Single Parents

Started by LondonBoy, Oct 19 06 04:36

Previous topic - Next topic

LondonBoy

A bit of my sensitive side. I'm a single parent with a nine year old daughter. Since my divorce, actually nine years ago, I was awarded sole custody of our child in the divorce courts, ( I'll maybe talk about my divorce once I'm settled in DS on how I got sole custody being a guy and all that ). Since, I have never regretted raising my daughter as a single parent. Is anyone else out there a single parent aswell...male or female....any experiences to share......      
If You Believe In The Will Of God, The Will Of Satan Will Never Destroy Thee.

CK

Single dad here. My wife passed away when my boy was very young. She got hit by a drunk driver. Times have been rough, but I kept trucking along. I don't take any time for granted when I am with him.

purelife

I notice so many people around me who have been in a failed marriage/common law relationship before with or without kids.  With kids, it's certainly tough.  But so many people move on and become more happy.  I know because I've been in the situation.  I won't go into details because this is a truly touchy thing in my life as well.

Knowing how to move on is key, I think. [/DIV]

P.C.

Knowing how to move on is key, I think.

SO true.  I think too many people don't realize the work that needs to be done BEFORE you move on.  When you are getting caught up in a new realtionship you naturally start feeling better, and this is often mistaken for 'healing'.  In fact, you have just started a new relationship in a mode that isn't your true self.  That's why 6 months down the road, that one starts to crumble too.

I know it sounds like a lot of psycho-babble, but if you don't fix the things about yourself, that led to the failure of your last relationship, you'll take that right along with you into the new one.  (yup, it takes two to make it work and two to make it fail)

You absolutely have to get yourself to totally enjoy your own company.....to be 100% happy to be alone.  Adding someone to your life at this point is cream.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
 I know it sounds like a lot of psycho-babble, but if you don't fix the things about yourself, that led to the failure.

You absolutely have to get yourself to totally enjoy your own company.....to be 100% happy to be alone.  [/DIV]
 Thats great advice even for people who aren't in relationships. I've been struggling for quite a while with the enjoying myself and being happy alone. Never have gotten used to it. Its a struggle everyday and heck I've never been in a relationship, lol.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

LondonBoy

Damnnnnnnnnnn.....you guys are so beautiful in thought and in some cases, face and figure aswell....

It's great to hear from the single parents..............  

TehBorken

I'm a single dad with full custody. Not a pretty story how I got there.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

While I'm not in the same situation, I honestly admire you folks who go through life being a single parent with kid(s). I don't know if I can be as strong as some of you guys.

Keep on with the good work. You are an inspiration to me.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

LondonBoy

Where there is a will... there is always a way.............        

P.C.

Lise wrote:

I don't know if I can be as strong as some of you guys.

If you needed to be, you would be.  

I think that's what parenthood does to us.

Here's hoping you may never have to find out, Lise.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

LondonBoy wrote:
Where there is a will... there is always a way.............

If there was a will, my ex wanted to be in it. Preferably as sole executor.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
[em]Lise wrote:[/em]
[em]I don't know if I can be as strong as some of you guys.[/em]

If you needed to be, you would be.

I agree- you would be. You'd rise to the occasion, as they say.