Turning Point in Life

Started by greycat, Oct 05 06 01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

greycat

It is what it is.

Sportsdude

Yes you can do it all. Anything is possible. If you can't get pregnant the old fashion way you could always do inevtro that takes a long process though.

40 isn't what it used to be in having kids. We are living much longer now. By the time I croak for example the life expentance will probably be around 90.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

greycat wrote:
Can one have it all?

No, and this is one of the big myths that is often repeated but rarely acheived. You're told you can have it all, but you can't. No one can. It's just not the way it is. You can come close, though, if you're willing to make some choices about what you want versus what you must have. Please don't believe anyone who claims that "you can have it all". Unless you're bloody f*cking rich, you can't. And if that were the case you probably wouldn't be asking the question, eh?

Any creative ideas welcomed!  ???

I conciously made a decision several years ago to "get out of the loop" with respect to the 9-to-5 thing and stop working for someone else. I had to make some hard choices, and I certainly don't have it all. But I do have my freedom, the ability to do what I want when I want, and I can choose what I want to do. I also have no commute. What did I give up? Lots of things, but it turns out that with a few exceptions, they weren't all that important to begin with.

It may sound silly, but look into web design or (ack!) programming. These are all things that can be learned without a huge investment in time or money, and can be done from home or at a conventional job. There are lots of other possibilities too, it just depends on what you like to do. If you're a graphic artist you can leverage those skills fairly well.

I must say, 40 is a risky age to get pregnant. Think carefully before doing this as it can be a terrible mistake. I have friends that did this and now they wish they didn't. I won't go into details, but they have a child that is going to require full-time care for the rest of its life- not exactly what they'd bargained for.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

The frank KING!

anything is possible. But still renting at 40 and wanting to buy a place in BC, that could be tough. All of BC, though not as pricy as the Lower Mainland, has got pretty expensive. best of luck. You realize your will be well into your 60s when your kid is graduating!?!

Lise

Age should not matter although I must point out that the chances of getting pregnant and having a safe pregnancy decreases as you age. Once you hit the 35 years mark, you'll be needing a lot more attention but if your doctor gives the go-ahead and you're relatively healthy, then by all means do so.

Having a child in your life is one of the greatest reward ever. I can't imagine my life without my kids and if I had to do it all over again, I would do so without giving a second thought.

I think greycat, if you really want to have a child and be a sucessful graphic designer, you can do it. My cousin is in the same boat. She's a stay-at-home mother who's into graphic design. She started her own web company and gradually, through word of mouth, and the support of her family, she has enough of a income to bring into the family. She's very ambitious and has plans to upgrade her business in the future.

I believe you can do it!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

The frank KING!

like I said, anything is possible. you should get a house asap though!

Sportsdude

I don't know what is a turning point. If I look at my life I'm at a turning point. I'm 20, spent two years in turmoil putting my life on hold to help out the family survive. Its been tough, especially for someone who still hasn't technically finished high school. (half of a class left should be done by american thanksgiving). Then I've got to write a college essay get in to the school and move to Seattle. Thats a lot for me in a short period of time.

Talk about a turning point. It will be like all of a sudden waking up and saying where am I? I am looking forward to that day, the day I can say I made. Came from behind, made something out of myself when everyone said you're crazy or okay whatever its just SD talking again. Its my time to show them, no more talk, I'll have actions to back up my ideas. I can do it. Plus I'm not even counting the drive I'm going to take to get there. All by myself, lol like a movie. Its weird looking into the future and seeing the unknown. I'd never would have thought I'd be in this situation. But I wouldn't ask for a redo. I've learned to much in the process about who I am and such.

I know for one thing I've out grown my surroundings. I must leave. There's nothing here for me. I've been in the process of cutting ties with this area. That probably wasn't the best decision because once those bridges are burned there burned and its hard to rebuild. But I just can't go on living in dull drums anymore. Must see the world. I don't have a midwest perspective on life anyway. Not much to be proud of here.

