More Counterfeit Stuff

Started by TehBorken, Oct 24 06 01:56

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

There isn't anything that some weasel won't counterfeit if they can....
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
A Network World report discusses the growing problem of [a href="http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/102306counterfeit.html"]counterfeit networking equipment[/a]. The article surveys the whole grey-market phenomenon, which is by no means limited to Cisco gear — they just happen to be its biggest target.

From the article: "Thirty cards turned out to be counterfeit... Despite repeated calls and e-mails to his supplier, Atec Group, the issue was not resolved... How did a registered Cisco reseller (also a platinum Network Appliance partner and gold partner to Microsoft and Symantec) acquire the counterfeit WAN interface cards in the first place?... Phony network equipment [has] been quietly creeping into sales and distribution channels since early 2004... Counterfeit gear has become a big problem that could put networks — and health and safety — at risk.

"Nobody wants to say they've got counterfeit gear inside their enterprises that can all of a sudden stop working. But it's all over the place, just like pirated software is everywhere," says Sharon Mills, director of IT procurement organization Caucus.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Uh can someone explain this to me. Is it digital or what? WHAT is counterfeitted. And how is that bad?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

kingy

so my d-link router might not actually be a d-link router? meh, it still works.

TehBorken

Russ wrote:
Uh can someone explain this to me. Is it digital or what? WHAT is counterfeitted.

The fake items are expensive pieces of network gear. If they were installed at your ISP or business you could (would) have trouble using the net, getting email reliably, etc.

And how is that bad?

They're bad in the same way that counterfeit prescription drugs are bad- they don't do what they're supposed to. Think about it. Would you want to take fake heart medication?

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.