Favorite Sound?

Started by TehBorken, Feb 28 06 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kitten

I love the sound of thunder accompanied by the crackle of lightning.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

kevlar

My parents used to have a hard top tent trailer that we went camping in when I was a kid. I really liked the sound the rain used to make on the roof in the middle of the night . [/DIV]I felt so warm and cozy knowing that it was raining outside..  ah, memories..

P.C.

It's funny that the sound of rain, seems to be a common favourite (I too love the sound of rain on almost anything....particularly a tent or canopy) and yet it's eqally as common to complain about the rain. [/DIV]It must have something to do with sheltering ourselves from the elements that makes us feel so warm.[/DIV][img style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px" src="http://ghettobaby.net/Emoticons/2005OctoberSet/rain.gif"]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

primefactor

Rain hitting almost anything.
The wafer-thin pages of dictionaries being turned.
Train whistles far away.
Church bells far away. (Though I don't like churches, or organized religion in general. It's just one of those things, I guess...)
The click of various latches shutting all the way.
The cry that newborns have for the first few weeks.
Tire chains on a newly snowy street, that nice squeak/crunch/jingle.
And I know I SHOULD hate it, because it may eventually kill her, but the sound of my mother smoking has always been strangely comforting. I would never tell her this.

P.C.

Ooooooo, that's another good one primefactor....those deliciously thin pages......LOVE that, or onion skin, wrapping tissue and tracing paper.

I like the sound of snow too, although without the tires.  That cornstarch crunch when you walk in the silence.  It's a blended experience combining sound and feel.

...and as I was typing this post, it reminded me that I've always liked the sound the keyboard makes, although computers on TV always sound a little bit better.

primefactor

Dorky as it sounds, I love the empty fullness of silence.

And sadly, I am forced to miss it, because I have some pretty bad inner-ear damage from antibiotics, so I have tinnitus which has gotten steadily louder and [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]louder [/span]over the years.

You never get to a point where you can tune it out, unfortunately. And I remember very clearly the sound of nothingness, and miss it.

Some nights the only thing that keeps me from wishing I was deaf is that I wouldn't get to hear any of the good noises either, the ones about which I was speaking earlier.

Hissing sounds (like tap water), crowd mumbling, and music are nearly intolerable to me.

P.C.

That sounds miserable, primefactor.  I'm glad that you can at least hear the good stuff, but I too would miss absolute silence.  Absence of white noise, when the power goes out or that 'muffled' silence when you've had a good snowfall.

primefactor

Eh, I've got nothing to whine about, really.  If they hadn't poured Gentamicin into both arms for a month solid, I'd be dead. I'll take a little ear damage any day.

The cool thing about having almost croaked when I was a teenager is that even now, twenty years later, I wake up almost every morning going, "Yay! Bonus day!"

It's good for perspective.

kitten

What an amazing person you are, primefactor.  I admire your courage.  I think that if I were to lose one of my senses, my sight would be the worst, followed closely by the loss of hearing.

kitten

Thinking of sounds, My favourite must be the sound of coffee perking first thing in the morning.  Oh, and the aroma....Mmmmmmmm!

primefactor

kitten wrote:
[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"] the sound of coffee perking[/span]

When I was a kid, we had a glass coffee percolator, and one of my favorite visual comfort memories is watching the little blurps of coffee splat over the top of the percolator tube and spread into the water like brown mermaid hair.

P.C.

primefactor and kitten, you're perking up some lovely thoughts.  (a little off topic, but I'm going to slide it in anyways)  I have this HUGE straight sided vase, that I never have enough flowers to fill.  But it still makes a nice centre-piece for the table if you do the fireworks in a jar thing) .  Your description of the coffee mingling with the water reminded me.

(tablespoon of veggie oil, drops of food colours....stir, poor into vase.)

primefactor

I love it! Gorgeous!

That's it, I'm buying food colouring tomorrow.

kitten

Wow, P.C.!!  I've never seen anything like that.  What a splendid idea.

P.C.

You've all got the juices flowing.  Been giving some thought to some unforgotten simple pleasures involving sound....the ones that almost connect us to our childhood.

Ice was mentioned, and I like the sound of ice cracking.... not in a beverage, but the kind of ice on a puddle.  That 'slow busting' sound.  I remember as a kid running to the next fresh unbroken frozen puddle.

|