Things that your parents have said that doesn't make sense

Started by purelife, Jul 27 06 03:24

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Some Chick

Some Chick's Mom's contributions:

If you do that your face will freeze that way.

I have eyes in the back of my head. (some chick believed her mom when she carried down this little gem)

Sit on a cold bench and you'll get hemroids(sp)

(Truth on this last one is yet to be verified according to my mom)

IF your friend jumped off a bridge would you?

I know what you're thinking,

Masturbating causes hair growth on palms

More of that and you go blind (masturbation) (you knew that)

Shaving hair makes it thicker and darker.

Can not get pregnant while nursing.        

Lise

Some Chick wrote:
Some Chick's Mom's contributions:

Masturbating causes hair growth on palms

LOL. Never heard of THAT one before. Actually, the word has never touched my mother's lips. I think she'd rather eat her hat before she even says that.        

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

No a parent, but someone told me today that one storm doesn't make a teacup!
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Future Canadian

It took me a long time to be disabused of the notion that swallowed gum stays in your stomach for 7 years. In fact I got called on it by my wife when I was trying to pass it off on my kids.  
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

gentle fawn

[span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 255); font-weight: bold;"]MAH MOMA 2LD M3 TAHT DA 3ASTER BUNY WASNT REAL[/span]  

Lil Me

I was told that eating pumpkin seeds in the shell will give you appendicitis.  WTF?

Also:
 Don't swim for 1 hr after eating.
 Watching too much tv ruins your eyesight.
 Reading in the dark ruins your eyesight.
 Reading in the car ruins your eyesight.
 Trying on other peoples' glasses ruins your eyesight.
 Downshifting an automatic transmission will destroy your car. (lol- I think my parents go thru a lot of brake pads instead!)
 White people don't eat proper food.  WTF?
 It's improper for a girl to phone a boy.  Huh?

Here's a doozy from my grandmother:
 "You shouldn't do so much exercise.  It's bad for your heart to run around too much".  lol

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

lol on the pumpkin seeds.  I remember that one too.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
I was told that eating pumpkin seeds in the shell will give you appendicitis.  WTF?
 White people don't eat proper food.  WTF?
It's improper for a girl to phone a boy.  Huh?
Here's a doozy from my grandmother:
"You shouldn't do so much exercise.  It's bad for your heart to run around too much".  lol

Wow Even my wonky parent never used that one ... (bad for your heart)

I wouldn't even know where to start on this thread .... how many terrabytes does this server have???

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
Swallowing your gum will give you appendicitis.  (I don't know why they told us this, because we weren't allowed to chew gum.)  Swallowing watermellon seeds would cause a watermellon to grow in your stomach, which is very painful on exit.  (I suppose if the first part of this were true, the second would certainly be.)

I had a friend who was told that eating watermelon seeds would make you PREGNANT.  Not sure what would happen if a boy ate a seed?!?!

van_guy

and as for the wet hair outside thing, I'm originally from norther alberta where it gets up to about minus 40....so I think thats why it was true for me. In Van you can't help but have wet hair outside with the rain and all.
AB I grew up in N. Alberta too ... near Grande Prarie - where are you from?

I remember going out in -30 or -40 with wet hair and go figure - it froze solid in seconds.  creepy.

P.C.

I remember going out in -30 or -40 with wet hair and go figure - it froze solid in seconds.  creepy.

LOL....who needs mousse !
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

My grandmother said the same thing about wet hair, not wearing socks making you sick.

My grandparents were full of "wisdom":
 "If you pull that hair, two will grow back".

After a meal, you should have a strong cup of tea because "strong tea cuts the grease". Uuuuuh why not lay off the greasy food for a change?

If you leave uneaten rice in your bowl, you will have a spotty complexion.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

|