May I borrow DS for our Remembrance Day

Started by P.C., Nov 08 06 11:00

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

[A href="http://www.broadcastdialogue.com/video/TKeng6mb.wmv" target=_blank rel=nofollow][FONT color=#0000ff]http://www.broadcastdialogue.com/video/TKeng6mb.wmv[/FONT][/A]

Edit.....new link below.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

Lise

Extremely touching. Bless you. Thank you.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

[FONT color=#3333ff size=7]In Flanders Fields[/FONT]
[FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]Canadian Army[/FONT][/FONT]  [FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT size=+1][FONT color=#000000]I[/FONT][FONT color=#3333ff]N FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]Between the crosses row on row,[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]That mark our place; and in the sky[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]The larks, still bravely singing, fly[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]Scarce heard amid the guns below.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT color=#3333ff][/FONT]  [FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]We are the Dead. Short days ago[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]Loved and were loved, and now we lie[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]In Flanders fields.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT color=#3333ff][/FONT]  [FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]Take up our quarrel with the foe:[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]To you from failing hands we throw[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]The torch; be yours to hold it high.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]If ye break faith with us who die[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]We shall not sleep, though poppies grow[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][FONT color=#3333ff][FONT size=+1]In Flanders fields.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[A href="http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm"]http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm[/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

[A href="http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/" target=_blank][img height=264 src="http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/woody.jpg" width=366 align=bottom border=0 NATURALSIZEFLAG="3"][/A].

P.C.

[A href="http://www.videorambler.com/2006/08/pittance-of-time-by-terry-kelly.html"][/A]

Take a moment to view.......the link to Terry Kelly's, A Pittance of Time has changed.[/DIV]

[A href="http://www.videorambler.com/2006/08/pittance-of-time-by-terry-kelly.html"]http://www.videorambler.com/2006/08/pittance-of-time-by-terry-kelly.html[/A]

(and for Michel.....  [A href="http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_fr.htm"]http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_fr.htm[/A]#  )  

P.C.

Hmmm....apparently the new links aren't working for some either.

[A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg[/A]

49er

[FONT face=Arial][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"][FONT color=#000000 size=3]I received this in the mail the other day................[/FONT][/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"][/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"][FONT size=3][/FONT][/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"][FONT size=3]I'm told that there is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy 25 in rural [SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1194737644_0 style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed"]Iowa[/SPAN].
For generations, kids have painted slogans, names and obscenities on this rock changing its character many times.[/FONT][/SPAN][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"]

[/SPAN][/FONT][FONT face=Tahoma color=red][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"]
[FONT size=3]A few months back, the rock received its latest paint job and since then it has been left completely undisturbed.[/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"]

[/SPAN][/FONT][FONT face=Tahoma color=red][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"][FONT size=3]It's quite an impressive sight.[/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][FONT face=Arial color=#0080ff][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #0080ff; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"]
[/SPAN][/FONT][FONT face=Verdana color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]
[/SPAN][/FONT][FONT face=Tahoma color=red][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"][FONT size=3]Be sure to scroll down and check out the multiple photos[/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][FONT size=3][FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0080ff][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #0080ff; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'"] [FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#ff0000 size=4](all angles) of the rock[/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT size=3][FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0080ff][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #0080ff; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'"][/SPAN][/FONT][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0080ff][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #0080ff; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'"][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT size=3][FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=navy][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'"] [/SPAN][/FONT][/FONT][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"]
[/DIV][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT] [FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff0000 size=3]I thought the flag was draped over the rock but it's not. It's actually painted on the rock too.[/FONT][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"]
[/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT color=#ff0000 size=3]Here's the artist -- Ray "Bubba" Sorensen.[/FONT][FONT face=Tahoma][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"]
[/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Arial color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"][FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff0000 size=3]AWESOME Work, RAY...Thank you![/FONT][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"]

[/SPAN][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 36pt; COLOR: red; FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"]

[/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT]

Lise

Wow. Thanks for sharing 49er. That's great art work.
Bill Cosby.

