Should I sell my beloved scooter?

Yes, youre more likely to die in a motorcycle accident
3 (60%)
No, don't live your life in fear of statistics
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Future Canadian

My baby...

I'm in a bit of a quandry and thought I'd solicit opinions from you all.
I had some stoopid idiot nearly killed me yesterday changing into my lane and didn't see me (do your head checks folks!). And that's the second time this month that's happened. Now I'm starting to get worried, since one is practically invisible on a motorcycle I figure it's just a matter of time until someone finally makes contact with me. Plus I've never been in any kind of traffic accident in more than 20 years of driving, so that either means I'm lucky, a safe rider/driver, or I'm due for one.
So I'm tripping out here. I loooove my scooter but I also have a family to look after, and I like breathing. It's also not helped by a recent newspaper article detailing the death of a motorcycle safety instructor from an accident that would've been merely a fender-bender in a car. The article went on to dish out those statististcs that you're more likely to die in a motorcycle accident, etc.
But man, I really love my scooter. What do y'all think?

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

weird al

A guy ran into my car a couple of years ago. He was driving a Bronc0,  and changed into my lane, caused about $1400 (canucko) damage. I don't like my chances if I was on a bike. He didn't see my car. How old are you Future Canuck? I hear bones knit more slowly. I've got lots of friends who've had their frames significantly modified from being in accidents.

There're a lot more inexperienced, intoxicated, aggressive and just plain brain-dead drivers out there nowadays, so that riding has become an act of faith in the unknown, more than ever.

TehBorken

I used to ride motorcycles both on the street and dirt bikes. I'll never ride a motorcycle on the street again, though. My body (and life) are too valuable to be thrown away just because some idiot didn't see me when he or she decided to change lanes.

The result of some idiot doing an "oopsie":

Them: They get some scratches on their car door.

You: You're killed or (if you're lucky) you spend the next 5 years learning to walk and use a spoon again.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Future Canadian

weird al wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"] There're a lot more inexperienced, intoxicated, aggressive and just plain brain-dead drivers out there nowadays, so that riding has become an act of faith in the unknown, more than ever.[/div]
That is very true. I have enough confidence in my driving , but not in everyone else's.
So for now, I think I'll hang it up for a month or two and see how I feel aboot it then

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Sportsdude

how far do you drive that thing. Just wondering cuz I now thats not made for the highway. If you feel like people can't see you, you could always get a much bigger one.

Sportsdude

oh and if you feel like you want to replace it with a car. I'd suggest one of these:

[A href="jvascript:largeImage();"][img height=226 alt="" src="http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/2007/yaris/gallery/exterior/photo_8.jpg" width=454 border=0 name=photo][/A]

But these things are selling like hot cakes, I've got a friend who works at the local toyota dealership and he says there on back order. BACK ORDER FOR A 10,000 dollar car! Unbelievable.

It gets 40mpg on the highway 38 to 36 in the city no wonder its on back order. I'd love to exchange my 2 door focus for this cute thing. Focus doesn't get the greatest gas mileage about 29 in the city 32 to 35 on the highway it sucks gas like no tomorrow.

weird al

So for now, I think I'll hang it up for a month or two and see how I feel aboot it then.

I see you've  been working on your canuckish accent!

Lise

Absolutely. Sorry to all the bikers out there but having a bike isn't exactly the safest vehicle on the road. Sell it and get a car.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.