VANCOUVER OR SEATTLE?!?! WHICH IS BETTER

Started by JOHNNY BOY, Sep 02 06 10:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy

Sportsdude wrote:
Well to Seattle's defence the Pugeot Sound would be so polluted if Victoria stopped dumping there human waste and trash into the straits.[/DIV]
 Yeah, that is embarrasing for Canada. SHAME ON VICTORIA!  

Vancouver is ok, just mellower.

Seattle has way cooler things like Pike Place and stuff like that. Seahawks are what Vancouver folks wish they had too..Mariners also.

Lazy

Best part about BC - it ain't the States so cheers! [/DIV]
 What is wrong with the States? The USA is a sweet place.

soapbox

i prefer vancouver for the following reasons:

seawall

stanley park (urban park)

city is more walking friendly

mountains and skiing close by

bc bud is widely availble

i prefer seattle because:

better beer choices

some great dining

better music selection

both are great cities although i feel safer in pioneer square more than i do on hasting east (downtown).

seattle waterfront is not so happening and monorail sucks.

vancouver has to many agressive panhandlers and rip off esl schools

seattle has red hook ale

vancouver has granville island limited release pilsner

seattle has seatac with more flight connections

YVR sucks and is too small.

etc etc.    

Lise

Lazy wrote:
Best part about BC - it ain't the States so cheers! [/DIV]
 What is wrong with the States? The USA is a sweet place.

Oh, there isn't anything wrong with the States. I'm not exactly against the US but I'm happy that Canada is NOT PART of America. With all the terrorist activities, I feel bless to live in a country where it isn't target..... [FONT size=1]yet.[/FONT]

[FONT size=1][/FONT]

And the fact that we don't have George Bush Jr. as a president is wonderful.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

CK

I guess you would have to live in each city to really know what it is like. I never lived in Seattle, but I have lived in California. The neighbors I had there are still cool friends to this day. I found it super easy to make friends there.

I have had many good times in Seattle. Times when the weekend came to an end and I didn't want to go home.

The biggest thing that bugs me about Canada in general, Canadians can't be just proud, or even content being Canadian without slamming the USA. It seems our whole identity revolves around our feelings towards the USA. You rarely see Canadians showing their patriotism without some sort of dissent towards America. You are allowed to be a proud Canadian, and still love the USA.

Cheers to my American neighbors!      

Mike Holmgren

Vancouver is a wannabe Seattle.  

Sportsdude

CK wrote:
 The biggest thing that bugs me about Canada in general, Canadians can't be just proud, or even content being Canadian without slamming the USA. It seems our whole identity revolves around our feelings towards the USA. You rarely see Canadians showing their patriotism without some sort of dissent towards America. You are allowed to be a proud Canadian, and still love the USA.

Thats because english Canada has been pretty much taken over by american culture. For example you turn on CTV or Global on prime time and what do you see? American shows. Then you've got people in the country that want to destroy the only thing english Canada has left of Canadian culture: CBC.

Thats where the anti americanism starts and it goes on from there. People see Canada morphing into this american controlled country and they don't like it they loose there identity. So the only thing that can bind english canadians together is anti americanism.

Quebec has the french language but what does english Canada have?

Then it goes into politics. You've got an american apologist party in the Conservatives.

Then you look at sports, who runs the NHL? An anti canadian new yorker who has moved 2 teams out of Canada and will not put more teams in Canada.

Then its the dumb americans who come up and make stupid jokes about Canada like asking where the snow is during the middle of the summer.

Then there's the anti canadian politicians in Congress like IRA supporter who in my opinion is a terrorist supporter Peter King from New York.

Another problem in Canada is regionalism. You're not Canadian but Albertan, Torontonian, Quebecios, Newfoundlander, BCer. Canada has strong regionalism instead of strong nationalism. Thats what happens in a confederation.    

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

CK

Well put sports.

I think for the most part Canadians are proud to call Canada home. It is a lot more humble though. You see the odd house with a Canadian flag out front, but just a few, you know what I mean? Its there, just not pulsing the way it is in other countries.

Most Canadians don't realize what we have at home until we travel a bit around the world. Speaking for myself, I am very happy here and don't take it for granted. My heart is in the shape of a maple leaf (the doctors are looking into it)...

But I can say, I am a proud Canadian, but still LOVE Americans! This is a controversial thing to say up here.    

CK

just curious sports, who is your fav NHL team?

Sportsdude

I heard that you only see 'canadian patriotism' in Ontario.

But yeah I equate it to Texas. If you were born and reared there you say your Texan first. Thats what Canada is expect (enter Province here). I know Trudeau is hated in the Western part of the country but he did try to stir up 'canadian nationalism'. If you go to Germany for example you'll see no german flags waving because people are afraid to do it because of Germany's past. Thats what I think is Canada's problem except they don't have a dark past like Germany unless you are an anglo living in Quebec just trying to stir up trouble in a seperatist nieghbourhood. Maybe its the Quebec issue maybe its not but thats my 2 cents.  

Sportsdude

I used to be a Blues fan. But now split my support 50/50 between the Canadiens and Canucks. I'd know more about the canucks but I don't live on the west coast yet.

CK

Cool! I really just love watching good games between good teams, but of course, cheering on the Canadian teams.

Canada needs you sports! Move here soon.

Sportsdude

2011. 2011. 2011.

By that time I'll be out of college and at law school at UBC

CK

sounds like you have it all figured out!

Well, one cool thing about Vancouver, the access to the coastal mountains. They are phenomenal!

You will have a blast.

Sportsdude

Things I like about Vancouver

Skytrain

Mountains

sea

the buildings

the people

political views

you can be yourself

the nieghbourhoods

BC in general