Dear Hillary: Don't Run

Started by Democrat, Feb 27 06 08:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Democrat

Dear Hillary: Don't Run

[a href="http://www.tbo.com/news/opinion/editorials/MGBHY2DC3KE.html"]http://www.tbo.com/news/opinion/editorials/MGBHY2DC3KE.html[/a]
Published: Feb 25, 2006

Dear Hillary:

We'd like to welcome you to Tampa for your fundraiser today, and thank you for your long service to our country and your party.

We expect that after your re-election this fall as junior senator from New York, you will dedicate yourself to seeking a higher office. But you're a pragmatist, Hillary, so we urge you to be satisfied with the Senate.

If you run for president, chances are good that you'll secure your party's nomination. But realistically, how do you think you can win the White House? You are the most polarizing figure in the Democratic Party, and your negatives among likely voters are prohibitively high. Many people simply don't trust you. You may share your husband's name, but what people liked about him is not transferable to you.

You are not the person to help define a party that needs to convince voters it can govern from the vital center.

Even yellow dog Florida Democrats express profound reservations about your presidential ambitions. They worry that you cannot attract moderate and independent voters and that your presence will hurt the election chances of other Democratic candidates up and down the ballot.

They fear, Hillary, that you would doom Democrats to impotence for decades. Republicans might relish that prospect, but on reflection, they would acknowledge the importance of a strong two-party political system. Should the Democratic Party be crippled, the Republican Party is likely to become complacent, uninspired and unaccountable.

Fair or not, you are identified with the far left, and you are not the person to convince voters that Democrats have ideas for keeping families safe and the country secure.

You are not the one who can assure Americans they will have a chance to get ahead.

You may be a champion for women's rights and a strong advocate for children, but you are too much the Washington insider to convince voters you would fix a political system that seems remote from everyday life.

If you run, you'll position yourself from the center, knowing full well that even if you alienate your base, they'll support you, because they have no one else to turn to.

But even if you moderate your positions, you do so at some political risk. When you suddenly support a constitutional amendment to ban flag-burning, your changing position seems superficial and self-serving. Hillary the "moderate progressive" candidate would be a hard sell.

Although you apparently work well with your Senate colleagues, your candidacy would remind voters that you are not a consensus builder. Your health care plan failed during your husband's first term because you were largely tone-deaf. You shut people out, and when things went awry, you blamed the media.

By the time George Bush leaves office in 2009, this country will have had 20 years with either a Bush or Clinton at the helm. Citizens want a break from that White House tradition.

Think, Hillary, not about what you want, but what's best for your party and country.

Please, don't run.

Witch

Spoken like a true nervous closet republican

gt

yeah, I think Democrat is a Republican too.

Dunno

gt wrote:

I'm a Democrat and I sure as hell don't want to see Hillary run. It'll mean the Republicans will win again, because she is totally unelectable. I'm a Dem and I'd never vote for her. I'd vote for the "Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson" ticket before I'd vote for her. Hell, I'd vote for Hitler before I'd vote for her.

Witch

libdave

Just a quote:

The two parties should be almost identical, sothat the American peoplecan throw the rascals out at any electionwithout leading to anyprofound or extensive shifts in policy.
 ~ Professor Carroll Quiqley

gt wrote:

Democrat

Witch wrote:
why?

She's unelectable because there are still a large enough number of people in this country that won't vote for a woman as president no matter who it is. It just doesn't matter to them, you couldn't find a woman on this entire planet who they'd vote for, regardless of who it was. And I'm not talking about just men, either.

It's not right, but believe me, they're out there. (I myself would vote for a woman presidential candidate in a minute if I believed in her.)

No, Hillary is unelectable, and not only because of who she is and what she's done (as if that wasn't enough) but because she's a woman. Again, it's not right but it is reality at the moment.    

Sportsdude

Oh please, my cousins don't like black people and they had to vote between Obama and Keyes 2 years ago. So don't give me that they won't vote for a women crap. Why not what does she have to loose really.

Anyway being a democrat and republican is pretty much pointless these days they are all the same. Thats the in thing now in all politics move towards the middle to become more mainstream.  The result of this is having parties have the same vision. The Republicans will have the same vision as the democrats if Guilani gets the nomination which will be hard for him do to the conservatives in his party. American politics is a dead horse like everything else in this country and you can't fix it because the two rotting corpses in washington won't let you.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Witch

[BLOCKQUOTE][P dir=ltr]Democrat wrote:
Witch wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"]why?[/DIV][/BLOCKQUOTE]She's unelectable because there are still a large enough......[/BLOCKQUOTE]No, I mean why would you vote for Hitler before you'd vote for her? I mean Hitler was a genocidal Maniac who plunged teh world into a chaos of world war.

Whether you think Hillary is good or bad, surely she hasn't done anything near as heinous as Hitler... yet you'd vote for the "most evil man of all time" over her.

Sounds to me like reason hasn't realy entered into your decision making process?  

Sportsdude

If you take away the evil side of hitler of the hate, war, idealogy and what not hitler actually brought Germany back from the dead. The automobile industry in Germany was in shambles and he brought it back started the autobahn which led to the american interstate system. Gave us the olympic torch, whatever you may think of him and I know he's still a sore subject and everybody has turned him into a devil like non human figure which is fine but take away the bad stuff and you got one hell of an economic recovery boom.

gt

Am I the only one to think Hilary has a chance of winning?  I amtoo young to remember the election of 1992 but weren't people
saying the same thing about Bill back then...

weird al

-"take away the bad stuff and you got one hell of an economic recovery boom"-

...and Mussolini made the trains run on time. These boomlets came with a bit of a downside.

Sportsdude

Actually Italy was so screwed up with factions and sects (kinda like iraq) pholosphers were predicting Italy would only come together under a tyrannt. And they were right.

Thats no joke about Hitler. The common german look at him like that now. I know because I had a friend from germany and we would talk politics and f1 racing. They take him with a truck load of giant salt.