Bad Impressions

Started by Gopher, Jul 27 06 10:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Which three features guarantee to give you an instantaneous bad impression of another person?

Mine:

A Bombastic Attitude

Foul Language

Body Odour
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Overdoing on foul language

Whiner

A Snob

P.C.

1. People who don't 'light up' (or at the very least, react) when greeted.  

2. Aloofness. (probably the same as number 1)

3. 'Know-it-alls' or people who use their professions jargon, knowing you don't know what they're talking about.          
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

I've always thought that the over-use of jargon was used to mask the fact that the speaker had very little knowledge of anything else (especially his/her own language).  

Some Chick

Complainers.

People who check themselves out in windows.

Anyone that wipes their nose with the back of their hand or doesn't cover when they sneeze.

Anyone that makes a sexist comment to me before they know how I will react (people who know me know I'll laugh, but that's earned with familiarity and trust.)

Cheesy one liners.

Boogers in the nose.

Bra straps showing.

Basically anything that tells me they don't take care of themselves.  That shows me that they don't care so why would they care about me?

Racism or bigotry.

Oh, and people who think it's a sign of strength to try to kill you with a hand shake.  C'mon, we don't have to prove how tough we are.  Just give it to me firm, then back off!

Flip side?  The limp wristed shake.  Ew.  

purelife

Bra straps showing...really?

When I wear a tank or something that shows more of my shoulders, I wear the bra with the straps because I absolutely find the strapless bras way too uncomfortable.  I see many girls showing the strap and thought that it looked okay.

Gopher

From a man's point of view, they don't. I agree with Some Chick.

purelife

Really Gopher?  Guys don't like to see the bra straps?  

Gopher

Can'r speak for everyone, but most of those I know don't.

I'll ask around during the next few days, just to confirm this or otherwise.  

P.C.

Bad impressions aren't necessarily 'deal breakers' for me.  It's not unusual to get to know someone AFTER a bad first impression, only to find out they're nothing like the first impression you had of them.

On the other hand, racism and bigotry are definite deal breakers.  There's NO interest whatsoever for me to want to know anything more about such a person.  Anyone who gives the 'impression' that they're racist, IS racist.  

Gopher

The worst are those sorts of people who come out with speeches such as the following, "Well, I'm as racist as the next man, but even I......"  

P.C.

Exactly Gopher,   or the "I'm not racist BUT".....then they tell a racist joke.  I find most often, regardless of the topic, that everything berfore a 'BUT' is usually a lie.

Some Chick

As for bra straps, if I'm wearing a tank, I won't wear it if the tank straps don't go over my bra straps (they have to go right over them even if they don't cover them completely).  The bra strap has to be the same colour as well.  Black tank, black bra, red tank, red bra.  And if I am wearing something with a T-back, I wear a bra with adjustable straps so I can hide it.

It's not something I'd given much thought until I saw a stylist talking about it a few years ago and pointing out that bra straps showing simply said "I don't care".  I'd never thought of it that way, and I do now.

As for racism and bigotry, I dumped a guy I was dating because of that.  He'd constantly use derogatory terms.  In 30 minutes of a visit with my mom I heard him say 10 DIFFERENT terms to denote race.  My mother and I both, at exactly the same time, turned and I said "Do you know how stupid you sound?" and my mom said "What are you, a Nazi?"

He hadda go buh bye.  His only redemption was that he had the decency to blush.

purelife

It's not something I'd given much thought until I saw a stylist talking about it a few years ago and pointing out that bra straps showing simply said "I don't care".  I'd never thought of it that way, and I do now.

That's very interesting.  Personally, I wouldn't do it because others thought that I had the "I don't care" attitude, but the way I dress is important to me (first impressions)...hmmm, I think that I may be contradicting myself.... so, I'll have to look into this to find out more thoughts on this.  I've been told that it's okay.  I think that it looks okay as well.  I do agree with you on the same shirt same color bra deal.  You can't have a white strap with a black tank.  That's a fashion faux-pas, most definitely.

P.C.

I'm not a fan of the visible bra straps either.  Suggesting that showing your underwear is 'fashionable' probably came from those same designers that make those hats that need training wheels, and dresses that have PVC pipe in them.  It DOES have that 'I don't care if I'm put together before I go out of the house' look.  However, it's not something that would give me a bad impression of someone.