Semen 'may fuel Cervical Cancer'

Started by Sportsdude, Aug 31 06 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

LOL!!!!!

[DIV class=headline]Semen 'may fuel cervical cancer' [/DIV]The growth of cervical and womb cancers may be fuelled by a hormone-like molecule in semen, a study suggests. The Medical Research Council team found that the exceptionally high levels of prostaglandin fuelled tumour growth.   The researchers urged women with either cancer to ask their partners to wear condoms during sex.   But a cancer expert said the chances of unprotected sex affecting a patient's outcome was "slight", and women would be getting appropriate treatment.   [DIV class=bo]

[DIV class=ibox]
[TBODY]
[TD width=5][/TD] [TD class=fact][!--Smva--]The likelihood of any unprotected sex affecting the successful outcome of their treatment is considered slight
[!--Emva--][!--Smva--]Professor John Toy, Cancer Research UK [!--Emva--][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

[DIV class=bo] Cervical cancer is usually triggered by the human papilloma virus.   There are around 2,800 cases each year in the UK. In 2004, the latest year for which there are figures, there were just over 1,000 deaths from the disease.   It is the second most common cancer in women under 35.   But scientists believe other factors are involved in causing the virus to develop into cancer.   Potential treatment Prostaglandin occurs naturally in the cells which line the female reproductive organs. Its role is to regulate cell growth and direct the womb lining to either thicken or shed during the monthly menstrual cycle.   But the concentration of prostaglandin in semen is 1,000 times higher.   Cervical and womb (uterine) tumour cells have prostaglandin receptor molecules on their surface.   The MRC team exposed cancerous tissue to prostaglandin.   They found that the influx of prostaglandin in semen boosted the normal level of signalling between cells.   This high volume starts new cascades of signals that eventually lead to an increase in tumour growth.   The researchers say the finding may help develop a treatment which could stop prostaglandin reaching the tumour cell receptors, and therefore slow the progress of a cancer.   Smear tests Dr Henry Jabbour, who led the research, added there was action women could take now.   "Sexually active women who are at risk of cervical or uterine cancer should encourage their partners to wear a condom to prevent increased exposure to the prostaglandins that might make their condition worse.   ''This also highlights the potential for a new therapeutic approach that will tackle both possible sources of prostaglandin - those produced naturally by women and those introduced to the body by sperm.''   And he said women with pre-cancerous cells may also be affected as it was possible those cells also had prostaglandin receptors, though more work was needed to look into that.   Professor John Toy, medical director at Cancer Research UK, said: "This an interesting piece of laboratory research but it has little relevance to women already diagnosed with cervical cancer in the UK because they will already be receiving appropriate anti-cancer treatment.   "The likelihood of any unprotected sex affecting the successful outcome of their treatment is considered slight.   "The most important thing that women can do at this time to prevent cervical cancer from developing is to go for regular cervical smear tests."   [A href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5303054.stm?ls"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5303054.stm?ls[/A]

[img height=152 alt=Sperm hspace=0 src="http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42035000/jpg/_42035950_sperm203.jpg" width=203 border=0]   [DIV class=cap]The molecule is contained in seminal fluid

[DIV class=cap] [/DIV][/DIV]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

This is Bush's next war: THE WAR ON SEMEN! lol. sorry this is just too funny. Cervical Cancer is very serious problem but SEMEN?! LOL thats just to funny.

Lise

SD, if you ever say 'semen' to my face again, I'm smacking you from ear to ear.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Schadenfreude

Lise wrote:
 SD, if you ever say 'semen' to my face again, I'm smacking you from ear to ear.

Did you know the bird of love is the swallow.

"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Sportsdude

Lise wrote:
 SD, if you ever say 'semen' to my face again, I'm smacking you from ear to ear. [/DIV]
 What not liking 'semen' at the moment?

notfunny

I don't find it funny that anyone would consider it ridiculous and say something like "LOL!!!!!" when they post to a forum valid news that suggest semen could be considered a contributing factor for a type of cancer.   I thought I was reading something serious and informative, but it turned out to be just fodder for some people to make jokes like suggest a political platform be "war on semen."

Do a MedLine search for semen and cervical cancer and you will find numerous medical research studying possible effects of the hormones in semen on the tumours that cause cervical cancer (among other things) going back as far as 1991.   So really, semen is serious business and if there is even just a remote posibility of it being contributing to cervical cancer I think we should all take it seriously.  Frankly, it is disgusting to me to read people joking about it.    

