Job Shortages in Coquitlam, BC

Started by Lise, Oct 15 06 05:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Was at Coquitlam mall yesterday and I couldn't believe my eyes....

Virtually every store had a desk set out to entice ppl to join their store. You can virtually walk up to any of the stores you're interested in applying, hand in your resume and get an interview there and then. Chances of hiring very, very good.

So if you know anyone who's out there looking for a job, head to Coquitlam mall this week. Come to think of it, head down to any mall for that matter.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

i keep hearing about the lack of workers but most of these jobs are min wage jobs. the local ski hills are doing a hiring blitz as well.

Lise

True enough, kingy.... there's more pay and benefits working with construction. I was just amazed to see this happening at the mall.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

kingy wrote:
 i keep hearing about the lack of workers but most of these jobs are min wage jobs. the local ski hills are doing a hiring blitz as well.

Yeah, I heard in the news they are hiring from overseas as well. Seasonal workers.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

lol, here the youngins have a hard time getting mall jobs because more 40 somethings are taking the jobs because they're getting laid off at there normal work. Unemployment among teenagers is around 50% here. I mean who's the employer going to hire? An experienced worker or some teenager. Heck even baggers at grocery stores are being taken by 30's, 40's and 50's somethings.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

CK

It is crazy hey? Seems to be a common theme across even the poor parts of BC these days, all the way to Sask.

We are having a hard time hiring people too. Pretty much will pay more than what people are asking for too. Just need to find people in the first place.

Lise

I have heard that the government has just passed a law allowing overseas students to work part time while they study here. That's how desperate BC has become.

Despite the number of job openings, there are still wayyyy too many homeless ppl on the street. Ironic.
Bill Cosby.

CK

Lise wrote:
I have heard that the government has just passed a law allowing overseas students to work part time while they study here. That's how desperate BC has become.

Despite the number of job openings, there are still wayyyy too many homeless ppl on the street. Ironic.[/DIV]
 I know, that is sad.

What is brutal? Calgary's housing soared over the past year. Real estate went up so fast, thus, renting climbed too fast. They stupid province never imagined the need for rent control??? DUH! So now, the homeless population has more than tripled. Lots of these homeless have 2 jobs, and still can't find an affordable place to live. I count my blessings every day I tuck myself into a bed under a roof.

Lise

CK, what's the average price for a house with two bedrooms?
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Malls always have great difficulty looking for employees because they're only interested in part-timers.  And we're mainly interesting in ful-time employment.  Plus, school started and I know that many students just couldn't keep their summer hours.  Yup, it's tough.

I would only work in retail for the 40-50% discount in clothing.  Hmmm.....

CK

Lise wrote:
CK, what's the average price for a house with two bedrooms?[/DIV]
 I am not sure of average with 2 bedrooms. But I know an average house in Calgary is over $410,000 now. That is an average house in the burbs. Downtown and inner city is a lot more. I heard the avererage condo is over $295,000? Not 100% sure on that. Prices have cooled, but not dropping either.

weird al

-the homeless population has more than tripled-

Alberta winters are nothing to sneeze at. With that kind of homeless population, there's bound to be a lot of deaths from exposure. I remember Calgary being kind of hard-nosed towards  people that were down-and out . Hope that's changed, but I doubt it.

weird al

CK

Not sure Wierd Al. The city built a massive drop-in centre, but already need about 3 more just to keep up. I guess yesterday at a CFL game, they had a fundraiser and people donated thousands of blankets and coats and raised thousands of dollars for coats for the homeless.

Places like Mykonos Greek restaurant made over 1000 turkey dinners for the homeless on Thanksgiving. This was just 1 restaurant.

As a former Lower Mainlander myself, I used to think Calgary was nothing but a heartless place too, but I am being proved wrong.

weird al

I enjoyed the people (Calgarians in general) when I was there, but as for a safety net for the homeless (men anyway), there was only one place - the Single Men's Hostel, about which nightmare stories abounded. Good to hear things are better now. Nice bunch of people, Calgarians - rough & ready too. Only place I've ever seen fistfights (2) at stoplights! : )