Vietnam almost forgotten ?

Started by 'Namburger, Sep 21 06 07:22

Previous topic - Next topic

'Namburger

Most of you little ones here either were still wetting their pants at the time, or were still in the making, or are still wetting them right now - but Vietnam is indelibly engraved into America's collective unconscious.

Started in '67, I think, under Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon as presidents.

't Wasn't exactly a glorious experience for the US, and its veterans, many of whom came back scarred for the rest of their lives physically as well as emotionally (easy to say, I know, I wasn't there myself as I am an European) are to be deeply pitied...

Gopher

As a VERY small child I can vaguely remember hearing reports on Korea (none of which I understood, although some of the names stuck in my consciousness). Korea gave us M*A*S*H, what's Vietnam going to give us - eventually?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

CK

Ever seen Platoon? Oliver Stone creation. Oliver himself was an infantry soldier in Vietnam and created the award winning movie. Probably one of the saddest movies I ever seen.

As for Vetnam, I was born a few years after it ended, so I can't really comment on it. The biggest thing with Canada was, it took in a lot of draft dodgers and there are still many living across Canada, especially in the West Kootenays.

'Namburger

Gopher wrote:
As a VERY small child I can vaguely remember hearing reports on Korea (none of which I understood, although some of the names stuck in my consciousness). Korea gave us M*A*S*H, what's Vietnam going to give us - eventually?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korea was in 1952-1953, if I am not mistaken. Does that imply you were born about 1950 or earlier ?

MASH, I think was about Vietnam, not Korea. Or am I mistaken ? I saw the movie but wasn't very impressed, as it tried to convey an atmosphere of "cool" and flippancy to the issue, which I felt was misplaced.

Deep Fried Cheesesticks

mash took place in the Korean War.

'Namburger

Deep Fried Cheesesticks wrote:
mash took place in the Korean War.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, so it took place in the Korean War, did it ?
You must not be talking about the movie then, because the movie was shot in the seventies.

So WHAT exactly are you talking about ?

'Namburger

Gopher and D.F. Cheesesticks, you are right. I checked at the International Movie Database.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066026/

It's such a long time ago I saw the movie - more than 30 years - I forgot everything about it.

'Namburger

Do you want to know why I thought MASH was about the Vietnam war ? Because the characters in the movie have haircuts that don\'t match with the fifties style. That black American for example, his hair is typically seventies. Vietnam era, in other words.

Deep Fried Cheesesticks

'Namburger wrote:
Do you want to know why I thought MASH was about the Vietnam war ? Because the characters in the movie have haircuts that don't match with the fifties style. That black American for example, his hair is typically seventies. Vietnam era, in other words.
  Kind of like the movie Platoon, they all had 80s haircuts, but was supposed to be in the 60s.

Gopher

Which implies that when they make movies about Iraq, the haircuts will all be 2020s?  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Mutilated Mind

And Elliott Gould in the movie... anyone remembers ? You would never have seen an American soldier with that kind of a haircut in the fifties.