Listening for cancer

Started by TehBorken, Oct 17 06 03:43

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Frickin' cool. Tremendous possibilities.

[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]According to researchers at the University of Missouri-Columbia, it's now possible to detect skin cancer cells present in blood samples by [a href="http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-10/osoa-ltt101606.php"]listening to the sound of melanoma cells[/a].

"The scientists have used a method named photoacoustic detection, which uses a laser to make cells vibrate and ultrasound techniques to pick the sound of cancerous cells. This technique is so precise that it's possible to identify the spread of cancer even if there are only ten melanoma cells in a blood sample. Still, large clinical tests must be done before this method can be widely used."
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
Unfortunately, the lasers used actually cause skin cancer in the process. Ha! Just kidding!
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Amazing! I didn't know cancer makes sound. Some research claim that some form of cancer(s) give off a faint scent which dogs can pick up. Hence why a select number of very special dogs are trained to detect cancer.

Go figure.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

i wonder what kind of conversation they are having.

Sportsdude

my army of red and white blood cells are pretty strong, they've got the most modern technology and attack at will.... I hope, but family history says otherwise although I haven't been sick in years.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Sportsdude wrote:
 my army of red and white blood cells are pretty strong, they've got the most modern technology and attack at will.... I hope, but family history says otherwise although I haven't been sick in years.[/DIV]
 Im pretty healthy despite my healthstyle. But I have a bad history of family health problems as well; heart attacks, high blood pressure, and alzheimers (sp?). Luckily nobody in my family has contacted or passed from cancer or other problems directly related to smoking.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims