Good Cheap Eats

Started by Orik, Mar 25 09 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Orik

With the closing of save on meats and the loss of the Hastings street cafe... I needed a new greasy spoon to grab a burger at from time to time. Flowers Cafe will now be that place for a burger n fries, I have yet to try the rest of the 50 odd items on the menu. But if the rest of the dishes are the same size as this mountain of fries and the gargantuan double patties, a burger you need two hands at all times to hold together to eat it. a giant of a burger, I think I will gain all the weight back in no time.

[img style="width: 143px; height: 133px;" src="http://i41.tinypic.com/2vu0h89.gif"]

[img style="width: 534px; height: 335px;" src="http://i44.tinypic.com/2h3u3b4.jpg"]

Good Cheap Eats they have new menus now with a larger selection of Items. I hope to get new photos in soon from Flowers Cafe. The replacement Restaurant to go to with the loss of the payless meat shop

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

Holy !  That is monster !  Isn't a McDonalds burger more than $4.25 ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Russ

Bonn's on  broadway.. at nanaimo and broadway

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=960
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Those fries look homemade.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Orik

Yes It is that big of a burger, Even I am hard pressed to finish the whole thing. Yes PC that mountain of french fries is home made. Almost everything in this place is home made. Good cheap eats, it is not food, I would eat all the time, but once in awhile it is fine. I am full just looking at that picture, I remember walking out afterwords talk about being and feeling full. :D

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Sportsdude

Haha Russ beat me to it about Bonn's. lol My buddy and I go there a lot.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Orik

So whats for Lunch... Well today my lunch / dinner was from the Quick  pick food store at 531 East Hastings Street.  let me tell you Good news  travels fast in this neighbourhood it travels almost as fast as the  Vancouver police on their way to a do-nut shop... ...

So today I  decided to go on out and try this new place I had been hearing about. I  hopped on my Bike and rode on up to the Quick Pick. I was impressed and  left in a hurry to get home and try my meal. I must say it was worth  riding out in the heat of the evening sun to get these eats. The price  and portions just can not be beat.

Every one who knows me, knows I  know food, I love a good bargain and a  good meal. Both of which can be  found at Quick Pick foods. This little corner store has a wide variety  of Stocked goods, while I can not compare the stocked good prices here  to other corner stores, I can tell you about the Rotisserie Chicken on  rice. Brown or White rices available...

This White rice is fried  and then steamed. They would not tell me the full list of spices they  used or the complete recipes. I can understand that. It is a part of his  wifes family history you could even say it is a secret recipe. While I  wont pry deeply on the secrets. I can Say I will return.

The  portions are large and any one who has seen the size of me knows it  takes a lot to fill me up. This meal left me stuffed.  The whole rice  (brown) is fluffy moist and delicious. While the White rice is slightly  sticky I also found it to be fluffy and moist. I may not be able to eat  this meal with my chopsticks, I did make short work of this delicious  meal with little spillage on my shirt.

They provided a small  salad. it was pretty basic, you could say it was simple even. It  consisted of some lettuce with a ranch style dressing, chopped tomatoes,  not large or watery, but nice chunks & considering the price of  tomatoes today, I am thankful they did not cheap out on them.

They  used a Romain or rugula style of lettuce, I am not sure of the kind,  I'm more a meat eater than a veggie man...It was large, dark green and  leafy, very crisp, cold and slightly sweet. What I found at the bottom  surprised me, for I did not expect to see, the large chopped pieces of  cucumbers... Delicious if I do say so myself. It may not of been fancy,  but it was good.

The topping off of that salad with a dill  pickle, was a homestyle favorite of mine, when I was a child and it made  me smile from ear to ear. It brought back good home memories as I bit  in to the warm crispy pickle, ah so good.

Now this rotisserie  chicken is a lemon spice & slightly curried or similar style of  spice, it was not hot. So for those who are afraid it is spicy, I can  tell you it is not spicy. They removed the skin before marinating and  before they added it to the rotisserie. they claim the meals are at  least 75 percent fat free.

I do not dispute that. The chicken  was not dry, nor was it moist, it was pretty darned good, even if i do  say so myself.  It was a nice sized leg with the back still attached, it  was not a small piece of chicken, I would not call it large either a  good medium sized piece.. and very tasty.

This is just my  opinion of course I recommend that if your in Vancouver, in this neck of  the woods and heading West on hastings pull over on the North side and  give this place a try... If you are headed East I tell you the same,  pull on over and give them a try if you are game.

Now Abid would  not tell me the full list of ingredients, again it is more of Abid's  wifes family secrets. Abid is the store owner and operator Of Quick Pick  foods, the cleanliness of the store was spot on & the food was  good.

I am impressed. Sorry folks it is for take out only, no  room to eat in but they have all a man on the commute could want even  with a little parking  directly in front bus stops on both corners with  in walking distance. there may not be much parking but their is some.

No  noticible bike racks to close, for those on a bicycle the nearest I saw  was at Jackson and Hastings on the North side of Hastings and the East  side of Jackson, So Watch Your Bikes. I know I kept a I on mine, while  they made my meal to go..  they may not be fast cause they had  4 other  customers besides myself.. When i got home and sat down to my meal I was  hungry and it filled me up..

I give this place a 4.5 out of 5 on  the Star scale for great eats. For a total of 5.00 and some tax I got a  great big old meal that left me no room for seconds.  sighs. now i sit  here digesting the yogurt mint dressing that I used with the rice and  Chicken So happy and content i think it is a time for a nap...

I  can say Look out Quick Pick foods Orik has found a new place to go for a  meal once or twice a month finances willing...

If you are not  to hungry, Give there Rotisserie Chicken Burger a try. it is the Pulled  chicken served on a big bun with some good sauce a bit of lettuce and  their secret recipe chicken... So yummy... needs more tomatoes and some  onions in my opinion but this too is a good snack if you are in need of a  lighter repast.

Catch you all on the flip side of Vancouver...  Enjoy the eats see you out and about on the streets.

Quick Pick  Foods, 531 East Hastings Street, Vancouver. B.C

Abid states he  has hot food ready to go usually starting from 3 pm till midnight...  Stop by and tell him I said hi...

4.99 Chicken Dinner.
2.99 Chicken  burger / bun

Peace ...