So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Gopher

Steak & kidney pie.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

TehBorken

Fried rice, and lots of it. It's my new diet...fried rice, fried rice, and more fried rice.

And if a big, juicy steak just happens to fall right on top of my fried rice, well, I'll just have to deal with it, now won't I?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Hello Everyone!

How is everyone doing these days?
DDD hope you are well.. do you go to your cabin much this time of year?
SD Hope you have a good time back in vancouver. How long for this time?
Gopher hello! How are you doing these days?
TB how is your lovely wife doing? I see you have alot of rice, lol. My wife looks forward to when I leave for thats when she has LOTS of rice. When Im home and do the cooking.. its lots of potato's or pasta.

Well, im back away overseas.. going to be away from the family this year. Harder than before cause of little SS.

Hope everyone has some very happy holidays!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

DDD

Russ that sucks that you will be away at x-mas

As for the cabin have not been up since nov 22 ??

I will try to get up after the new year. New years going to be borring the gf works that night  :(

Have a good x-mas where ever u are at 
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Russ

Thanks D,
Yeah, sucks that I wont be home. However I was home for last year so, only fair for the other fellow to have this year at home. I had to do extra time for a few trips to change the time I would be on and him off for.

Little SS just had her birthday so she's now one. Both SS and little SS are heading to the island with my mother to have xmas over there. Think they are heading up to courtenay/ comox area for the dinner with some relatives up there.

Is there snow/ freezing temps up at your cabin right now? Do you do any winterizing on it? Is it hard to get to over the snowy season vehicle access wise? Just curious really. Relatives have place at Loon Lake, group went camping up there just after xmas few years ago. Roads were ok, but from road to where to park vehicel was difficult, lol. Weren't very bright as the beer was freezing, had to keep it in the cooler from freezing actually. Couldnt use propane stove and had to actually stick the propane tank in the fire to warm it up enough to flow to use. Temp the first night was negative 32 celcius. We were in tents with lots of good sleeping bags and mattresses.. my buddy that night when he went into his tent to go to bed, flopped down on his sleeping bag, and the air mattress underneath shattered like glass. Temp was too cold and the plastic got super hard and brittle.
Truck would barely start, and when it did, you could hear the ice chunks going through the engine block and water pump. It ran like a bag of nails being thrown about. Couldnt release the clutch pedal when it started cause the oil was so cold and thick, it wouldnt flow enough to release the pressure. So if the pedal was released with stick in neutral.. the clutch was engaged and the truck would drive, LOL. 45 minutes before the truck even thought about being warm. Lets just say we walked over to the closest resort and rented most of the cabins they had, with heated areas for vehicles. ;D

Um, what else is new this year..
Got SS a vehicle again, finally. She sold the other one to her sister without telling me. After a week of her not having her car, I asked when she was getting it back. She replied, oh I sold it to my sister, I didnt think we needed it  ::)
Got her a GMC Terrain. Now to pay for it

Had to change the hotwater boiler in my house the other day for my heating radiators. It started leaking from the tubes above the heating flames, and tripped out then blew the pressure relief? I had water all over my furnace room and floors in the adjoining spaces. Week before I came back. Didnt have the time or the motivation to deal with it, so I had a company come in and change everything in there.. Pumps, solenoid valves for the different zones in teh house, and the boiler itself. Already noticed a difference in my gas bill actually!

Sportsdude

Hey Russ! We're both spending the holidays away from family... I'm back in Vancouver for good. I'm only leaving the city for grad school in August 2013 (if grad school materializes). If not, I will shack up with a local and become boring.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

DDD

Russ nice trip LOL

The cabin is only an hour away from my home in NW but boat access only so weather does play a roll in going there. High winds forget it......snow on the roads ??? as getting stuck towing a boat sucks.

I have antifreeze in the bathroom fixtures that hold water and all the water lines have all been drained.

Any food items that could freeze are at home now but i did leave the fridge on with some items in it still as hauling up everything is a pain.

January is ok to go there but Febuary the winds make it no fun.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

purelife

Hi Everyone!!  Hope all is doing well.

Russ - That's very nice of you to cooperate with your fellow colleague about the holidays, Russ.  Do you get to skype with your family often?  You must post pics of your daughter at one years old!  She is looking mighty adorable.  It looks like it's gonna be hard to say "no" to her as she gets older. 

I treated myself to a delicious lunch at the Italian Kitchen's takeaway location and got the meatballs penne pasta with red pepper soup.  I am stuffed and my work space smells divine!  I figure that I'm allowed to spoil myself with an expensive lunch. :)

Gopher

NOTHING can spoil you, purelife.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Hello!

