No way this will ever be misused

Started by TehBorken, Jul 24 06 01:05

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3][font style="font-weight: normal; font-family: Verdana;" size="2"]How long before the cops start waving this thing around in public, at movie theatres, impromptu roadblocks, the door to the public library...etc etc? Answer: "Not long".[/font][/h3]
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][h3]          Meth Gun for drug detection         [/h3]          The "meth gun" looks similar to a radar gun but it's made to help police find trace amounts of dope. According to [a href="http://www.cdex-inc.com/pr/63006.html"]CDEX Inc.[/a], the $10,000 device is the first portable, handheld system that uses ultraviolet light to scan surfaces (most likely at close range). From the Arizona Daily Star:

[blockquote] The device works by transmitting UV radiation at a surface, causing any chemicals to release their "spectral fingerprints." It's a form of spectroscopy. When a chemical is exposed to UV radiation and releases its signature, the meth gun picks that up, CDEX scientists said.

This allows the meth gun to instantly scan for meth on a surface.

"We see this as an investigative aid," Foster said. "If I had been ingesting cocaine and then wiped it off, this unit would be able to identify the cocaine on that table or on my clothes..." The devices being field-tested will test only for meth, but the mass-produced devices will test for meth, cocaine, marijuana, heroin and peroxide-based explosives — which are similar chemically to meth, company officials said.[br clear="all"][/blockquote] [a href="http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/business/138816"]Link[/a]    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Oh, I can see so much abuse for this kinda thing but hey, progress is progress. Now beam me up, Scottie.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

So it can test for pot? Well I guess its time to legalize it now since the cops now have a device that can see if you are under the influence while driving.  I've heard that was the biggest holes in making it legal in Canada. Couldn't find a good device to catch high drivers. Well now I think you have the device. Now all they need to do is to get the mini bushes out of 24 Sussex and there set.

BTW: I don't do drugs. But I feel if people want to do a drug that they can't die from (overdosing) but you can drink hard alcohol and die from it and its legal why not cannibis. Plus just think at all the money the BC government could make off of it.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
So it can test for pot?

It says so in the article.

Well I guess its time to legalize it now since the cops now have a device that can see if you are under the influence while driving.

It can't tell if you're intoxicated, only if there's residue on your clothes or other surfaces. But that's be enough to pull your ass over and interrogate you, or bust into your home, or lock you up while they "investigate" you.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kingy

is that legal? will it be considered like a breathalizer, or would you need to give permission before they do something like that to you.

49er

we already have random testing of workers on "drug free work places" by making workers peeing into cups....wouldn't surprise me this replaces the specimen sampling.