Paul and Heather McCartney to observe seal pups before start of hunt

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 28 06 08:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Paul and Heather McCartney to observe seal pups before start of hunt [!-- END HEADLINE --][DIV id=ynmain][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --][DIV id=storybody][DIV class=storyhdr][SPAN]ALISON AULD[/SPAN][EM class=timedate]Tue Feb 28, 5:23 PM ET[/i]

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV][/DIV]HALIFAX (CP) - Opponents of Canada's seal hunt acquired a powerful ally in their fight to ban the disputed practice as Paul McCartney pledged Tuesday to venture out on to the ice floes in a bid to save the furry mammals.

The former Beatle and his wife Heather plan to land a helicopter somewhere in the Gulf of St. Lawrence on Thursday and Friday to observe harp seal pups before the annual hunt begins, according to the Humane Society of the United States.

Rebecca Aldworth said the megastar and his wife, longtime animal rights activists, are hoping to press the federal government to end the hunt and draw attention to a species that has been a favourite cause for a cast of celebrities.

"They are taking a very strong stand against the commercial seal hunt and are going to be devoting their energies to making this a global issue," Aldworth, the society's director of Canadian wildlife issues, said Tuesday from Montreal.

"So they're there to make a strong statement about that to the Canadian government."

Aldworth said the couple plan to be in touch with Prime Minister Stephen Harper to urge his government to end the hunt.

Federal Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn said Canada is not going to terminate the annual practice, insisting it is the most regulated hunt in the world.

"I would encourage Mr. McCartney when he comes here to see the effect this is having on the economy and to realize this is sustaining people in their home communities," he said in Ottawa, adding that he's not concerned about the effect his visit could have.

"We hear this every single year. We started with Brigitte Bardot . . . but the majority of people are not fooled by 20-year-old pictures of baby seals being killed on the ice."

The British government is also considering banning the import of seal goods and groups like Respect for Animals, which is co-ordinating the McCartneys' visit, are encouraging people not to travel to the country as a sign of their opposition to the hunt.

"There is pressure building up from all quarters and with the increased levels of publicity now if I was the Canadian government I would be absolutely stupid not to ban it," Mark Glover of Repect for Animals said from Nottingham, England.

The group contends that a million seals have been killed in the last three years, with many of them being skinned alive after being shot or clubbed, according to a release on their website.

Still, some sealers say the aging musician should keep his nose out of a business that has kept their communities afloat for centuries.

"He'll go out there and cuddle up to a whitecoat and they look beautiful, you can't get away from that and it is cruel, you can't get away from that either, but it's something we've done for 500 years," said Jack Troake, a 70-year-old sealer in Twillingate, N.L., who plans on joining the hunt this season.

"It's helped to sustain us. We go to bed with a full stomach, a tight roof over our head. It's part of our culture, our history."

The couple might have trouble getting their message out since mild weather has prevented the formation of many ice floes, where the harp and hooded seals give birth to their pups.

Frank Ring of the federal Department of Fisheries said it's not clear when or if the hunt will go ahead because of the high temperatures, adding an expected cold snap could thicken now-thin patches of ice.

If they get out there, the McCartneys' hope to boost public condemnation of an industry - described as the world's largest annual slaughter of marine mammals - that 20 years ago seemed doomed. At the time, celebrities like Bardot and Martin Sheen pushed to have it stopped amid a worldwide campaign that featured graphic photos of doe-eyed whitecoats, or baby harp seals, being bludgeoned on the ice floes. The protests worked. The United States moved to ban the import of seal products in 1972, and the European Union instituted a partial ban in 1983. Prices plummeted to as low as $5 per seal pelt, and in 1987 the Canadian government banned the killing of whitecoats. The protesters went away, but the industry didn't die - by the mid-1990s, new markets opened up, the price for pelts started to rise and the sealing industry's efforts to encourage humane harvesting practices limited the impact of renewed protests. As a result, both the industry and the seal population bounced back. In 2003, Ottawa announced a three-year management plan with a quota of 975,000 seals over three years, angering conservation groups who resumed their protests. In 2004, the federal government estimated there were 5.9 million harp seals on the East Coast, up from two million in the early 1970s, and the value of the hunt was pegged at $16 million a year. - Facts about the annual seal hunt off Canada's East Coast: Species: There are six species of seals off the Atlantic coast - harp, hooded, grey, ringed, bearded and harbour. Almost all hunting is directed at harp seals. Hunters: In 2004, there were 15,468 licences issued to seal hunters. The industry was valued at $16 million. Profession: Licensed sealers must apprentice under a professional sealer for two years. Quotas: During 2003-2005, the catch limit for harp seals was set at 975,000. The limit for hooded seals was set at 10,000. The limits have yet to be set for 2006. Areas: 90 per cent of sealers on the Front - the area off the east coast of Newfoundland where the majority of the hunt occurs - use rifles. Sealers in the Iles de la Madeleine and on Quebec's Lower North Shore traditionally use clubs or hakapiks. Season: The majority of sealing occurs between March and May. In 2005, the main hunt in the Gulf of St. Lawrence started March 29. The main hunt on the Front opened April 12. No dates have been set for 2006. Population: The number of harp seals off the East Coast is estimated at five million, almost triple what it was in the 1970s. Pay: A top-quality seal pelt can fetch about $70, which is near the record high.

