Things that your parents have said that doesn't make sense

Started by purelife, Jul 27 06 03:24

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Swallowing your gum will give you appendicitis.  (I don't know why they told us this, because we weren't allowed to chew gum.)  Swallowing watermellon seeds would cause a watermellon to grow in your stomach, which is very painful on exit.  (I suppose if the first part of this were true, the second would certainly be.)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

I was told that about apple seeds.  I became very careful about eating apples since I didn't want a tree in my stomach.  Eventually I swallowed one accidentally, and that got rid of that myth.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Some Chick

I remember being told that if I swallowed my gum it would all stay inside of me because it took 7 years to digest.

Well, when I was 9 I looked in the toilet, and there was a giant pink wad of gum in my... uh...  So, that was the end of that myth.  It might not digest, but it doesn't stay in you.

Yeah, yeah.  TMI, but what can ya do?

Lise

Some Chick wrote:
I remember being told that if I swallowed my gum it would all stay inside of me because it took 7 years to digest.

My mom told me the same thing too, SC. Ditto with the seeds.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

matt

One of my friends mom said if you go to the gas station with your radio on it can blow up your car. She believed it tell she was like 16! hehehe.  

Gopher

Not from my parents. But the other day I was informed by an elderly technophobe to take great care when using the computer: "They get viruses you know, and you're bound to catch one eventually".
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Some Chick

LOL

I just remembered another one too.  "You have a canker because you told a lie.  Lies cause cankers."

Brit_Guy

[p class="MsoNormal"]When I was very young I use to poke my tongue out and blow raspberries, so she use to say to me "If you pull a face like that, your face will stay like it".[/p]    [p class="MsoNormal"][o:p] [/o:p]Lol...I should have listened to her
[/p]    

purelife

purelife

Oh, I just remembered something else.

My mom used to tell me to never leave your clothes hanging outside overnight because of the bad spirits.  LOL!

Brit_Guy

[p class="MsoNormal"]My sister use to live 10 minutes down the road from our house, when my mum and sister use to talk on the dog & bone my mother use to say –if Mohamed wont come to the mountain then the mountain will have to come to Mohamed(or something like that)
 [/p]    

Yuki

My mom told me when I was about 5 that If I kept chewing on my hair it would stay in my

stomach and turn into a  huge ball of hair and they would have to cut me open and take it out.

My Dad told me that if I ever kissed a guy my lips would fall off.

Some Chick

How about "sick as a dog"?

I never understood that one.

Something funny too is the misunderstanding my brother had about the term "useless as tits on a boar".  In his late teens we were all talking and he said "Useless as tits on a board.."  All his life, that's what he thought the adults were saying.

purelife

Here's another thing that I don't understand.

If I was still living at home and have a boyfriend, he can't come over and sleep overnight.  But, my brother can bring his girlfriend to spend the night with him.  What the heck?

Orca

hehehe...

Double standard, purelife, plus the male offspring won't get pregnant (not to be the one that carry the baby)...

It didn't get that extreme for me, when I was 12, I asked my mom 'why can't I go home by public transit by myself when my brother can at that age'.

She couldn't answer the question, so I was able to start taking the bus home. I understood her reluctance when one day in broad daylight someone followed me home (I went back to the bus to my parents business place instead of taking a single person transit (on the last leg near my home, where the street was always quiet - mom told me it was a smart thing to do).  

|