Assistance Please ?

Started by P.C., Oct 13 06 09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Digital photos are the least of my problems, nor are the things on my portfolio.  I spent months scanning old family photos, that I have no way of getting back unless some of this stuff can be retrieved.

I did an inventory of every thing in my home, and saved that on a CD also.  THAT was a lot of work.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kingy

is it possible that your cd rom is busted and not the cd's  

P.C.

I wish it were that simple, kingy.  Unfortunately it's not the case.  I've been transferring what I have left onto DVD's and many of them work fine.

Moolah!

If the corrupt media is a CD, then you might be out of luck.

I have a similar problem and haven't found a solution yet. (My CD-ROM drive works perfectly well with other CDs... )

Even a funnier thing is, my floppies from 10 years back and all the backups of small utilities etc on them are still perfectly readable.

My Excel CD, only 2-3 years old, became unreadable 8-9 months ago and I have no other backup of it.

Tried all sorts of "recovery" programs that made endless claims. They were totally useless. I thought they were like bloated file managers. Haven't been able to access the CD since then... [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_shy.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

P.C.

Well, the guy that hubby sent the last batch to, did manage to recover a good portion of the files, but the photos weren't among them.

I have CD's from years back, that are just fine.  The funny thing is, the ones that are still readable, have those 'CD Stomper' labels on them.  Back when I did them, the computer whiz guy told me I was crazy for using them, as they would damage the disks.  

Russ

Sorry to hear about the loss of your family history. I too have heard about cd's being bad for storing data longterm, especially pictures. I would suggest if you havent already done so get a portable hardrive. I got two of those now and use one for pictures and one for information/ important document scans.

Where are you taking the disc's to get this done? Im curious for I have heard about this but know nothing about it.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I'm not sure, Russ.  It's the guy that does all the tech support at my hubby's business.  I'll ask him, but I don't know it'll do much for you......I'm on the island.