South Dakota bans Abortion

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 23 06 05:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

S.D. Closer to Strict Abortion Limits [!-- END HEADLINE --][DIV id=ynmain][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --][DIV id=storybody][DIV class=storyhdr][SPAN]By CHET BROKAW, Associated Press Writer[/SPAN][EM class=timedate]Thu Feb 23, 8:38 AM ET[/i]

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV][/DIV]South Dakota moved closer to imposing some of the strictest limits on abortion in the nation as the state Senate approved legislation that would ban the procedure except when the woman's life is in danger.

The bill, designed to spark a courtroom showdown over the legality of abortion, passed 23-12 Wednesday. On Thursday, it was headed back to the House, where lawmakers already approved similar legislation.

Republican Gov. Mike Rounds, a longtime abortion opponent, has said he would "look favorably" on an abortion ban if it would "save life."

Under the measure, doctors in South Dakota would face up to five years in prison for performing an abortion. The only exception would be for women who need abortions to save their lives.

"In my opinion, it is the time for the South Dakota Legislature to deal with this issue and protect the lives and rights of unborn children," said Sen. Julie Bartling, a Democrat and the bill's main sponsor.

The legislation targets Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion.

Opponents say it is too extreme and unconstitutional. Planned Parenthood, which operates the only clinic that provides abortions in South Dakota, pledged to challenge the measure if it become law.

"South Dakota's ban is the most sweeping abortion ban passed by any state in more than a decade," Planned Parenthood Federation of America lawyer Eve Gartner said in a written statement. She said the organization would do everything it could to ensure that women and their doctors, not politicians, made their health care decisions.

Supporters say an anonymous donor has pledged to provide South Dakota with $1 million to help defend the law in court.

The recent appointment of Justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito make the U.S. Supreme Court more likely to consider overturning Roe v. Wade now, Bartling and other supporters said.

"It is a calculated risk to be sure, but I believe it is a fight worth fighting," said Sen. Brock Greenfield, a Republican who also is director of South Dakota Right to Life.

Some senators, including Republicans, were concerned that the legislation did not include exceptions for abortions in cases of rape or incest.

Republican Sen. Stan Adelstein said it would be "a continued savagery unworthy of South Dakota" to make a woman bear a child if she becomes pregnant as the result of rape.

The Legislature passed a similar bill two years ago, but Rounds issued a technical veto because it would have wiped existing restrictions off the books while the bill was involved in a court challenge.

Including Thursday, the Legislature has five days left before the official end of its session.

[/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Witch

Well this oughta help kill off a few non-Christians

Sportsdude

Sad thing is if a women gets raped by her brother or raped by her neighbor, its too bad so sad.

kitten

Does the State then plan to support all these children that they are "saving"?  I rather doubt it.  How very stupid, and how typical of the far religious right.  The well-off will simply go elsewhere, and the poor will have more children to try to feed and clothe.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

What Republicans support childern. In a blue moon they do. This is just a feel good measure. In reality they cut every program like they did in my state ( took 15,000 mentally ill patients off medicare) or cut funding for schools and raise tution prices in public universities to unbelievable prices (15,000 dollars a year for an in state resident!).  But oh yeah they'll support stem cell bans and abortion bans.
"Pro-lifers" my ass.

The problem is people end up bitching about these things but when they go into the voting booth they vote the way their pastor told them to and not whats best for the country or state.

P.C.

I listened to a radio program about this today, and of course someone had to call in to say that she was the 'voice of those who had no voice'...complete with all her righteous indignation.  And I thought to myself.....did you ever hear those voices saying..."If nobody wants me when I arrive, is THAT OK??.  If you're setting me up to not be wanted or properly cared for....is THAT OK.??  Will I live a life feeling unwanted or bounced around from one foster home to the next, is THAT OK ??  If I will suffer birth defects from being the product of an incestuous conception...IS THAT OK ????
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

weird al

On the theme of unwanted and unsupported children,  Stephen Levitt in Freakonomics:

Then there is Levitt's economic analysis of abortion and crime rates, which has rattled America. He claims that Bill Clinton's apocalyptic warning of a crime wave in the 90s did not come to fruition because of Roe vs Wade, the landmark Supreme Court ruling of 1973 that legalised abortion in the USA. He argues that the women most likely to have taken advantage of Roe vs Wade were poor and unmarried, whose kids - if they had been born - would apparently have "led unhappy and possibly criminal lives". Do you see where the argument is heading? In a nutshell, Freakonomics claims that legalised abortion killed off many future criminals, using data to show that 20 years after Roe vs Wade there was a dip in the crime rates. It's a distasteful claim and it has stuck in the throats of many in the USA. But Levitt stands by it. [!-- S IIMA --]

