Cooking ideas?

Started by greycat, Oct 26 06 03:28

Previous topic - Next topic

greycat

Does anyone have some really easy but nutritious recipes for suppers? My husband and i work dumb hours and dont get around to shopping as much as we should, we eat stupid things for supper and i really want to make better meals! I need the ideas to be fairly easy, few ingredients, but healthy...any ideas welcomed!
It is what it is.

P.C.

Have you considered having a day of nothing but cooking.  Make a lasagne (veggie lasagne if that would suit you better)...maybe a chicken pot-pie and a huge pot of minestroni soup.  Divide them into meal size portions and freeze.  Pop a couple out of the freezer in the morn, heat when you get home and add a salad......dinner!
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

I know what you mean greycat.  I'm in the same situation.

Marinate your chicken drumsticks either overnight.

The next day, put it in the oven and bake uncovered.  In a pot, steam broccolli with slivered ginger.  Yup, put your steamer basket in the pot, drop in some brocolli florets and add some ginger on top.  You could even drink the juice from the brocolli and ginger.  And that, is the best.  Oh, and sprinkle some salt in the water as well.

That is one of my easiest meals and healthy.

I also like to make soups as well.

So, take chicken drumsticks, chopped celery, carrots, red lentils, green lentils, green peas, brocolli, mushrooms and onions and put them in a large pot.  Let it cook and simmer for about 2 hours.  That's chicken soup for ya.  

Sportsdude

wow purelife that sounds awesome.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Thanks SD.

Your quesadillas sounded quick and easy.

Oh, greycat, you could also make wraps, sandwiches, salads, depending on whether you feel like something cold or hot.

With salads, I like to put roasted pine nuts and slivered almonds.  It adds that crunchiness.  For dressing, I just stick with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and sesame oil.  

Spaghetti sauce is quick and easy to make as well.  Take a jar of sauce, mix with ground beef, peas, chopped celery, zuchinni, onions, garlic, mushrooms and voila, your sauce is ready.  Oh, and add whatever spices you like.  Then, boil the spaghetti and you're done.

Sportsdude

Yeah those are super simple. just need a skillet pan, tortilla chese some pre cooked or packaged chicken and shredded cheese. And some salsa if you like or some olives or jalopenos and bam you've got something to eat.

Lise

I've got a very simple recipe. Salmon with salsa.

1) fillet of salmon

2) juice of 1/2 lemon

3) dried oregano

4) pinch of garlic

5) salt & pepper to taste

6) olive oil

7) foil

Place fish in foil, add all the ingredients on fillet then wrapped the fillet with the foil. Poke some holes in the foil. Pop in oven and let it cook till fish is tender.

Salsa recipe:

1) 2 firm ripe tomatoes

2) cilantro

3) 1/2 small red onion

4) dash of lemon

5) dash of pepper

6) 1/2 jalapeno pepper (optional - don't put if you don't like it spicy)

Mix all together. Serve on fillet once the fish is cooked. You can also add avacadoes or mango to the salsa if you like.

Throw in boiled potatoes or rice on the side.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Simple Greek salad recipe. Really easy to make and is a definite crowd pleaser.

a) 1 red capsicum

b) 1 green capsicum

c) 1 small cucumber

d) 1 small red onion

e) crumpled feta cheese

f) olive (optional)

e) small dash of olive oil

g) 1/2 lemon

h) dried oregano

Mix all together and viola... instant Greek salad. Dead easy.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

lise, when am i coming over for dinner?

greycat

Thanks, those are some great ideas. I like the idea of a cooking day and freezing stuff! Any other easy soup ideas would be great too...does anyone use a slow cooker?
It is what it is.

Sportsdude

crock pots rule. Yeah my grandma cooks and freezes now she's too old doesn't have the energy to cook anymore [FONT size=1](damn piece of shit stalin and his gulags, I want to spit on his grave)[/FONT]  

Russ

ya I love using the crock pot. Its a new toy I like playing with. You can make spagball sauce, leg of lambs, and wicked chili's/
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

If you go to Costco, greycat, right now they have a 'slow-cook recipe book.  It's awesome.  SO updated from the old, 'throw a pot roast in' recipes.  

There are recipes for foccasia (sp?), rice dishes.....some REALLY good stuff.  I could open a library with the amount of books I have, and porobably 1/4 of them are cook books.  I said "NO MORE"....but I had to get that one....lol

I love my crockpot.  I would like a new one, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.  Mine is very small.....perfect for two.  All the new ones are family size.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

greycat wrote:
Does anyone have some really easy but nutritious recipes for suppers?

Welll...if you don't mind me pimping a site I have a vested interest in, you can always go [a href="http://royalrecipes.com"]here[/a].  

Try the [a href="http://royalrecipes.com/reverse.php"]Reverse Recipe Search[/a] thingamajig while you're there. It let's you plug in whatever stuff you have onhand and then finds recipes that you can make with those ingredients. Also has a [a href="http://royalrecipes.com/dictionary.php"]Cook's Dictionary[/a] and [a href="http://royalrecipes.com/recipe_4531.htm"]linked ingredient lists[/a].

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

kingy wrote:
lise, when am i coming over for dinner?[/DIV]
 Anytime, hon. Just bring your sheep.
Bill Cosby.