Brit_Guy

[h1 style="margin-left: 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial; color: rgb(0, 0, 153);"]I DO NOT KNOW YOUR NAME[/span][span style=""][o:p][/o:p][/span][/h1]  [p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]I do not know your name, but I know you died[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]I do not know from where you came, but I know you died[/span]
  [/p]  [p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]Your uniform, branch of service, it matters not to me[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]Whether Volunteer or Conscript, or how it came to be[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]That politicians failures, or some power-mad ambition[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]Brought you too soon to your death, in the name of any nation[/span]
   [/p]  [p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]You saw, you felt, you knew full well, as friend and foe were taken[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]By bloody death, that your life too, was forfeit and forsaken[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]Yet on you went and fought and died, in your close and private hell[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]For Mate or Pal or Regiment and memories never to tell[/span]
   [/p]  [p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]It was for each other, through shot and shell, the madness you endured[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]Side by side, through wound and pain, and comradeship assured[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]No family ties, or bloodline link, could match that bond of friend[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]Who shared the horror and kept on going, at last until the end[/span]
   [/p]  [p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]We cannot know, we were not there, it's beyond our comprehension[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]To know the toll that battle brings, of resolute intention[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]To carry on, day by day, for all you loved and hoped for[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]To live in peace a happy life, away from bloody war[/span]
   [/p]  [p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]For far too many, no long life ahead, free of struggle and pain and the gun[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]And we must remember the price that was paid, by each and every one[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]Regardless of views, opinions aside, no matter how each of us sees it[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]They were there and I cannot forget, even though I did not live it[/span]
   [/p]  [p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]I do not know your name, but I know you died[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]I do not know from where you came, but I know you died.[/span] [/p]  [p style="margin-right: 36pt; margin-left: 36pt;"][span style="font-family: Arial;"]Kenny Martin[/span]
 [span style="font-family: Arial;"]© 2003 [/span][/p]  [p class="MsoNormal"][a href="http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/RemembranceB.htm"]http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/RemembranceB.htm[/a][/p]  [p class="MsoNormal"][!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--] [!--[endif]--][o:p][/o:p][/p]  [p class="MsoNormal"]God bless all the soldiers who died in the two great wars 1914 – 1918 and 1939 - 1945, they are gone but never forgotten. They secured our freedom... The same freedom we often take for granted. God bless all soldiers that have fought in wars since.
[/p]    [p class="MsoNormal"][!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--] [!--[endif]--][o:p][/o:p]I f it wasn't for the brave soldiers giving their lives forums like this would never be alowed.[/p]    [p class="MsoNormal"][!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--] [!--[endif]--][o:p][/o:p]
May we never... [/p]  [p class="MsoNormal"]ever forget their sacrifices.
[/p]    Very touching video
    bless you.

P.C.

Nice contributions 49er and Brit Guy.....thankyou.

It makes me feel just a little bit better to know that people DO take the time to think about these things.  I'm thankful and appreciative for the sacrifices made by these brave men and women.  

Lise

The irony of it..... is that we only remember the sacrifices these veterens make on one day. What about the rest of the year?
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Here's a great song by a Canadian- Terry Kelly.  It's called A Pittance of Time.
 [a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg[/a]

It was important for us to be out there at the ceremony this morning.  Mr LM's grandfather lost a leg in WWII.  And my great uncles volunteered for duty in WWII even though they were born in Canada but not granted Canadian citizenship until 1947.  There's a wonderful memorial wall on the outside of the Chinese Cultural Centre which lists the names of all who served.  (I'm trying to look for a picture of it, but haven't found one yet).

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

never figured how to pay respects to this day.
More of my family died on the "other side" then the "winning side".
about 15 on my mother's side died for Germany at the time
great uncle died when the allies fire bombing raid on the hungarian troops on budapest, they fire bombed a depot, which then spread to parts of the city, it went up in flames. He was trapped, died in the fires.
Opa was a german p.o.w. conscripted into the austrian army then it was taken over by hitler.

Then on the "good side" my great uncle was a purple heart recipent.
And my grandpa fought in japan.
i hate war.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

SD,  it's a good day to remember your relatives, regardless of what "side" they were on.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein