I need a job!

Started by greycat, Aug 02 06 02:37

Previous topic - Next topic

greycat

I moved to vancouver in February and have had a couple jobs that just didnt work out; the co. ran out of work for a full time person, i got in a car accident, etc. etc. I REALLY need some work, I have admin. skills (in the arts as well, as in, arts admin. training), graphic design, photography...anyone know of any openings, anywhere? I have been getting interviews but nothing has panned out so far, the bills are piling up! Ack.
It is what it is.

purelife

There are some employment agencies that you could try.

Could you do office work?  If yes, I'll recommend Office Team.  I have used them in the past where they have found me great work.

You may want to get yourself listed with more than one.

greycat

Thanks Purelife, i actually went to a personnel company today...I am just starting to freak out about this. When i first moved here i got a job immediately and it paid really well. Then i was involved in a car accident and was let go a couple weeks after coming back to work. Since then i have been having a  hell of a time getting back into the work force in any decent capacity! I am not used to this and starting to spaz!
It is what it is.

kitten

Try not to worry, greycat.  I'm sure things will work out for you.  I have my fingers crossed that you will get work soon.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

greycat

Thanks Kitten, thats really sweet!  :)
It is what it is.

Lise

Dunno of any position there, greycat but I wish you all the best. Good luck!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

greycat

Thanks Lise! This site is so much more pleasant than DV, its like a breath of fresh air! Ahhh, normal people.
It is what it is.

purelife

Greycat, I'm sure that you'll get back into the workforce soon.  I was panicking too when I was just temping for a while hoping that I could find something permanent.  I told myself not to worry so much because sooner or later, that job will come and that I'll find a way to get it.  And, my job found me and I found my job.  I'm happy working for the company that I do now.  It'll come to you soon, Greycat.  I can feel it.    

Gopher

Look on this period as an opportunity to do one or two things that you couldn't do if your hours are taken up by work (i.e. make the most of it that you can afford) - at the same time keep your eyes open on the job world, a new situation will come eventually.

In the meantime my hearty sympathies, I think it's something that we've all gone through at some time or another.Fortunately we humans have the ability to survive many things - even although at the time the particular situation seems to indicate otherwise.Let us know how things go for you.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Some Chick

Good luck.  The only thing that helped me get through those times was telling myself "next year at this time it won't matter."

At least it gives you a light to look toward.

Sportsdude

What's Canada's policy on the unemployed? Does the government help you out? Because if they do atleast you're not out cold on you're own. Unlike down here where my cousin has been without a job (and she has a masters) for almost a year. Now thats being out in the cold.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Some Chick

There is unemployment insurance and some training programs available if you qualify and have been paying premiums at your previous job, but it's not a lot.

Sportsdude

atleast its something. Here its S.O.L.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

greycat

Thanks everyone, I know this is just a blip in time and that eventually i will find something permanent, and more important, something i love to do! If it werent for bills, i would wait as long as it takes! It just makes for stressful living, but it will work out. I am just amazed at how long employers take to get back to people out here, for interviews, for decisions, everything! Now i am noticing the appliation deadlines are for August 31! I am writing August off, i guess there isnt as much hiring going on in the summer, people are on vacation etc. I will keep planting the seeds, sending out resumes and hoping September will be better. And yes, i will try to make the most of this time off and try not to be on forums all day!

Cheers!
It is what it is.

kingy

what type of jobs are you looking for? graphic design? admin assistant?