Nonsensical signs

Started by Gopher, Jul 23 06 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Can we have some examples please?

I'll start you off, having recently seen the following:

1) (On a telephone booth) "This telephone is now on the other side of the street". - There was NOTHING on the other side of the street.

2) (On the door of a public building) "This door is to be kept locked and open at all times".    
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Those are good!  I've seen signs that indicated the business was closed with the door wide open, and vice versa.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

weird al

At Lougheed and Gaglardi, in the bus lane on the south side of Lougheed immediately east of Gaglardi, there's a sign that says BJS ONLY. It looks like it was intentionally made that way, no sign of defacement. Want to get a picture of it it, but it's damned inconvenient.

kitten

It's probably supposed to be BUS, but it's funny this way.

kingy

ive always wondered about the 'no dogs allowed except for guide dogs" sign.

do guide dogs know how to read because the blind person definately can't.    

weird al

Those signs should be in Braille. Also the signs at emergency eyewash stations.

Gopher

I did once see a stone monolith which bore a metal sign in Braille - it was at the end of a very narrow, undergrowth (and overgrowth) ravished, convoluted country trail: how did the blind person get there in the first place - and how would he have known that the stone was there, and last, but not least, how would he have known that it possessed a metal sign written in Braille?

kitten

On my way to town I saw a sign declaring Vancouver to be a nuclear-free zone.  Any place is until someone decides to drop a bomb on it, so shouldn't they add "So Far"  in brackets?

Gopher

This sign has always amused me too - you see it all over the place, different cities, different countries, and I've never been quite certain what it meant. Don't even the hospitals have some kind of radio-active materials on their premises in these sactuaries of peace?

kitten

My heart tests took place in the Department of Nuclear Medicine, so maybe it's not so free after all.

Gopher

Next time you go, you must query the matter.

kitten

I do hope that is many years in the future.

Gopher

Have you come across the Pacific Bell advertisement sign which reads:

"Phone out of service?

Give us a call".

kitten

No, I haven't.  Perhaps they mean one should go to their nearest office and yell up at the window, which is likely on the tenth floor.

Gopher

More efficient than their phone service?