Once skeptics, Tories now preaching Kyoto climate-change gospel

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 27 06 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Once skeptics, Tories now preaching Kyoto climate-change gospel [!-- END HEADLINE --][DIV id=ynmain][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --][DIV id=storybody][DIV class=storyhdr][SPAN]DENNIS BUECKERT[/SPAN][EM class=timedate]Fri Feb 24, 5:18 PM ET[/i]

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV][/DIV]OTTAWA (CP) - Environment Minister Rona Ambrose is jetting to Bonn this weekend to prepare for talks on extending the Kyoto Protocol, and will soon unveil an ambitious new plan for cutting Canada's greenhouse emissions.

Although the Conservatives opposed ratification of the climate treaty while in opposition, they appear to have undergone a conversion, promising to do a better job of cutting emissions than the Liberals ever did.

"There's an action plan that we are going to move on very quickly," Ambrose said in an interview with The Canadian Press on Friday. "I'm very committed. The prime minister has given me a very strong mandate."

She said the action plan will include an emissions-trading system for large polluters and will try to engage the public in a new way.

"I think we not only have the political will from the prime minister, and from myself and my colleagues, on this issue, we also have the public will on our side."

An emissions-trading system would allow polluters to buy and sell emissions permits either domestically or internationally, so that cuts can be implemented at lower cost.

Canadians can also expect early tabling of a Clean Air Act, as promised during the election campaign, but it will be aimed at other types of air pollution, not greenhouse emissions, she said.

Under the Kyoto Protocol, Canada is committed to cutting greenhouse emissions six per cent below 1990 levels by 2012. Despite promises from the Liberal government, emissions rose 24 per cent since 1990.

"We're at a crucial turning point in Canada to address this issue," said Ambrose. "There hasn't been a lot of action on the file and for that reason we haven't seen the results.

"We feel very strongly that we need to engage the public both in terms of our strategy and outreach but also in creating incentives and programs that reach the individual level in Canada."

She said she's looking forward to her role as president of the Conference of Parties to the Kyoto Protocol, a rotating position held by Canada this year.

In May, member countries will begin negotiations aimed at deeper cuts in emissions, beyond those in the current protocol, and extending further into the future. Ambrose will meet with key officials involved in those talks, and with one or two European environment ministers, when she goes to Bonn.

"It gives us an opportunity to talk about where Canada wants to go. There's a very strong openness now within this organization to start talking about greenhouse gas reduction and where were going to go globally."

Kyoto signatories are required to submit reports in March showing they have made substantial progress toward their targets. Ambrose said Canada will submit a report. The new plan will likely be a major component in it.

"We're making a lot of progress. I can speak about it only in vague terms only out of respect for my colleagues in caucus and around the cabinet table.

"As well, I'm meeting with a lot of ministers of the environment at the provincial level and territorial level and a lot of these initiatives involve the provinces and the municipalities."

Matthew Bramley of the Pembina Institute said he was delighted by the tone of Ambrose's remarks. He said it is not uncommon for opposition parties to change their views on entering government.

But he added a note of caution, saying that the real proof of the government's commitment will be in its policies.

Wow, have they finally seen the light.

[/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
Wow, have they finally seen the light.

I can see it now. Tomorrow's headline:

BUSH DECLARES CANADA "A TERRORISTICAL NATION",  ORDERS PREEMPTIVE BOMBING OF ENTIRE COUNTRY

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

CK

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]BUSH DECLARES CANADA "A TERRORISTICAL NATION",  ORDERS PREEMPTIVE BOMBING OF ENTIRE COUNTRY[/SPAN][/DIV][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]Fortunately, Bush probably couldn't find Canada on a North American map. (am I in trouble now for slamming George W.?)[/SPAN][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]

[/SPAN]

Sportsdude

Yeah when he came to Ottawa last year he probly said "wow I didn't know Toronto was such a beatiful city."

Ask anyone on the street they will say Toronto is the capital of Canada. And Quebec is there own country. Or they won't even know that Quebec speaks french.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Witch

Tories backing of their rhetoric once they get into power? Nooooooo Waaaaaaay!

kitten

I think it is one of those feel-good statements that will get pushed bak until they figure everyone has forgotten about it.  Or at least until the next election, whereupon it will be trotted out as part of the new to-do list.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.