Emerson says he can win as a Conservative in an Election

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 27 06 01:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV id=headline][H2]Can win despite backlash, Emerson says [/H2][/DIV][DIV id=author][P class=byline]TERRY WEBER

[P class=source]Globe and Mail Update

[UL class=columnistInfo][/UL][/DIV][DIV id=article style="FONT-SIZE: 100%"]Controversial International Trade Minister David Emerson said Monday he thinks he could still win an election as a Conservative despite the continuing furor over his decision to switch teams just weeks after January's election.

"I actually do think I could probably win an election as a Conservative," Mr. Emerson said, appearing on CTV Newsnet. "The whole issue of whether a by-election or part of the next general election, of course, is a point of some debate."

Mr. Emerson stunned voters in his Vancouver-area riding early this month when he showed up at the swearing-in of the new Tory government and was named to Prime Minister Stephen Harper's cabinet even through he ran and won as Liberal only two weeks earlier.

[DIV class="bigbox ad" id=boxR][SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript ads="1"]aPs="boxR";[/SCRIPT][SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript]var boxRAC = fnTdo('a'+'ai',300,250,ai,'j',nc);[/SCRIPT][/DIV]Mr. Harper said he tapped Mr. Emerson because he wanted to strengthen regional representation in his cabinet. Despite gains in many regions of the country, the Conservatives failed to win any seats in Canada's three largest cities – Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

Mr. Harper also appointed Michael Fortier, a key party organizer in Quebec, as Public Works Minister even though Mr. Fortier did not run in the Jan. 23 election. Mr. Fortier was appointed to the Senate to allow him to hold the cabinet post.

Mr. Emerson's appointment has prompted continuing debate about whether the one-time Liberal cabinet minister should resign and face a by-election as a Tory. In last month's election, the Conservatives finished third to the Liberals and the NDP in Mr. Emerson's riding of Vancouver Kingsway.

On Friday, four protesters were charged as part of a sit-in at Mr. Emerson's constituency office. The demonstrators had vowed to stay where they were until Mr. Emerson agreed to meet with them.

The NDP have also asked federal Ethics Commissioner Bernard Shapiro to look into Mr. Emerson's conduct. Some members of Mr. Harper's own caucus have also spoken out against the move.

On Monday, Mr. Emerson said he finds it "a little strange" that there should be specific provisions for his crossing but not for others who have made similar moves in the past.

"What I'm saying is I will abide by the rules that all parliamentarians agree to abide by," he said.

Last year, former Conservative Belinda Stronach triggered a political firestorm when she cross the floor to join the Liberals on the eve of a crucial confidence vote.

The decision earned Ms. Stronach harsh criticism from her former Tory colleagues, some of whom vowed to press for new rules to govern when party members could switch sides.

I doubt it, the differnce between emerson and stronach is that she did it in mid term, while emerson did it right after an election. Kingsway is pissed and I think this just throws more fuel on the fire.

[/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

academe

i don't think so!  i'd like to see him try...if he wins...well then so be it...if he loses...well...so then be it...

Lisa Maree

I think the vote should go to the people and see if they really support him in parliament.  It's the democratic thing to do.

Alumni

He can win again in an election, but not in Vancouver Kingsway. Perhaps out in the Kootenays or Alberta! Thanks for nothing David!
"People Who Don't Make a Commitment to Me Don't Get My Time" - Annonymous CEO