Cutting out the Naughty Bits Ruled Illegal

Started by TehBorken, Jul 10 06 06:00

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Some of you may recall the lawsuit brought by several Hollywood directors against companies which edit (read: censor the crap out of) movies for sex, language, and violence. The companies would trade consumers an off-the-shelf DVD for an edited one.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is now reporting that Judge Richard P. Matsch has found that this practice [a href="http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/07/09/film-scrubbing-ruling.html"]violates US copyright law[/a], and 'decreed on Thursday in Denver, Colo., that sanitizing movies to delete content that may offend some people is an "illegitimate business."

The judge also praised the motives of the Hollywood studios and directors behind the suit, ordering the companies that provide the service to hand over their inventories.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
Personally, I applaud the judge's ruling. I don't need these ultra-conservative idiots "cleaning" my movies before I watch 'em, just as I don't need a nanny to supervise everything I do. Let me live my life as I wish, stop trying to "protect" me from all the world's "evils".

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Some Chick

I totally agree.  I'm a big girl, I can cover my eyes if something's too much for me.  The evening news is far more disturbing than most of the stuff Hollywood can come up with.  They just borrow their ideas from our reality.

Chicklet

Blockbuster was caught doing this a few years ago.  I've never rented from them and I never will.  It's censorship, pure and simple and it makes me really mad.
'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani