Losing Power

Started by P.C., Nov 15 06 09:52

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Anyone else lose their power today ????

This was kind of a cool day for me.  

I was trying to purchase an item on ebay (my first ever).  It was an item that was really important to me on ebay.uk.  So being a newbie at this, I placed a bid on this thing that had only one other bid......hit post bid, and it came back that I was 'out bid'....so I did it again....and again......and AGAIN.

So I started to wonder if I was bidding against myself....lol. (noob)

Anyway, I go to work.....power goes out and I came back home.  I realized, that I only had another couple hours to get a bid in, but my power never came back on (til half an hour ago).

So hubby comes home....asks how long the power's been out....told him.....he says, so you haven't heard the good news then.  HE PLACED A BID FROM WHERE HE WORKED AND GOT IT.

I'm so excited.....yeayyyy  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Congrats! But, uh, were you bidding against your husband?

What was it? I never thought about bidding on the UK ebay.

Never lost our power here, luckily. but read my complaint about the storms and rain... Thats what happened to me, lol.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

kingy

yep, sounds like you were bidding with your hubby. lol! with ebay overseas, the thing you have to watch out for is customs fees/taxes and shipping charges. personally, i tend to stay away from overseas and stick with canada.

i heard power was out in a few places on the island and a bunch of places on the lower mainland as well. port alberni got hit pretty hard. no power till tomorrow if they are lucky.

P.C.

I was certainly a little concerned about bidding on ebay uk (I've obviously been concerned about ebay, period)

This item is something that is from my family from a few generations ago.  Chances of finding this 'item' HERE are slim.  I'd have paid 20 times the amount for this thing than I did.  I'm tickled pink.

(I'm not sure what I need to do next, but if I have to go there to pick it up, I will....LOL)

kingy

you should get an email from the seller telling you how to pay. it is usually via paypal and if you dont have a paypal account, a money order usually works. stick with paypal because you are covered if something goes wrong.    

P.C.

What could go wrong? (gawdddd I'm such a noob)

kingy

ok, i dont want to freak you out but some of the things that can go wrong are...

the item isnt what you were expecting.

the item never gets shipped but you paid for it.

the item is broken during shipping.

defective item.

my personal experience with ebay has been pretty good. a couple of things that i have since learned is that if you are ordering stuff from outside of canada, you probably will have to pay customs duties/tax/brokerage fees on that item unless the shipper can mark it down as a 'gift'. another problem i had was that the shipper wrote the wrong address down so it took three times as long to deliver than expected. i bought a camera from ebay a few years ago and i paid more than i thought i should of paid for customs and not only that, customs held it up at the border and i didnt get my camera in time for my trip. i had to buy a new camera so bascially, the camera i got off ebay was useless to me since i didnt need it anymore.

Moolah!

Whenever the power shows signs of going away I break into singing "I got the power!"  [A onclick="addImg('icon/408.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]

[A onclick="addImg('icon/061.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]  
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

P.C.

Congrats! But, uh, were you bidding against your husband?

No, I wasn't bidding against hubby.....he was actually home when I was bidding.  He wasn't the slightest bit interested in what I was bidding on.  That's what made it SO nice, that he thought about doing that from work for me, knowing that I wouldn't go any higher on the item.  I just thought it was sweet.

kitten

Great man, your hubby!  Lucky girl!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

P.C.

I couldn't agree more, Kitten.

I suppose I should put my 'grubbies' on and go do a little raking.  It's a bit of a mess out there.

Are you on your break?

kitten

Yes I am.  *smile*

P.C.

How's the back today?

I think a person could get hooked on this ebay....lol.  I'm still leary of how this whole thing will work out.....but it can't hurt to try.  I have only purchase a few things on line, but never from ebay.  I'm a bit of a chicken about this.

kitten

I don't like to buy anything that I can't see and touch.  I also dislike giving credit card information over the Internet.  So it would have to be awfully important before I'd take the risk.

Lise

Oh PC. Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh myself silly. Anyways, great minds think alike. At least you're going to get the item.

As for me, hadn't bid in eons. Last bid was on an anime DVD. It can be addictive.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.