Raw oysters alert in BC

Started by Lise, Jul 24 06 01:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Don't go eating raw oysters now. Too bad because I love them raw oysters......

[H2]At least five ill after eating contaminated raw oysters[/H2]

Chad Skelton, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, July 24, 2006

At least five B.C. residents have fallen ill in the past few weeks from eating raw oysters contaminated with bacteria, according to the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

Dr. Eleni Galanis, a physician epidemiologist with the BCCDC, said the culprit in all five cases was Vibrio parahaemolyticus, a cholera-like bacterium that multiplies in seawater during the hot summer months.

Galanis said people who consume Vibrio-infested oysters usually suffer severe food poisoning which can last from a day to a week.

"Very, very rarely people can die of it," said Galanis. "But most of us would just get this really nasty few days of vomiting and diarrhea."

Most of the five cases involved people eating raw oysters at restaurants across B.C.

An investigation by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency traced most of the tainted oysters to a fishing area in Washington State which has since been closed.

Galanis said oysters can become infected with Vibrio either out at sea or after they are harvested.

"If they're left in the sun for a long period of time, then the bacteria can multiply," she said.

Oysters that have already been shucked and are sold in tubs are at greatest risk of infection by Vibrio and should always be cooked before eaten, said Galanis.

But even oysters still in their shells can be contaminated by the bacteria.

"People should be aware they are taking a risk when they eat raw oysters," said Galanis.

The CFIA monitors commercial harvesting areas in B.C. and closes them if the bacteria level in the water becomes too high.

Galanis said those who harvest their own shellfish should call the DFO at 1-866-431-3474 to ensure the area they're in is safe.

[FONT size=1]Source: [/FONT][A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=359d511b-639f-4797-ba4c-82e56fb97126&k=81124"][FONT size=1]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=359d511b-639f-4797-ba4c-82e56fb97126&k=81124[/FONT][/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

You shouldn't be eating them anyway Lise. You're pregnant.

Eh, there okay. Went to cape cod for a summer vacation once and had (I don't know if they were raw) about 30 oysters for dinner. They were okay. Like other seafood better. Had great lobster sandwiches and a great sordfish sandwich while I was there.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Some Chick

Giant boogers.

No one should eat them!

purelife

Hmm, I've never had raw oysters before.  I probably won't like them knowing that I don't like sashimi.  The raw seafood makes my stomach upset.  

Some Chick

The guy I was seeing last year took me to Monk's after a nice day on the water.  The drink special was an oyster martini.

He drank his first and, pretending it was good, encouraged me to have mine.

It was horrible.  I imagine that is what bilge water would taste like...  Dirty salt water with fuel.  Horrible.

He laughed his ass off when he saw my face.  We told the waitress how horrific the drinks were, and they actually removed them from our bill.

Oysters belong smoked in a little tin with some oil.  And on a cracker.

TehBorken

purelife wrote:
Hmm, I've never had raw oysters before.  I probably won't like them knowing that I don't like sashimi.  

I like sushi, but raw oysters are just plain repulsive. I won't eat anything that looks like it's already been digested and thrown back up. Echhhhhhh.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

soapbox

raw oysters are dangerous!

also,if you decide to cook up any shellfish in your kitchen,like for example,mussels you bought from safeway etc...please cook well,boil [FONT size=5]and [/FONT]fry or bake.

kingy

ive never had a raw oyster nor will i ever.

deep fry them and now you are talking!

49er

kingy wrote:
........deep fry them and now you are talking![/DIV]
 I like them deep fried also........raw, I can take them or leave them...I don't enjoy them like people I know.

anyway......isn't this the "red tide" warning time of the year.  No mussels from the west coast should be havested and eaten  

Lise

Ah, you guys don't know what you're missing. I grew up eating raw oysters, Sydney has some of the tastiest little morsels on earth.

I'm not eating them due to being pregnant but I'd do it in a heartbeat given the chance. Having said this, I would eat more of them in Australia than here though.

Smoked oysters are absolutely divine. Hmmmm.............................
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Marik

Ahhh damn oysters are the WORST! ... but sashimi is great!  

P.C.

What is the connection with eating oysters and being pregnant?  I've never heard of this.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Some Chick

Me either.

All I heard is they make you want sex.  Maybe that's why she doesn't want them?  She's already pregnant?

:)

P.C.

lol, SomeChick.  Kinda like locking the barn door after the horse is loose.  Must be from yet another 'new study' on the ills of eating......well...... EVERYTHING.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I think you are not suppose to eat raw stuff when pregnant because well its raw and it could hurt the baby.

Down here in on the river you will find 100lb catfish that look like sharks. Problem is you can't eat them because they are filled and I mean FILLED if mercury poisoning. Its due to the fact that the mississippi is pretty poluted. These catfish have such high levels of mercury in them that if a pregnant lady ate one of those fishies the baby could die.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."