Men: Sleeping with a partner makes you stupid, research reveals

Started by TehBorken, Jul 23 06 06:55

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Men: Sleeping with a partner makes you stupid, research reveals

(NewsTarget) A University of Vienna study, published today in New Scientist, showed that men suffer temporary mental setbacks if they share their bed because their sleep is always disturbed whether they make love to their partners or not.

The researchers interviewed eight unmarried couples in their 20s who were asked to spend 10 nights with their partners, and 10 nights alone. After each night's sleep, scientists checked the stress hormone levels of both the men and the women, and then asked them to take simple cognitive tests.

While most men reported a better night's sleep with their partner, their test results were better on nights they slept alone. According to Professor Gerhard Kloesch, both men and women suffered disturbed sleep when they went to bed with partners, but when they eventually get to sleep, women slept more deeply with their partners.

"It's not surprising that people are disturbed by sleeping together," said Dr. Neil Stanley, a sleep expert at the University of Surrey. "Historically, we have never been meant to sleep in the same bed as each other. It is a bizarre thing to do."

The morning after sleeping with a partner, women's stress hormone levels did not suffer as much as men's, but they still reported better sleep and recalled more when they slept alone. Male recall levels were best on mornings after making love to their partner.

Stanley suggested that women adapt better to a partner because they have many life challenges that disturb sleep, whether they are with a partner or not, including child rearing, menstruation and menopause.

"Sleep is the most selfish thing you can do and it's vital for good physical and mental health," Stanley said. "If you are happy sleeping together that's great, but if not there is no shame in separate beds."

However, Stanley also says that separation could have an adverse effect in couples. "If they have shared their bed with their partner for a long time they miss them and that will disturb sleep," he said.

[a href="Link%20back%20to%20this%20article:%20http://www.NewsTarget.com/019724.html"]Link back to this article: http://www.NewsTarget.com/019724.html[/a]

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Some Chick

Lise wrote:
 Ah yes.... however, sleeping alone is NO fun. ________________________________________

True 'dat.  But after so long sleeping alone, I find I have a very hard time sleeping with someone.  I'm too aware of them and it makes it hard to sleep.  Unless I'm drunk.  Then you can set a bomb off next to me and I won't hear it.

kitten

I much prefer a decent sleep to company.  Besides, I wouldn't want to be held responsible for causing stupidity in a man.  They can do the job themselves.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

kitten wrote:
 I much prefer a decent sleep to company.  Besides, I wouldn't want to be held responsible for causing stupidity in a man.  They can do the job themselves (now that women have taught them).

A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

To do anything well, one must be trained properly.  It's a tough job, but we're a dedicated lot!

Lise

kitten wrote:
I much prefer a decent sleep to company.  Besides, I wouldn't want to be held responsible for causing stupidity in a man.  They can do the job themselves.

LOL @ kitten.

It's funny but sometimes it's hard for me to sleep alone. I guess I'm used to having someone on the same bed after so long. The sound of my hubby's gentle snores puts me to sleep. I'm serious!

I wonder if men prefer to sleep alone or with their partner?

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

I think it depends on what you're used to.  After all these years of being alone, I don't think I could stand having someone sharing the bed.  I have trouble sleeping anyway, so I could guarantee sleepless nights if someone was with me.

Lise

kitten wrote:
I think it depends on what you're used to.  After all these years of being alone, I don't think I could stand having someone sharing the bed.  I have trouble sleeping anyway, so I could guarantee sleepless nights if someone was with me.

You wouldn't say that if I was in bed with you. *sneaky smile*

Before Lise Jr. and when my hubby had to go away, I used to sneak my dog on the bed with me. Best thing ever.... till I woke up with his ample butt on my face.

Bill Cosby.

kitten

My cat sleeps on the bed in winter, but he has enough sense to know it's way too hot in summer.

Lise

Where does kitty sleeps now? My dog hides under the kitchen table nowadays.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

He is lying on the sofa directly in front of a fan.  Smart cat!

Lise

That IS ONE SMART cat. I think cats in general are smarter. My dog, well, bless his wee little heart, is not exactly the smartest bulb in town. But he is very loveable.

My dog keeps cool by hiding under the table, the corner, anywhere where it isn't carpeted.... then as if he's gone dog crazy, goes out on the balcony and bakes under the evening sun!! Crazy mutt.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

He's smart to lie on an uncarpeted surface.  But baking under the sun in the evening?  *shakes head*

Lise

I know. Must be the toilet water. *just kidding*
Bill Cosby.