Restaurant Closures in BC

Started by Lise, Jul 15 06 07:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

OK, if you're easily grossed out, don't go here. This site will give you a list of the restaurant closures in Burnaby/ New Westminster/ Surrey/ Maple Ridge etc.

[A href="http://www.fraserhealth.ca/HealthInfo/PublicHealth/HealthProtection/FoodEstablishmentClosures.htm"]http://www.fraserhealth.ca/HealthInfo/PublicHealth/HealthProtection/FoodEstablishmentClosures.htm[/A]   Too bad one of my fav. dim sum restaurant is listed in here. Not once but twice. Now I have to find some other place.

Here's a site to restaurant closures in Vancouver.

[FONT color=#800080][A href="http://www.vch.ca/environmental/food/"]http://www.vch.ca/environmental/food/[/A][/FONT][A href="http://www.fraserhealth.ca/HealthInfo/PublicHealth/HealthProtection/FoodEstablishmentClosures.htm"][/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Some that stand out to me:

The first one:

Grand Buffet Restuarnat - Burnaby: Accumulation of filth is so severe that food and utensils cannot be handled in a safe and sanitary manner, failure to protect food contamination, pest infestation. WOW. These type of restuarants end up in the news down here for getting someone sick.

Full Garden Seafood - Burnaby - cockroach infestation

Tin Lizzy Deli- Burnaby - rodent infestation.

Starbucks in Burnaby: no hot and cold water supply. Wow this is a shock usually all the chain resturants have perfect conditions. Like for example all the chain restuarants in the US usually have a grade A. Although I did run into a Taco Bell once that was a B. But it gained it back.

Diamond Sweets Resturants and Ltd in Delta: reason: car crashed into building. LOL, but sad.

BTW Lise, which one was your favourite dim sum restuarant on the list?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Yeah, I know SD. About the Grand Buffet. I couldn't believe the reason behind the closure. Why the restaurant is still open remains a mystery to me.

My fav. is Big Lai on Kingsway. They have some of the largest dumplings for $2.50. Quite a bargain when you think about it. The only bad part is obviously the rodent infestation. Icky.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

ouch that place had two boxes for reason of closure instead of one. Another thing, how come all the places that were closed were in burnaby?

Lise

That's just the Fraser valley region alone. I also included the Vancouver, Richmond ones as well in a separate link.

You'll note that most of the restaurants are Chinese owned. Not that I'm against this but I feel most Chinese restaurants are notorious for not complying with the health code set by BC government. There should be stricter penalties issued to all the restaurants, not just the Chinese owned.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

seems to be a shortage of hot water in vancouver. i dont get that, cant they just go to the hot water tank and turn up the little knob?

kitten

You've got a great new avatar, Lise.  Very nice indeed!  I don't think I want to go to restaurants any more after seeing that.  And I've always loved treating myself to Chinese food when I had the chance.  But that is too gross.  I'd always be wondering if the place I chose was going to be closed down for some reason.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Very true Kitten. I think thats why more people end up going to those big chain restuarants because you know what you'll get there. Mom and Pop places are as usual hit or miss.

kitten

I think the trouble with chain restaurants is that they are completely predictable.  No interesting changes on the menu to tempt you.  I might as well stay home and cook, because everything these places offer I could do myself with much less cost.

Sportsdude

Exactly. How does BC or Canada rate there restuarants. Do they do the letter system like the U.S.

Where you have A for excellent B for good and so on. And for the record I've only seen a B place once and that was a taco bell. If someone gets a C I think they are shut down until they fix the problem.

weird al

Hey, if you wanna go to a good, clean Chinese restaurant, go to the Chili Pepper House at Rupert & Kingsway in Van. Sino-Indian fusion, and it really works. They've built up a good name in the area based on trust and continuous good standards. Some interesting menu items. Go for the Bhajia and/or the chicken kebabs, vegie pakoras (best anywhere), etc., etc.

kitten

That sounds interesting, weird al.  I should drive into town one of these days and check it out.  As long as it's a nice clean place and not too pricey.  I do love veggie pakoras.

49er

Closure because "No cold or hot water supply"

Forget the water for cooking.........what did they use for flushing the toilets or hand washing after going?  

weird al

kitten wrote:
 I should drive into town one of these days and check it out.  As long as it's a nice clean place and not too pricey.  I do love veggie pakoras.

Their vegie pakoras are the best I've ever had anywhere. Watch out for the Hot & Sour soup - hotter than the hinges of hell! Lots of vegie dishes, and all the usual Chinese cuisine. No pork. The owners (Chinese) are from Calcutta and have also done this gig in Sweden and Germany. Edward (now at the Surrey location) is fluent in Swedish, and Paul (Van. location) is fluent in German. They also speak Hindi. The place is clean, and in no way overpriced. Thier spicy deep-fried tofu is also a total winner. I've been going there almost 3 years now and never had a bad experience. They know me well (but not as weird al).

kitten

Much to my regret, I'll have to pass on the hot stuff.  I love hot spices but my tummy no longer approves of them.