War on bunny rabbits rages on

Started by Sportsdude, Jul 05 06 09:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Here bunny, bunny

Globe and Mail

Vancouver - So, in order to control the rabbit population of Richmond, B.C. (Those Ravaging Rabbits -- B.C. edition, July 3), the plan is to shoot nets out of cannons, then run really fast to catch the rabbits before they escape? Trapping animals and moving them to a new location, where presumably there are no crops to ravish and thus a greatly diminished food supply, so they slowly starve to death, hardly meets my definition of "humane."[!-- /Summary --] Of course, the masterminds behind this plan are probably the same people who, through putting coyotes into animal shelters, have contributed to the current population problem by eliminating some of the natural predation. Shooting the rabbits is the most humane option available at this point. Aside from which, rabbit meat is low fat and would taste lovely grilled alongside some garden-fresh vegetables.

[!-- Addendum --][!-- Revisiondate --][!-- /Revisiondate --][!-- Memo --][!-- /Memo --][!-- /Addendum --]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

I haven't seen any rabbits in Richmond but perhaps I haven't looked closely enough.  I have seen them on Annacis Island, Delta.  

It's cruel to starve and/or kill them.  I think that if they wanted to decrease the population, simply give them away free to a good home.  I'm sure that there are many kids/families who want a rabbit.[/DIV]

jeffbc

The bunnies are preparing  to defend themselves:

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

Gopher

Introduce some form of contraception into their diets.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

I'd love to see someone going around issuing condoms and birth control pills to the wild rabbits.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

So would I, I was thinking of a more subtle approach - but your visualsiation of this idea is wonderful.  

kitten

It would be asking too much to expect the SPCA to go out and perform thousands of tiny vasectomies.

Gopher

Do you really think so? Please state your grounds in no less than two words.

kitten

Not enough anaesthetic for all of them.  Too few sutures and needles.

Gopher

Microsurgery? Just thought, not keyhole surgery, but rabbit hole surgery.  

kitten

And then there's the old axiom......First you catch a rabbit.  That's the hard part.  Just ask Elmer Fudd.

Gopher

kitten

He's a bright one, all right.  Somewhat fixated on rabbits though.  Wonder if there was some trauma in his childhood.

Gopher

I've always thought that there was - however I've more than a mere sneaking regard for him - he's one of my heroes.  

kitten

Rooting for the underdog?  Or would that be underpig in this case?