Watching TV Might Cause Autism?

Started by TehBorken, Oct 17 06 06:19

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Cornell University researchers are reporting what appears to be a [a href="http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/faculty/profiles/waldman/autpaper.html"]statistically significant relationship between autism rates and television watching[/a] by children under the age of 3. The researchers studied autism incidence in California, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington state.

They found that as cable television became common in California and Pennsylvania beginning around 1980, childhood autism rose more in the counties that had cable than in the counties that did not. They further found that in all the Western states, the more time toddlers spent in front of the television, the more likely they were to exhibit symptoms of autism disorders. The Cornell study represents a potential bombshell in the autism debate.  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Crap. There goes my cheap-ass babysitter.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Give your kids toys and play soft music for them.  That should keep them quiet and happy, until they do a study proving that music and toys cause something dangerous to happen.  Should be one of those coming along any day now.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Lise

Actually, my little girl's not too bad with viewing the telly. Is not at all interested in watching except for Dora the Explorer (what is it that kids find this Spanish girl so interesting?) and a few shows.

With regards to toys, you'd be amazed at how fast they lose interest in them. Pick a few toys, play for a couple of minutes then discard then they want your attention. There is no toy out there that is the perfect toy that will engage a toddler for hours upon hours. I really wish there's one though. The person who invents this will be a millionaire, I can guarantee you that.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

What is needed is a nice soft robot Nanny.  That would solve a lot of problems.

TehBorken

Lise wrote:
Crap. There goes my cheap-ass babysitter.

Lol. I myself almost never watch TV....there's rarely anything on that interests me, so much of it is just insipid crap. I watch movies once in a while, but regular TV just doesn't do it for me.

Lise

Oh yes, Ms. kitten!! Would love a robot nanny and I'd pick any of the 911 Nanny on tv. Actually, come to think of it, I would rather the nanny come in the shape of Mr. Brad Pitt.  
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I watched the news when I was a toddler. Didn't like the whole dora the explorer stuff.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

kitten wrote:
What is needed is a nice soft robot Nanny.  

Yeah, I'd like oneof those for me, lol. [a href="http://realdoll.com/"]These things[/a] are just too expensive. (caution, NSFW)

kitten

You could always rent it out when you aren't using it, TehBorken.  You might defray some of the cost that way.

Gopher

Kitten! I'm ashamed of you - just what are you suggesting?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

TehBorken

kitten wrote:
You could always rent it out when you aren't using it, TehBorken.  You might defray some of the cost that way.

Hmmmmm.....no, I better not. I was thinking "bachelor parties", but noooooo.....Bad idea. Although when I add it up, it  comes to about a 1/10th what my ex-wife cost me.

Sportsdude

eh, I prefer the real thing. Real people always better then robots.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

I was going to cite the government to prove you wrong, but then I thought about it and....
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Since robots don't require sleep, you could get a lot of use out of them, one way or another.  Of course I'm simply referring to housework, babysitting, entertaining your friends while you are busy.  Perfectly innocent occupations.   lol