Got Chocolate?

Started by TehBorken, Oct 17 06 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

I have no idea why anyone would do this, except perhaps to win a prize for the "[a href="http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1533592006"]most impractical thing ever built[/a]".

[font size="1"]Outdoor survival students construct a 3,600 kg (7,937 pounds) igloo from 10 kg
blocks of chocolate at the Eurochocolate festival in Perugia, Italy, October 14, 2006.[/font]

Home sweet home -- Italians build chocolate igloo

PERUGIA, Italy (Reuters) - Four Italians have constructed what they believe is the world's first full-sized chocolate igloo but they have yet to solve an age-old problem.

It still melts.

"It was a tough thing to do, much more difficult than building a normal snow igloo," Marco Fanti, 45, who used to race cars in desert rallies, told Reuters as he stood beside the 1.65-metre-high, dome-shaped traditional Inuit shelter made of some 330 dark chocolate bricks.

Fanti and fellow instructors at a survival school took 23 hours working with tricky, crumbling chocolate material to construct what they believe to be the world's first chocolate igloo for the Eurochocolate fair in Perugia. They normally build one made of snow, for survival courses, within three to four hours.

Fanti said it has yet to be decided what to do with the 3.6- tonne igloo -- which is kept indoors and will start melting at above 30 C -- when the fair ends on Oct 22.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Has anyone actually made an igloo like this? With snow not chocolate I mean.

We tried a few years ago to make one using small rubbermaid containers packed full of snow as a template, instead of using densely packed snow cause finding that around here isnt easy. After the first 10 we gave up and went back inside where it was warm to rum and egg nogs. Thats the closest Ive come. Anyone?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

LondonBoy

What's an igloo ??   ;-)          
If You Believe In The Will Of God, The Will Of Satan Will Never Destroy Thee.

P.C.

My dad built us an igloo in our back yard when we were kids.  IN VANCOUVER no less !!!  He built it as one is supposed to build an igloo.....no sandcastle form.  I'll see if I can find the pic and post it.  It was very cool.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

CK

I think my girlfriend would like that chocolate igloo. She claims chocolate is up there with ice cream, sex being a few notches below thes two items??

kitten

Kids in our neighbourhood used to build snow forts and then fight to see who got to sit inside.  You would go home drenched and frozen, but then go back and do it again.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

CK

LondonBoy wrote:
What's an igloo ??   ;-)

When you drive from the USA to Canada, once you get across the border, there is nothing but dogsleds and igloos.

I would post a pic of an igloo, but can't post pictures at work.

kitten

Shame on you, CK!  You know the igloos are only built to house the important buildings, like Parliament and other government buildings.  The rest of us live in tepees.

CK

you are lucky enough to get a teepee? kitten, you must be wealthy! Meet??

kitten

Well, I have to share it on a rotating basis.  Each one of us gets four hours sleep before turning it over to the next frozen entrant.

kingy

do you use saskatewan seal skin for your teepees?

kitten

No, it has to be Nova Scotian polar bear to withstand the extreme cold in Vancouver.