Crow problem

Started by Lise, Oct 21 06 01:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Here's my tiff with those stupid black birds.... they're digging, scratching, pulling out turfs of grass from my front lawn. Now it looks so damn ugly, it is downright embarassing. I've cleared up the place but every evening, those blasted birds return to do their dirty deed again.

Does anyone know why they're doing this and how can I stop them apart from running out like a mad woman and waving my arms about?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

They are after grubs.  Larvae.  Fall is a good time to treat your lawn if you have them, and it sounds like you do.  It can be done safely with nematodes. Ask at your local Buckerfields or Art Knapps.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Do it like we do it down here in the flats.. get out the shotgun. LOL!

Make a scare crow for halloween. LOL!
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

Unless you are shooting the grubs that won't help your lawn.  The crows are trying to keep the grub population down.  If they don't, you might wind up without a lawn.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

LondonBoy

[TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="85%" height="100%"]  

Lise Wrote

[DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%"] Does anyone know why they're doing this and how can I stop them apart from running out like a mad woman and waving my arms about?[/DIV]

Try singing to the blackbirds...........maybe they will respond to your sweet voice..........

You can sing can't you.........

[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom width="85%"][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
If You Believe In The Will Of God, The Will Of Satan Will Never Destroy Thee.

Lise

Larvae in my lawn. Eeeoww.... eeeoooww..... yuck. OK. I'll take PC's idea and try to treat them, maybe it'll get rid of those damn birds.

Dunno about shooting larvae into their faces, maybe I'll just shoot LB at them instead.[FONT size=1] (just kidding)[/FONT]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

It's actually a good thing the crows are there, Lise.  And the small tufts of grass they are pulling out are probably beneficial.  Kinda like natures aerating.  The grubs eat from the roots....no coming back from that.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

What the crows are doing is aerating the  lawn, which is healthy for the grass in future.  You can spend a fortune getting some gardener in to do the job, or you can let the crows go ahead for free.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

LondonBoy

Lise Wrote :

Dunno about shooting larvae into their faces, maybe I'll just shoot LB at them instead.[FONT size=1] (just kidding)[/FONT]

[FONT size=1][/FONT]

[FONT size=1][/FONT]

[FONT size=4]ROFL[/FONT]

[FONT size=4][/FONT]

[FONT size=4][/FONT]

[FONT size=4][/FONT]

If You Believe In The Will Of God, The Will Of Satan Will Never Destroy Thee.

Lise

Yeah, I can see your point, kitten and PC but it's still unsightly. It's like someone rampaging across the lawn and ripping off the grass here and there.

Oh well. I'll see what happens next year, fingers cross the lawn will eventually gain the green back.

Thanks again, y'all.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

One of my friends that has a house out in New West had the same problem. Only it was racoons and squirells as well.

We found out about the larvae and other stuff from a lawn guy he had come out to try to solve the problem. We tried everything we could thing of, including him buying flats of beer and giving us bb guns for a few nights. After the second night the neighbors complained and we stopped.

He had a few treatments of something put on his lawn by the guy, aereated (sp?), and some time eroding sticks that the guy pounded into the lawn every few square meters.

After 8 months he had a nice lawn.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Eroding sticks? What kinda eroding sticks and where do you get them?
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Lise wrote:
 Eroding sticks? What kinda eroding sticks and where do you get them?[/DIV]
 I just tried calling him but he's out. I left a message so when he gets back to me Ill let you know.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Adam_Fulford

Crows are magnificient and noble beings.

BlakbirdjectoR

lize jsut throw some scrap food out into the street and they will leave youre lawn alone.

dont underestimate the birds they are smarter than humans