So as I walk towards the sunset I have no idea whats in the future, I could be great, sad or depressing or it could lead into a giant failure I don't know. But if its anything its better then saying I didn't try. Because not trying is worse then failing at something. Because if you failed you know you atleast tried and gave it your all. Not trying brings in what ifs and I'm tired of the what ifs.      

Lise

That's deep, brother, really deep.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

No, and this is one of the big myths that is often repeated but rarely acheived. You're told you can have it all, but you can't. No one can. It's just not the way it is. You can come close, though, if you're willing to make some choices about what you want versus what you must have.

I agree TehBorken.  I believe one can have it all, but SOMETHING is going to suffer.  I've never wanted it all, so perhaps I have no business commenting.  I think you can only divide yourself into so many sections before something isn't going to get the proper 'share'.  Having said that, working from your home is at least a step in the right direction when you have children.  (and just to clarify, NO, I don't think that mothers who aren't working at home are bad mothers)

But I believe that you DO end up taking from one area to give to another because some things require more of you.  You run the risk of having nothing left of yourself.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Thanks Lise, you yourself have one of those stories in my eyes. Look how far you've come.

Thats my biggest problem I've had to deal with in my life. I've lived to much in the legend of my grandparents. Grandpa lived in a house in Hungary that had dirt floors. At 13 said he'd had enough of being a peasant to his mom said goodbye never saw her again and walked across to the Austrian border with a friend and brother. Found work for a count who lived on a giant farm became a farm hand ate out of a giant soup kettle with 20 other people. Was a good worker was rewarded with a dog named Ralphie. Was forced into the German army when hitler took over Austria. Drove a truck. Escaped when driving in a convoy evaded SS army guys who were shooting at him. Used his Austrian passport to get out of the country while hiding at his bosses farm. Was taught english. Left Ralphie and Europe behind.

Grandma was born in her never learned english until the 60's. Went back to Hungary before the war with her family they had some land there and was going to stay there. Stalin and his gang of fools took over Hungary. She was sent to a force labour camp in Eastern Poland for 3 years. Watched people die in front of her. Took mold of off bread. Worked in the coal mines got eventually developed black lung disease from it.

My great aunt was caught in East Germany when the wall came up. Her and a bunch of other people escaped under the wall at Check Point Charlie. Was shot at by Russian snipers. One bullet killed the person in front of her. She made it out. But her husband died in the war.

Thats my problem. I've been trying to live up to that ever since I was born. I'm the only one in the family who cares about my grandparents and what they went through.  

Dargon

The frank KING! wrote:
anything is possible.

That is such a load of newage feel-good shit. Anything is not possible, so quit winding her up. Yes, if your rich like Bill Gates anything is possible but shes not so quit telling her it is.

Sportsdude

Just like the American dream is a sham. I can't believe how many people in this country who are poor or middle class think they'll be driving porsches in 5 years. Or blue collar people voting republican because they make them fell good with all this tax cut crap when the party is only looking to give the rich a huge tax cut and could careless about the poor. American dream is dead.

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
Just like the American dream is a sham.

Yep. That's why they call it a 'dream'. It's not real, but no one seems to notice that....they just keep on watching American Idol and voting republican, as if everything is going to work out okay. It's not. The US is in for some very rough times ahead and it's going to get a lot worse. A lot worse. We'll look back on this and refer to it as "the good old days". Mark my words.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

Ever since I've been reading Roman history since 2nd grade I put two and two together and figured out America is in its Pax Romana. That was when the Roman Empire was at its best. Then when I knew a 9/11 was going to happen I soon realized the Pax Romana was over and we are on our way down. Now I know for a fact we are out of our Pax Romana days and into our decline.

kitten

I don't know if they are still around, but there used to be houses for sale that were classed as fixer-uppers.  The framework was sound, but the interior and wiring and plumbing all needed repairing or upgrading.  It you and your husband are handy with tools, it might be a cheaper alternative.  I doubt there would be many in the Lower Mainland, but it is something to consider.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.