VANCOUVER OR SEATTLE?!?! WHICH IS BETTER

Started by JOHNNY BOY, Sep 02 06 10:25

Previous topic - Next topic

CK

ok then,

Things I like about Seattle:

Yummy sticky nightclubs (well, back in the early to mid 90s anyways).

Things I like about Vancouver:

Yummy sticky goodness (well, back in the early to mid 90s anyways).      

P.C.

The biggest thing that bugs me about Canada in general, Canadians can't be just proud, or even content being Canadian without slamming the USA.

Really ????  This is not my experience.  I've seen this sentiment expressed numerous times before, and it surprises me.  I do not feel this way, nor does anyone in my family or circle of friends.  I don't see Americans as being terribly different than Canadians.  I've ALWAYS had a HUGE admiration for their patriotism......we as Canadians don't seem to have that.  

I don't, won't.....and have never slammed Americans.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/a054.gif" border=0]    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

CK

Oh not everyone, but you talk to a lot of people and if asked if they are proud to be Canadians, and they say yes, but glad we are not the USA. Just from years of chatting, plus our media doesn't help.

Their patriotism is shown in different ways. I think Canadians are very proud, but it is humble sort of pride, and very regionalized.

I never slammed the USA either, Canada has enough problems of its own to point the finger elsewhere.

P.C.

I've always felt a little sad, that I seem to lack patriotism.  I don't think I really know what it means.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/traurig/a010.gif" border=0]

CK

P.C. wrote:
I've always felt a little sad, that I seem to lack patriotism.  I don't think I really know what it means.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/traurig/a010.gif" border=0][/DIV]
 I know what you mean. I used to not really care either way. Until I travelled and seen some other countries. After coming home, it really opened my eyes to what we have right here, feeling very proud to call Canada home. We are pretty spoiled here.

Anyways, back to the topic.

Comparing Seattle to Vancouver is interesting. I always thought Seattle was more comparible with a larger centre, like Denver or something? I don't know?

It seems Portland is more comparible with Vancouver. Portland is another town that stole my heart. One afternoon/night on Hawthorne and I was hooked on that city. This neighborhood fought to keep McDonalds out of its area, and the last I heard, they won! I raise my beer to that!

P.C.

It's not that I don't care.  I love where I live and feel extremely blessed.   I may have patriotic notions, but I've never had the urge to wave a flag.  I'd like to think that being respectful of how I treat the environment is some form of patriotism, but I wonder if that just wishful thinking.  I can't believe I've been on this planet for this long, and STILL don't really know what it means.[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c020.gif" border=0]

P.C.

....I don't feel too badly for hijacking this topic.  I'm not a big fan of the 'who is better' topics.[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c007.gif" border=0]

CK

I like comparing cities though. Comparing politely. Not "my city is better", which on dv, you can't compare without that happening.

It is pretty hard to compare two cities though, without living in both of them. That is the only way to really know a city.    

P.C.

Very true CK.....very true.

Well, I'm in my grubbies.....off to colour my world.[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/haushalt/k018.gif" border=0]

Sportsdude

patriotism? what's that?

Is that putting flag bumper stickers on your car, putting little flags out side your window of the car, wearing clothes that are flags? Because if thats considered patriotism well we sure did commericalise it.

Quickest easiest form of patriotism. Do you believe in Canada? Yes or no. If you do that's patriotism. Canadians in general I believe believe in Canada. Therefore they are patriotic but instead of boasting about it telling everyone within a 20km distance that they are patriotic they keep it to themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

And if you are a regionalist, you'd put your province ahead of the state.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

CK

cool way to put it. I was in California during 9/11 and it seriously blew my mind the way the world was painted in stars and stripes. I am still blown away by this. The closest I ever seen anything like this in Canada was when Canada won gold at men's hockey in '02. So many flags, everywhere I went.

I have a beautiful Canadian flag in my basement in my gym.

Do I believe in Canada? yes. Enough to send my son the the Canadian armed forces? Not for some phony baloney oil war. Maybe to defend Canada or to help keep the peace.

damn! now I got myself thinking...

Sportsdude

Exactly CK. You are patriotic in your own way. You don't have to think about your patriotism. You don't have to go around telling people that you are Canadian. Its a different type of patriotism.

There's american patriotism which is show boating and then there is national patriotism which is what Canada has.

The problem is Canadians see American Patriotism and automatically think they aren't patriotic. Oh contrer, Canadians are just as patriotic about Canada they just don't express it in the american type way.

Gopher

It's always worth considering the difference between patriotism and nationalism.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Now, nationalism, I don't think Canada has a strong nationalism. A Confederation creates weak nationalism and more emphasis on the provinces in this case. Only time I see Canadian Nationalism come out is when there is a threat of Quebec seperation.

kitten

I imagine you will see more nationalism when the Olympics get under way.  That's when the flags will be out in force.  Athletics seems to bring out a common bond when it is performed internationally.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

|