well long after the Cold War.

The man, who had been living in Canada under the name Paul William Hampel, was taken into custody by Canada Border Services Agency officers at Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport at about 6 p.m. Tuesday.

The arrest came after two federal ministers signed a security certificate last Thursday declaring him a danger to Canada for espionage, paving the way for his deportation. It is the first security certificate approved by the government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

The case is described as highly sensitive and officials were saying little Wednesday. Investigators were trying to confirm the suspect's true identity and the foreign intelligence agency he works for, but the case is being compared to a 1996 spy operation by the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service.

This is the first time Canada's controversial security certificate process has been used since the 2003 arrest Adil Charkaoui, an alleged al-Qaida-trained sleeper.

[DIV align=center]© The Vancouver Sun 2006[/DIV][/DIV]
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Erhm... what's there to steal from Canada? Our mighty weapons? Our fast growing economic secrets? Harper's undies???????
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

They are after our vast Navy.  Or maybe just one of B.C.'s ferries.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Future Canadian

There lookin' for the kind BC Bud.  
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

soapbox

not a surprise,straightforward industry espionage it seems. probably low level agent gathering economic,industry data etc.

Russ

LOL kitten! Our 'vast' navy. Most of our navy is down, with the laid up fleet of the same size as our active fleet. To be honest we have a bigger BC ferries at 47 ships than a navy.

Why do they need a spy to see our finances, the opposition likes to air our dirty laundry everywhere to score points at home.

kitten

So you're saying that one ship still works, while the other is in drydock?

Lise

We still call them ships? I thought they were more like tug boats.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

I don't think tug boats are really sea-worthy.  But then neither is our Navy.

Russ

ok, I actually have to defend our navy here LOL (from myself even!). We crack jokes about em but our navy is one of the most advanced and versatile forces in the world as well as one of the best trained.

Many of our ships have been updated recently, and our frigates although conventional helicopter ASW, have almost the lowest radar and sound signatures for the type. The Americans as well as others have adapted to our designs in that area.

Our yard auxilliary tugs do have issues though as most of them were condemed for one reason or another and new ones are being built. We actually have a massive shipbuilding program going on as well as updating that should increase our fleets capabilities.    

kitten

I really was just joking, Russ, as I'm sure you know.  It just seems rather inadequate for a country that is surrounded on three sides by water.  It all boils down to allocations, doesn't it?  They can't spend what they don't receive from the government.  In my opinion, they have been seriously short-changed.

Russ

I was pretty sure you were, but after my jokes even I had to throw something out there, lol. You never know who will believe us!

I agree kitten. They have been neglected so long that some of the so called active ships were laid up due to lack of qualified personnel and repairs. The coast guard ships are supposed to do the enforcement, with the navy as backup. They are looking into integrating the CCG into a branch of the navy.

Most of the planning for heavy life and seatransport of a force into a foreign country were relying on alot of the transport ships which are now in layup.. the government has since listened to the navy on this and is looking at building fast integrated assault force like what the americans have with their marines. A floating land, sea, and air assault ships with helicoptors tanks and hovercraft landing craft. I think its a four ship flotilla with support craft.

At the same time, we spend more of our GNP on military than the us does by percentage wise (If I remember correctly anyhow). Our population is 32 million, the us is 310 million?

kitten

Even if we spend more per capita on our Forces, it's still a lot less than the US can afford with ten times the population.  But it is good that something will be done to strengthen the Navy.  It should be our first line of defence.

Russ

Im happy you agree kitten! Most people I talk to dont! 'super bless'!

First line of defense is right.

kitten

England had a huge marine presence, even though it was a small country.  With the length of our coastlines, I think it is strange and rather sad that so little of it can really be protected by the Navy and Coast Guard.  They are spread far too thin to do much good in a crisis.