D- I think I know where abouts you mean. Theres some in the area there that are 99 year leases? What kind of boat? We used to launch my brothers maxum and go skiing in the slough on the way to pitt lake. It was too much of a hassle to head all the way into pitt lake where ALL the yahoo's were. Either launch in NW and run into the lake, or launch at the lake. We did that a few times and the last time we did, had an issue. My brother had fallen off his ski and I was looping back to pick him up. some drunken yahoo's were ripping right by us and not paying attention. I had to use the horn and go Wide Open Throttle almost ramming them to keep them away from my brother. They started yelling and swearing at me until they realized they were heading right towards a water skier. Not that its that bad in Pitt Lake, no where nears Cultus.. But still gave us a scare. So we been sticking to the slough.
Havent forgotten about my boat pics.. Ive got them on my iphone and am trying to get a data cable off someone on here to transfer them to post.

PL- HiHi! Hope you enjoyed your meal! I think you are on my crackbook are you not? SS and her brother posted some pics of little SS. Yeah, its going to be hard when she gets older. Already some of the stuff she does, you can just see what is turning over in her head. Im already getting crap from SS about some things, like when I fed her two slices of pizza when buddies and I were watching a game.
SS told me about a number of companies in the area that have been laying off people. Her work laid off over 60 people, and her cousin that works at a different company but right nearby got laid off end of this year with around 20 other people. How is your company currently?

Gopher.. I agree with you! lol.

SD- Hope you have a merry christmas with some others. Dont worry, you will never be boring, lol. With your opinions and willingness to discuss them, it wont be dull. Actually Ive missed you on this board.

purelife

I just checked out some of her photos on your wife's page.  OMG, she's all grown up now.  I love her faces and she's adorable for sure.  It sounds like she'll soon figure out which parent to go to get what she wants. ;) heehee

Well, after our company had the business process review, they laid off several people, probably close to around 20 but these people have been here for YEARS!  It's all due to restructuring, blah blah blah.  So, since we have an awesome package for those who get laid off, we won't see any surplus of income for another year or two.  But what surprised me was that we got a bonus this year.  My job is secure but I don't plan to come back after mat leave.  It's such a dead end job and I want something closer to home.  I'm also willing to sacrifice pay. 

Hopefully SS's job is secure. 

Sportsdude

Hey Russ! Thanks for saying I'm not boring! You have a good Christmas as well. My sister informed me that everyone wants to skype me during dinner and such tomorrow night, so that will be nice. On the Vancouver home front, I'm trying to get my closest friend over for dinner as she's in town for the holidays. She lives a couple blocks away from my place. Actually, I just want her to come over because I'm a vegetarian and the Lebanese market up the street gave me free lamb sausage the other day. The sausage will go well with my German egg noodles.

Purelife -- ominous sign. Most of us in school see Vancouver as a sort of a dead end town for starting a career - I've also been told this from day 1 of living in Vancouver. Only those who get out and then come back seem to make it out of the food/retail or receptionist world. My plan is to stay in school until someone on this planet grants me either tenure, a research position, or a book deal. I'm not sure if I have a plan b, unless you count "marrying a rich girl" as a fall-back position.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Im of the opinion that it depends on the job and career to whether its a place to start.
For my occupation and many of my friends, we either work out of the country or end up working out of vancouver in the surrounding areas or the valley.
Eventually I might come back and work for the coast guard or the ferries. But not planned yet.

Well Christmas dinner was a spread! The boys on here did an outstanding job, many of the clients onboard commented on it and were impressed.

Rotisserie pig (with sunglasses on), LOTS of cold cuts and finger foods. Many types of salads, macaroni stuff, etc. Shrimp, fish, ham, turkey, chicken, pork loin, and beef tenderloin.

Speaking of which.. I want to try the turducken I keep reading about. Has anyone had this before? How do you cook it?

TehBorken

Quote from: Russ on Dec 25 11 08:05Speaking of which.. I want to try the turducken I keep reading about. Has anyone had this before? How do you cook it?

Turducken...I've never had it (yet), but I've heard it's like a Meat Overdose with cranberry sauce. It's possibly ultimate example of Man's domination of the rest of the animal kingdom.   
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Quote from: TehBorken on Dec 26 11 12:18
Turducken...I've never had it (yet), but I've heard it's like a Meat Overdose with cranberry sauce. It's possibly ultimate example of Man's domination of the rest of the animal kingdom.

LOL, I have heard similar things.. the way you put it makes it higher on my list to do soon!

|