Oh yeah, least anyone tell me to "lighten up" they should have met my friend Kathryn who died September 17, 2004 of cervical cancer.  The doctors don't know for sure how or why.  She was healthy.  She did not have HPV.  She was only 34.

Humor Nazi

I don't find it funny that anyone would consider it ridiculous and say something like "LOL!!!!!" when they post to a forum valid news that suggest semen could be considered a contributing factor for a type of cancer.  

LOL!! Shutup, you whiny little shit. Go scold people somewhere else, because no one here gives a crap what you do or don't find funny.

[/div][div]
Oh yeah, least anyone tell me to "lighten up" they should have met my friend Kathryn who died September 17, 2004 of cervical cancer.

Okay. "Lighten up". People die all the time from all sorts of things. Does that mean we can't joke about any of those things either, Ms Humor Nazi?

The doctors don't know for sure how or why.  

I know why- she had cervical cancer.

She was healthy.  She did not have HPV.  She was only 34.
 She wan't healthy, she had [span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]cervical cancer[/span]. And it doesn't matter how old she was, she could have died in a car accident just as easily. Then we wouldn't be able to joke about that because it would offend you. Tough shit, she died, get over it.

ShutUp

So really, semen is serious business and if there is even just a remote posibility of it being contributing to cervical cancer I think we should all take it seriously.

And do what, exactly? Stop having sex? Make semen illegal? Force all men to get vasectomies? What should we do to "take this seriously"?

Frankly, it is disgusting to me to read people joking about it.  

Frankly it's disgusting to me to read people telling me  how to run my life and what I'm not allowed to joke about.

Oh yeah, least anyone tell me to "lighten up" they should have met my friend Kathryn who died September 17, 2004 of cervical cancer.  The doctors don't know for sure how or why.  She was healthy.  She did not have HPV.  She was only 34.

As someone else said. lighten up. Who cares what she did or didn't have. She died. That's too bad, but f*ck you for telling me how to act or what to think. Who died and made you God?

notfunny

Moderators, would you please remove both my posts from this thread.  Obviously my comments are not welcomed here.  Thank you.

Sportsdude

I said LOL because is this going to stop people from having sex? No. If everyone took the advice of this study the human race would die because nobody would be reproducing.  That's what I meant by LOL.

Tricky Cad

notfunny wrote:
 Moderators, would you please remove both my posts from this thread.  Obviously my comments are not welcomed here.  Thank you.

notfunny, I don't agree that your comments are not welcome here. The jerk-off who replied to you so peevishly under two different names is clearly hovering around the mental age of 10 (if he's lucky, and a slow-witted 10 at that), and does not constitute a representative sampling of the population here.

If you register, you can delete or modify your posts as you wish. Failing that, if you still want your posts deleted, just start a topic addressed to Admin, identifying the thread  that

you wish to be removed from, thus:

[A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,2457.0.html"]http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,2457.0.html[/A]

OHMYGOD

I'm guessing that academe wrote as "Not Funny" and Teh Borken as the Humor Nazi.

Oh my classic!  Oh the f*cking horror!!!!!!!!!    

TehBorken

OHMYGOD wrote:
I'm guessing that academe wrote as "Not Funny" and Teh Borken as the Humor Nazi.

That wasn't me, but they duplicated my feelings and style to a "T".

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

TehBorken

notfunny wrote:
Obviously my comments are not welcomed here.  Thank you.

Your comments are welcome, but people are free to disagree if they want to. No one is claiming cervical cancer is funny, they're just letting you know that they don't appreciate being told what they can and can't make jokes about. You are not the final arbiter of what's funny.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

weird al

notfunny wrote:

-I don't find it funny that anyone would consider it ridiculous and say something like "LOL!!!!!" when they post to a forum...

-Frankly, it is disgusting to me to read people joking about it.  

At no point did (s)he  tell anyone "how to run my life and what I'm not allowed to joke about."

So when someone tells notfunny  "That's too bad, but f*ck you for telling me how to act or what to think." ...they are responding to something that was not in his/her post.Where did notfunny tell anyone how to act or what to think? As for the  poster claiming to be the final arbiter of what is or isn't funny, all (s)he said was "I don't find it funny..."

I'm  disappointed (though not shocked) by the vitriolic and ham-handed responses to what was essentially an innocuous post. But hey, that's just me. I'm not asking anybody to change a thing. In some circles, "f*ck you for telling me how to act"  is probably considered top-of-the line conversational skill, even when it's misplaced.[/DIV]