Miss Computer 1973

Started by Mystee, Feb 21 06 07:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystee

Lorilei writes: "I found this photo in 2003 at Urban Ore, an awesome salvage, recycling, and reuse resource in Berkeley, CA. I was looking through their section of old photographs and found a couple of 8"x10" B&W prints of women in a data center. The only identifying info I could find on them was the typewritten "MISS COMPUTER 1973" label. Sadly, i have no idea where this picture was taken."
[h1 id="title_div99758717"][font style="font-family: Arial Narrow;" size="4"]miss computer 1973[/font][/h1][h1 id="title_div99758717"][img]http://static.flickr.com/41/99758717_c655ad10f9.jpg?v=0"][/h1][h1 style="font-family: Arial Narrow;" id="title_div99758380"]computer ladies of 1973[/h1][h1 style="font-family: Arial Narrow;" id="title_div99758380"][img]http://static.flickr.com/33/99758380_139e1fae95.jpg?v=0"]
[/h1]

TehBorken

Wow, look at the old-timey black telephone in the bottom picture...how many people here have used one of those? (I have/did.)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Future Canadian

We had a rotary phone at our house a little while ago! It still worked and everything. Very satisfying to hear the sound they made....*sigh*
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Good Times

Those pics look more like from late 50s, rather than the 70s.

But that chick in white sweater looks hawt!

P.C.

Holy, I remember working at he Imperial Bank Data Centre on Hornby and Helmken, years ago....looked kinda like that. !!!!!!!
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kingy

it wasnt that long ago when i just got rid of one of those rotary phones. i probably still have it laying around the house somewhere. maybe i should ebay it?

P.C.

OMG....I was just saying to hubby a while back that I would love a rotary phone.  We had one when we were kids.  (he's too young....doesn't remember them....teehee).  Loved that sound of dialing.

kingy

i hated when i would be dialing the last digit of a number then my finger would slip and mis-dialed! grrrr...

Future Canadian

I don't know about your area, but it worked just the same here. Just plug it in and I was seven years old again. The feeling of turning the dail and hearing the sound of it going back is major-league nostalgia.[/DIV]And they're ten-for-a-penny at Goodwill.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

Does it still work ????

Future Canadian

Sure does. I think we put ours away in favor of a walk around phone but it was fun for a spell. It also sucked when you would call places that asked you to press a number.

kingy

speaking of old equipment, there is a working typewriter at my place of work. when i first started there, i was like what the heck is that thing!

Future Canadian

Alas, the poor typewriter. Is there a more useless piece of machinery these days? It wasn't that long ago that everyone had to have one. Now you couldn't give one away (well, I'd take it for chuckles-then give it to Goodwill in a few months).

TehBorken

Alas, the poor typewriter. Is there a more useless piece of machinery these days? It wasn't that long ago that everyone had to have one. Now you couldn't give one away (well, I'd take it for chuckles-then give it to Goodwill in a few months).

I collect the really old ones, war-time Remingtons, and older ones with glass-topped keys, etc.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

We have one of those old Remingtons, from hubby's great grandfather, the kind that has the black leather box case......and it still works !!!!!