Goaaaaaallll!

Started by meloncollie, Aug 15 06 03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

meloncollie

About two weeks ago, I was cornered by a manager at a sales meeting, and was told that I couldn't leave the training facility until I had a goal down on paper. Caught on the spot, I just scribbled down that I wanted to take my kids to Vancouver, BC during winter break. The idea was the 1st one to pop into my head because I knew that December was going to be a tough time with a marriage-related date coming up, and I wanted something really fun to take my mind off of that impending date.

It just occured to me that I hadn't given that goal another thought, though, since I wrote it down that night.

I don't think we're going to make it to Canada anytime soon, but I really should come up with  some goal or another.  I'm good at making long range goals and had some really spectacular results with some really big goals. But I find that little goals are much harder for me to maintain. I guess it's that I hate feeling like I'm in the goal process all alone. I like accomplishing goals with a partner-- you know, like having a workout buddy you trade motivations with.  Maybe if I put my goals out there, I'll discover someone with similar goals and we can hold each other up....hmmm.

Are you a goal-setter? What kinds of goals do you set for yourself? What processes work best for you in attaining your goals? Do you have some really far-out, incredible goal that you're almost too embarassed to share because you think it's too crazy?

You give love a bad name.

Sportsdude

oh so you don't live in Canada?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Finish 2 courses (almost complete)

Complete my Spanish Community College Class (start monday)

Travel abroad with Habitat for Humanity (go to meeting saturday)

Get to Seattle (next year)

Stay in Seattle (means not dropping out)

Go overseas to Norway (study abroad would happen sophmore year or junior year)

Graduate

Get to Vancouver

Go to law school in Vancouver

Complete law school in Vancouver

Become a Canadian citzen

Get married

Finish Masters

Have kids

Need to do all that by 40 that means by 2026.  

meloncollie

Sportsdude wrote:
oh so you don't live in Canada?

Ah, no. I'm not in Canada. I live on the Central Coast of California, not too far from wonderous Pebble Beach.

I was interested in going to school in Victoria, for awhile, but didn't really understand the difference between Canadian diplomas and American Master's Degrees. And, my husband and I both entertained the idea of moving to Vancouver, but without him, I don't think I'd be able to move to Canada-- being sick and all. Unless I could find a doctor I could bribe, hehehe.

Now that I'm beginning to get a bit more unfettered, Seattle is looking good. I was there last year to check out the transplant unit at Swedish Hospital, and liked what I saw of the city. Reminded me a lot of San Francisco. I may look at Seattle more seriously in the future...depends on jobs and how easy it is to settle there as a single person.

meloncollie

Sportsdude wrote:
Finish 2 courses (almost complete)
Complete my Spanish Community College Class (start monday)
Travel abroad with Habitat for Humanity (go to meeting saturday)

... and whole lot more...

Yegads! That's a monumental list. I especially like the part about Habitat for Humanity, though it hadn't occurred to me that they do their work abroad. I would love to go abroad and do some type of humanitarian work. But with a suppressed immune system due to a kidney transplant, don't know if I could manage to go to the places where I'd like to help out the most. I have done hours and hours, for years and years, stateside...and would like to experience it in broader terms.

Looks like there's lots of schooling in your future. I will pray to the Edu-gods that you are able to finish that all up and not be totally crazed. And don't let anyone call you a "career-student" either! Stick to your guns...

Ok...that sounded like motherly, if not, grandmotherly advice, hehehe.

How do you keep up with all those goals? I know that some of them are dependant on others, and some of them are a ways off. Are you trying to keep several balls in the air at once? Or are you doing them as serially as possible?

Sportsdude

I will pray to the Edu-gods that you are able to finish that all up and not be totally crazed.

A little too late I'm going into poli-sci. I was born to be involved in politics. Its the only thing I know.

Ok...that sounded like motherly, if not, grandmotherly advice, hehehe.

How do you keep up with all those goals? I know that some of them are dependant on others, and some of them are a ways off. Are you trying to keep several balls in the air at once? Or are you doing them as serially as possible?

My goals change constantly. I've said before that I hate making these goals because the instant I say something like this I'll meet someone get married and have kids. Ooops. But since I know thats not in my future, I'll go after my 'getting the globe' off my back goals. aka the Canada stuff. Plus I've talked so much about Canada I have to go through with this or to my relatives I will be as usual to them all talk and no action.

(I want to go to Canada anyway so moving isn't a big issue)

purelife

[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]I've said before that I hate making these goals because the instant I say something like this I'll meet someone get married and have kids.[/span]
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]LOL, SD.  

I remember a friend of a friend once said that she would NEVER marry a fat guy and was totally atimate (sp?) about not marrying one, and guess what, lo and behold, she married a bigger guy than usual.  She says that he treats her like a goddess and no other guy (who was built and slim) ever treated her like he does.  LOL....she's married.

Never say never is what I learned.  I say many things like "I will NEVER do so and so, NEVER date such and such...."  I have stopped saying that because I learned to be more open-minded.  :)

Sportsdude

Well there is a No No I will not do ever. And thats date some racist redneck wannabe or someone who smokes since I hate the smell and it makes me sick.

purelife

For sure.  Agree on the smoke part.  

Sorry meloncollie, I don't have much to contribute.  My goals are too personal to post here.

Sportsdude

oh I know a big one for me, trusting myself and having confidence in myself. Because without those two I'm going no where. I don't know if you could put that under a goal but whatever.

|ProjectoR|

FOr the love of fukk i thought this thread was about GOA
lets go with teh milk?

P.C.

I set goals all the time....however, mostly they are projects as opposed to life plans.

Like, I'm going to finish that stone pathway by the end of September.....I'm going to get that gate put in by the end of August, etc.

Sportsdude, on paper that's a pretty ambitious list.  I think there's a difference between goals and dreams and if you sort through that, you might be able to stop beating yourself up for not achieving your goals.  To have better success at reaching your goals, and separating them from your dreams, you should state your goal, and then list the steps involved to make it happen.  Then follow the steps.

It just gives a clearer picture on exactly what is required, to reach the goal
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

well getting to Seattle is possible. So that takes the first two. If I believe in myself more I can finish college without any problems. (something I have yet to achieve in any other form of schooling). Then its really up in the air on what to do. I'm not coming back to Missouri ever. So thats out of the question.  I'm a pretty smart kid politics wise and I bet someone up there in Seattle would offer me a job as an assistant.  But I want and have this need to go to law school for some reason and since Seattle would be my 'home' I'd have to go away for school. (Never could focus at 'home' where ever it may be).

I'm not the most gifted student if you go by test scores. Never took test really well unless it was about history/geography or government or law. And none of those are represented on the ACT or SAT.

I interview well, thats my saving grace.

I'm also big into U.S. Canadian relations. So thats where Vancouver comes in. My goals start going into dreams whenever I mention law school or Canada.

I don't know it sucks though, I wish my parents went on vacation to Canada before I was born because I've felt for years here that I don't belong here.

Who knows there's a lot of Canadians at the school I want to go to.

P.C.

Well, Sportsdude.....don't give up on your dreams either.  It's GOOD to have goals....but it's nice to have dreams.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Oh yes, always have a dream. Ideally have two, one to fall back on when the first one's been achieved.
A fool's paradise is better than none.