So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

SD....you're making it sound like you're going to be a father.  What happened ????  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I'll explain in a pm. No no kids.

had the no name 1 dollar frozen dinners from superstore for lunch.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Sorry.. UDS is Ugly Drum Smoker  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

I hope everything is ok, SD.  You sound really stressed.  :(

Went to Value Village today because they had their famous 50% off sale and got lots of baby clothes, blankets, a beautiful tea set and other good bargains.  I found a brand new baby scrapbook with lots of pages.  I can't wait to scrapbook!!!  I hope we have enough clothes too.

Lil Me

Hi everyone!

Hang in there, SD.

Great deals, purelife.

Russ- call me when you've got yout UDS up and running :)

Dinner was...popcorn.  It was the Fraser Valley Scout Popcorn kickoff night.  MMMM.  It was a popcorn buffet.  Caramel corn, cheese corn, regular popcorn with butter, chocolate pocorn....

Came home and sampled a bit of MrLM's bbq'd turkey legs.  The big Fred Flintstone ones.  MMMM.    
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

thanks guys. :)))
I'm on the mends, writing seems to be therapeutic.
That and reading about European Identities and what is Europe.

I still think universities could do the first couple of weeks better for the fall term. Nobody's adjusted and to then they throw a bunch of stuff at you, plus job openings, trying to manage the new schedule, running clubs, settling in etc. It seems detrimental to the university experience that is first week or second week for that matter. Nobody has a routine until the 3rd or 4th week and by that time comes the midterms. lol

49er

Sportsdude wrote:
I still think universities could do the first couple of weeks better for the fall term. Nobody's adjusted and to then they throw a bunch of stuff at you, plus job openings, trying to manage the new schedule, running clubs, settling in etc. It seems detrimental to the university experience that is first week or second week for that matter. Nobody has a routine until the 3rd or 4th week and by that time comes the midterms. lol

SD you got to establish your priorities....you are no longer in high school or a junior college.  Demands are higher and competition are stiff in a ranked university.  Is it more important to you to particpate in the university experience by running clubs, etc. or get an education to begin your career?  Some people are fortunate and can do both fully but if you are in field of study where it takes up a lot of your time to keep up then its time to give up something.  

Sportsdude

Universities no longer just want you to focus on school. Grades aren't the be to end all they once were.

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]49er wrote:  SD you got to establish your priorities....you are no longer in high school or a junior college.  Demands are higher and competition are stiff in a ranked university.  Is it more important to you to particpate in the university experience by running clubs, etc. or get an education to begin your career?  Some people are fortunate and can do both fully but if you are in field of study where it takes up a lot of your time to keep up then its time to give up something. [/span]

I couldn't agree more 49er.  If something isn't getting the attention it needs....change it.

Russ

Makes sence.. I have another vote for 49ers point.
One affects your future.. at teh same time SD is right in a way. For work its also who in the group you knew from college/ university that has a relative or friend or themselves that knows of a job and how to help you.

Sportsdude

Everyone's right. 49ers correct that I've got to focus on school. I'm no longer in my first couple of years of university, so I can't do the pub crawls etc on the weeknights. (i've never understood that about ubc, all the 'drink nights' are during the weekdays and not the weekend, kinda seems backward, anyone know why it is this way? It doesn't make sense).

Then at the same time, this is the time to get involved, get active, become a more well rounded individual. (depending on the faculty you'll have more time then others. Engineers for example on average have really no free time) Just getting good marks in Arts doesn't really cut it anymore. If 50 people apply for 5 spots in grad school with the same grades, you've got to stand out from the others.

49er

Sportsdude wrote:
Then at the same time, this is the time to get involved, get active, become a more well rounded individual. (depending on the faculty you'll have more time then others. Engineers for example on average have really no free time) Just getting good marks in Arts doesn't really cut it anymore. If 50 people apply for 5 spots in grad school with the same grades, you've got to stand out from the others.

you are correct....post graduate admissions will take into account your participations in other activities.  From my experience I found that in my junior and senior years I had more time to participate because the upper division courses were more to my interest/liking and less demanding than the required lower division classes....

Remember schools can put you academic probation if you're not making the grade but have never heard of any school doing it for non participation in a club or society.

It's all priorities and time management dude!

JJ

You have to make the grade first before they look at any of your participations in other activities.

P.C.

Ya....what they said.    

Russ

Well, homemade pizza's tonight..

man am i stuffed. Came out better than I expected... the Bobboli crusts were GOOD!

|