crazy games • riddles and jokes • funny pictures • death psychic! • mad trivia • funny & odd! • pregnancy test • shape test • win custody • recipes

Author Topic: Cat Piano  (Read 2002 times)

Dunno

Cat Piano
« on: Feb 28 06 09:47 »
[h3]         Cat piano        [/h3]        [blockquote][img]http://www.boingboing.net/images/_images_cat-piano.jpg" alt=" Images Cat-Piano" align="left" border="1" height="200" hspace="4" vspace="4" width="368"][br clear="all"][/blockquote]Amazing inventor [a href="http://chronicle.com/free/2002/05/2002052804n.htm"]Athanasius Kircher[/a]designed this cat piano in in the 17th century. Kitties with differently-pitched voices were placed in the pens and then "triggered" to meow with a sharp poke in the ass. From Kircher's Musurgia Universalis (1650):

In order to raise the spirits of an Italian prince burdened by the cares of his position, a musician created for him a cat piano. The musician selected cats whose natural voices were at different pitches and arranged them in cages side by side, so that when a key on the piano was depressed, a mechanism drove a sharp spike into the appropriate cat’s tail. The result was a melody of meows that became more vigorous as the cats became more desperate. Who could not help but laugh at such music? Thus was the prince raised from his melancholy.

[a href="http://www.kirchersociety.org/blog/?p=116"]Link[/a]

Lise

• SuperHero Member
  • Love conquers all. Virgil.
    • View Profile
    • Asian Recipe
Re: Cat Piano
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28 06 09:48 »
That's mean to cat lovers.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28 06 09:57 »
Those poor cats.  What an ugly thing to do!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

TehBorken

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
    • Discover Seattle!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28 06 10:07 »
Just when I think I've seen everything, I realize that I haven't.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Schadenfreude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28 06 10:10 »
Lise wrote:
That's mean to cat lovers. [/DIV]
[FONT color=#bf005f]It's meaner to the cats.[/FONT]
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

• We can't stop here. This is bat country.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04 07 11:22 »
This is just...terrible.
Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out. The weasels were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. Flee.

Sportsdude

• SuperHero Member
  • Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04 07 11:26 »
And the PETA movement was born.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

• We can't stop here. This is bat country.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04 07 11:34 »
I have lost just a smidgin of respect for Terry Gilliam.

I thought he invented the idea   =(
Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out. The weasels were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. Flee.

crazy games • riddles and jokes • funny pictures • death psychic! • mad trivia • funny & odd! • pregnancy test • shape test • win custody • recipes