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV][/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

hey f what your opinion on the seal hunt? eh.[/DIV]his response: barcode , barcode, barcode[/DIV]Me: Oh I see...

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
hey f what your opinion on the seal hunt? eh.[/div][div]his response: barcode , barcode, barcode[/div][div]Me: Oh I see...
LOL.   He said  "|| ||  |  | |   | ||||  ||  |   | | | ||  |"

Actually, this gave me a great idea for a handy bit of code that I may add. I'll have to fiddle around a bit and see if I can do it.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Schadenfreude

[img height=311 src="http://galen-frysinger.com/graphics/harpseal1.jpg" width=450]

So many people are crying for the baby seals because of the way they look.[/DIV]Harp seals are not endangered. No one is crying for the baby salmon. [/DIV]The loss of the salmon fishery is far, far more significant than the loss of some seals.[/DIV]When will people feel sympathetic to the baby salmon?[/DIV]Stay home Sir Paul until you come up with a plan that will do some good.

[img height=423 src="http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/ODFW/life-cycle/FRY-2.JPG" width=453]
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Schadenfreude

[img style="WIDTH: 517px; HEIGHT: 330px" height=330 src="http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/fish/albatross-iv/al0203/P0005783.JPG" width=733]

[FONT color=#ff0000 size=6]Save the baby cod! Save the baby cod![/FONT]
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

JP

People only love them because they're cute. If they were ugly no one would care a bit that they were being bashed to death. Cuteness appears to be a survival trait common to small animals and children.

primefactor

Save the Naked Mole-Rats!
Um... anyone?

Just kidding, I don't think they're even endangered. Plus I feel they're one of those animals that are SO hideous that they go all the way around the block and back to cute. Like Boston Terriers. Or Reese Witherspoon.

tenkani

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Witch

Schadenfreude wrote:
 So many people are crying for the baby seals because of the way they look.[/DIV]Harp seals are not endangered. No one is crying for the baby salmon. [/DIV]The loss of the salmon fishery is far, far more significant than the loss of some seals.[/DIV]When will people feel sympathetic to the baby salmon? _______________________________________________________

WOW, I wonder what those poor salmon did for milions of years before we humans came along to protect them from the ravages of the seals?

The salmon were just fine. They co-existed in balanc with the seals for millions of years with absolutely no help from us. We are the cause of the loss of the salmon fishery, not the seals.

Blaming the seals for the loss of salmon is as ingenuine as blaming the air for pollution.

Sportsdude

I don't like it but there are like 5 million of the things today. I just wish they didn't 'club' them to death. If you are going to kill an animal just shoot it.

former s.consumer

cull the seals humanely.[/DIV]they didn't eat the fish...humans over burdened the fisheries...duh.

save the west coast salmon! no to fish farms!  

Tor Johnston

Most seals are shot in the head, and have been killed that way for avery long time. The ones using clubs are the ones who have has theirFAC's suspended for whatever reason.

Let's switch from baby seals to quail.
Let's genetically engineer them to be really dumb, like the ones Cheney was supposed to be shooting.
Those quail should be so stupid they will fly/walk toward a noise. Thenyou could get out of your SUV and shoot them, or hit them in the facewith a pipe.

"Cheney shot a 78 year old guy in the face because he mistook him for agame bird", I hear all the time. Jon Stewart is hosting the Oscars onSunday so there may (or may not) be a reference to this.

We should genetically engineer baby seals too. They should become our next wave of lawyers and real estate agents.

We should genetically engineer shrimp to be the size of horses so thatwe could ride them all day and then eat them around the campfire withsome garlic butter.. Don't get me going...!

Schadenfreude

Premier Danny Williams was on Larry King saying most of the seals are shot in the head, they are not clubbed.[/DIV]Harp seals are not endangered. Cod and salmon are. Seals are cute and cuddly, cod are not.[/DIV]The un-informed, un-educated McCartneys are looking for publicity but not wanting to hear the other side of the debate. This seal hunt is as humane as the cattle industry, the chicken industry, or any other industry who's resources are animal based.[/DIV]The McCartneys should concentrate their efforts towards plights that will make a difference like the cod or salmon and not be in it for the photo ops.