Sportsdude

The main problem is that 80 % of this country doesn't want roe over turned.  I've always grown up 'pro-life' but at a personal level. That is if a girl goes preggo and I did the humping, I will say keep the baby. BUT, politically I'm 'pro-choice' or as my sometimes crazy friend will go "pro-death", because I believe in women's rights because its not a preacher who decides in my opinion its the woman. Any unwanted pregnancy is a horrible thing and I think keeping all options open is the only way because any outcome in an unwanted pregnancy is a tragedy. If the woman gets an abortion, she will have to live with that the rest of her life, if she gives it up for adoption she'll get depressed everytime she see's a young baby with a family and if she keeps it she'll will have thrown her dreams away. I should know my "Perfect" cousins who had everything and were good at everything got pregnant one at 16 the other at 19, 8 months apart from each other. They were going places, varsity v-ball, varsity b-ball, homecoming queen, prom-queen. They kept the baby.  

The oldest cousin's babies father is a dead beat who has another child and wants nothing to do with the girl.[/DIV]The younger cousin's babies father is a dead beat who stole stuff, dropped out of high school, tried to commit suicide and now works at a car wash.

And the toddlers, you ask? Will grow up thinking there grandpa is their father.

And they didn't grow up in a 'dead beat' family. My Uncle is a Lutheran Pastor, My Aunt is crazy thou they got a divorce about 5 years ago but she's a lutheran school teacher.

Timed out P.C.

Awww....sorry sportsdude.  This is what makes the 'black and white' of this issue, so....yellow.

Who thinks they have the right answers that will encompass every situation.  I have MY opinion, because I have my own beliefs in the horrors for the mother and the 'unwanted' child.  Somebody else has another story......who thinks they are so smart and so righteous to decide for ALL, what the right answer IS.  

P.C.

Just to clarify....that WAS me.  That's the first time I've put in the 60 minute login time, that expired.  So I'd typed all that, and when I posted, it wasn't going to fly.  heeheeeee, it WAS me
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

The answer is.......[/DIV]There is NO answer, thats the problem with the 'pro-life' movement. They don't see both sides of an arguement. If you can't see both sides of the arguement or "walk in another persons shoes" you don't belong in the arguement. Result: Polarization and people moving farther apart from each other politically that seeps into everyday life. Thats why I can't stand the midwest in general.  

primefactor

They don't see both sides of an arguement. If you can't see both sides of the arguement or "walk in another persons shoes"

Okay, I know this is going to sound off the subject, but recently a friend and I were talking about whether or not conservative-types -- Republicans and fundamentalists and stuff -- can make good art. It seems that in order to make good art, you must have the ability to see things from multiple perspectives, to imagine things in strange or unconventional contexts. And that seems to be the skill that Republicans and fundies lack. Any thoughts on this? Are there any big-time conservatives that are/were also brilliant artists, and I'm not thinking of them?

Sportsdude

Anybody can make good art. Leni Riefenstahl was a nazi propaganda movies.  She revoultionised the camera and used differnt camera angles and views nobody had ever used before. But she made nazi propaganda.  But in today's climate anything conservative would come out of the u.s. since its the only conservative thinking western nation.  America goes backwards in art usually while Europe and the rest of the world move forward.

tim

Sportsdude wrote:
Anybody can make good art. Leni Riefenstahl was a nazi propaganda movies.  She revoultionised the camera and used differnt camera angles and views nobody had ever used before. But she made nazi propaganda.  But in today's climate anything conservative would come out of the u.s. since its the only conservative thinking western nation.  America goes backwards in art usually while Europe and the rest of the world move forward.

america is going backwards in everything these days, the country is run by crooks who wipe their ass with the constitution. the next 10 years in this country will be even uglier.

Future Canadian

Conservatives can't make good art. They may be adept at the craft but they won't ever offer a thought provoking perspective (art). They only see issues in black or white even though real life is full of every shade in between. They will never see things from the side of a rape or incest victim, much less from their own daughter's. [/DIV]Their ham-fisted approach will indeed send this country and culture to a very scary place.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others