Halloween Semiotics

Started by Pinworm, Sep 20 06 01:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinworm

Halloween as we know it is a watered down version of a pagan holiday. You can tell it's watered down when even the bible thumping troglodites dress their children up in costumes and go trick or treating.

The funny thing about Halloween is it's stated intent to be scary while being completely inept at doing so. It is watered down. There is nothing scary about jack-o-lanterns, casperesque ghosts, skeletons, and martians. Those things are accepted signs of scariness, while being benign enough for children.

If we were to have a holiday in which scary things were actually celebrated, we would pick things that are actually scary..like ETHNIC CLEANSING, MASS GRAVES, CANCER, DISEASE, STARVATION, RAPE, INCEST, GLOBAL WARMING, and GAMMA RAY BURNS..

I would like to see Peanuts do a cartoon about Auschwitz..arbeit macht frei Charlie Braun..instead of the great pumpkin we could have the great oncologist.

Scary my ass. f*ck halloween  

CK

empty pizza boxes are kind of scary..

also, not sure if there are any SCTV fans around? but what I learned on that show..chili! Chili is scary!!

Raver

" ETHNIC CLEANSING, MASS GRAVES, CANCER, DISEASE, STARVATION, RAPE, INCEST, GLOBAL WARMING, and GAMMA RAY BURNS"

I'm interested in dressing up as one of these.  

Where would one find a Rape costume?

What does the global warming costume look like?

Maybe my friends and I will dress as a mass grave, but I think it will be boring for the guys on the bottom.

Lise

Ah hell, I still love Halloween though. It's great for the kids and adults alike even though the meaning of it has been lost through time just like Easter and Christmas.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Raver wrote:
 Maybe my friends and I will dress as a mass grave, but I think it will be boring for the guys on the bottom.

Then again, they might enjoy it.

Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.