Regrets

Started by P.C., Oct 05 06 07:09

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Is there anyone out there, that has lived their life, with no regrets.

I was talking to someone the other day, who said he had absolutely no regrets.  I was  fascinated with his story.

It wasn't even like he had lived his life without ever having done things to be regretful of, but it was his ability to put it aside, chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

I have many.  I would love to learn how to do this.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

I have to this day.... no regrets, PC. I am enjoying life... yes, it's hard and there are times when it's tough to get by but I've no regrets.

I believe if you think about all the things you haven't done and lots of 'could have done better', you'll end up missing out on what's in front of you. Enjoy life to the fullest, be glad of what you have and appreciate how lucky you are to be alive and well.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I have a ton. Wish I didn't do this, do that. Its lead me to this point which I'm happy with but the road I got here wasn't the prettiest. Thats how I think of it. Yeah I'm glad I'm at this point, still have a ways to travel to get where I want to get to but I don't want to think about the past.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Well said, Lise.  

I think that I KNOW that philosophy, I just don't seem to know how to LIVE it.

I DO enjoy my life, and cliche as it may sound, try to live each day to the fullest.  It's history that's harder to let go of.  

greycat

Read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I mean, when you think of it, the past is over. You might as well pretend it doesnt exist, because it doesnt...in the NOW. Your mind takes you wherever you want to go..so if you dwell in the past, live in the past, you cant be living in the now. As for regrets...what can  you do about it? nothing. its a waste of energy.
It is what it is.

kitten

The things we have experienced make us what we are today.  To dismiss them as ancient history is to dismiss all of these experiences as unimportant.  I doubt they can be forgotten, but it is not a good idea to dwell on them to the point of ignoring the present.  Looking at the past as a series of hard lessons learned well helps to put it in perspective.  How you feel is normal, P.C., and it makes what you have now even more wonderful because of what it took to get there.  Sometimes regret becomes a kind of self-punishment and then it is difficult to bear.   Chin up, my friend, you have succeded in life.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

P.C.

I mean, when you think of it, the past is over. You might as well pretend it doesnt exist, because it doesnt...in the NOW.

I suppose that may be one of the things that makes it difficult, because I don't believe the past doesn't exist.  It has shaped who you are.....who your children are. Who they have become is part of the past.  

purelife

I don't have any huge regrets.  I have really stopped thinking about regrets because I don't see the point.  If you have a regret and can't go back and change it, then don't even bother thinking about it.

There was this one guy who listed all his major regrets.  He went back in life and tackled each regret as much as possible.  I say "good for him."  At least he tried and now, his mind can rest peacefully.  Whatever it takes, whatever it takes.

Sportsdude

Yeah it pretty much is pointless now but I wish I'd have known that when I was younger. Then I would be able to shake things off more easily. I get in the habit of remembering every single conversation, every single bad moment in my life and just continually replay it. Its not good to do that because it leaves you in a constant state of depressed feelings but I've been doing that since I was a little kid and I just don't know how to stop really. Not good.

greycat

Yeah, the past has made you what you are today. But say you had a really rough childhood, that might make one person stronger, or another person may forever see themselves as a victim. How you see yourself is how you present yourself to the world, and that attracts positive and negative into your life. SO, if you had a shitty pre-life, you have to try and put it behind you and build your new life, yes?
It is what it is.

kitten

Every time you find yourself doing that, try to deliberately change your thoughts to what you want for your future, and what you have to do to achieve it.  It may become such a habit that you will do it automatically after a while.  

Sportsdude

When I'm in self pitty mode I become the victim. When I'm in normal thinking mode I'm the stronger person. I don't like being in self pitty mode because I don't need to be consoled. Thats childish behaviour on my part and all it does is make me want to pull the 'my life is so bad, I'm f*cked' routine over and over again. I did that as a little kid. It got me nowhere just made things worse.

kitten

That's true, and it is also a huge waste of time.  Looking back won't help you get anywhere, unless there is a lesson to be learned from the past.

P.C.

I'm not agonizing over the past or bent out of shape over the past for myself so much.  I'm thinking more in terms of choices I made that had a negative affect on others.  Those are the things that I occasionally find difficult to come to terms with.  It doesn't affect me on a daily basis, but every once in a while it creeps in.  There are skills to cope with this I'm sure, but somehow it seems like it just has to run it's course.      

P.C.

Yipes....this thread took an unexpected twist.  This is in no way a pity party......just a bit curious to know how those who have no regrets have 'allowed' themselves to let things go.