So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Admin

When I click on the 'select font size', the window pops up, but it's blank.  Same with the 'select font face'.  It's not a BIG deal, I don't mind speaking in monotone.

Hmmmm....what browser are you using? Are you using anything like Norton, ZoneAlarm, or another internet firewall? I can't think of any other likely thing that would account for it except something like that, something local to your PC.
I don't live on the edge, but sometimes I go there to visit.

tenkani

W00h00! I tell you, I'm hungrier'n an' Alabama tick!

I would kill my grandmother for a pork bun right now...
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

P.C.

This place is a wealth of information and new trivia to impress my friends.[/DIV]LOL......I had no idea Alabama ticks ate pork buns.  Hmmmh....learn something new every day.  wondering to self.....* how I can work that in to a casual conversation*   Admin, I DO have Norton.  Do you think that would cause it ???
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Admin

Admin, I DO have Norton.  Do you think that would cause it ???

Norton = Satan in my book.

It's a huge memory and resource hog, makes the PC run like molasses at the North Pole. Turn it off temporarily as a test and see it it makes any difference.

purelife

Hey kits, would you know any venues that can hold 300 people for a company 'xmas party?  [/DIV]How were your company parties?

kits

300 + people ehh?  Big party.

I threw a client party just before christmas at the Sheraton Wall Centre.  It was actually reasonably priced for that many people.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

P.C.

Testing without Norton.  YUP....Admin,

[FONT size=5]That's what it is !!!!   [/FONT]You're so clever.....thanks.

tenkani

You should be able to fine-tune Norton so that it still protects against viruses but leaves pop-ups (or whatever) alone.

I dumped Norton for Zone Alarm Suite months ago and haven't looked back.

Sportsdude

Bought Norton for the computer to protect against karma. (biggest joke on the planet). And guess what? The computer got a virus from the Norton CD.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Admin

Testing without Norton.  YUP....Admin, [font style="font-style: italic;" size="5"]That's what it is !!!!   [/font]You're so clever.....thanks.

Yep....

[font style="color: rgb(192, 0, 0);" size="7"]Norton = Satan[/font]

tenkani

What security software do you run, admin?[/DIV]Sorry if you already covered this and I forgot.

P.C.

Yikes.  I've never thought about not being able to use big font as being Satanic.  But hey, I trust you guys know what you know.  Hubby's pretty computer savvy....I think I'm going to ask him why he has it.

What are the things you think are bad about it.  You mentioned slowing down things, but this thing responds like lightning,  can you tell me what else ?

Admin

What security software do you run, admin?

I use [a href="http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1"]AVG anti-virus[/a] (free),  [a href="http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp"]ZoneAlarm[/a] (also the free version) and I have a cheapo hardware firewall/router box that ran me about $49 or so a couple of years ago. The firewall box is probably what's kept 99% of the shit out there at bay. If I go to the "Check My Security" sites (like [a href="https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2"]Shields Up[/a]), most of them report that they can't even tell there's a PC on my end.

ZoneAlarm is run just so I can see if somethingis trying to get out, and its amazing how much stuff wants to 'phone home' these days.

Admin

What are the things you think are bad about it.  You mentioned slowing down things, but this thing responds like lightning,  can you tell me what else ?

I bet it'll run a whole lot faster with Norton turned off (or not installed) than it will with it on.

Every PC I've ever put Norton went into slow-motion like an attorney waiting to see who'll pick up the check. It loads a ton of system hooks, DLLs, and extra stuff that just loads the system down.

P.C.

I bet it'll run a whole lot faster with Norton turned off (or not installed) than it will with it on.

Every PC I've ever put Norton went into slow-motion like an attorney waiting to see who'll pick up the check. It loads a ton of system hooks, DLLs, and extra stuff that just loads the system down.

So, I did ask hubby about the Norton, and he says I'm not been totally ummmm......accurate, when I say this thing responds like lightning.....that I've slowly become accustomed to the 'slow down'. He says it was 'the path of least restistance' at the time, and has just 'gone with it', but agrees with your take on Norton an will explore other options. He said the latest update, which included Norton ghost, was like adding a lead weight to a sinking swimmer.

|