Standing in line with the Homeless

Started by Lise, Feb 15 07 10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

ripper

Why is that degrading. There are people out there whose job, and a profitable one at that, is to go shopping for people who have neither the time or inclination to do so. Would that be considered degrading.  

P.C.

Well, I wouldn't argue that I'm right, but I would still say that it's the way I feel about it.  

I guess I'm visualizing someone just approaching a homeless person, slipping him a few bucks and carrying on his merry way to dine on quiche and chardonay while some poor fellow stands in a line-up for 9 hours in bad shoes.  I suppose if the notion was out there, and they came forward for such a job.....who's to judge.  (It still feels like there's something not right about it.....just can't put my finger on it)  

As far as personal shoppers......trust me.....there are people who lust after such a job.  lol  What could be more fun than going shopping and spending someone elses money......and getting paid on top of it all. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g015.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

ripper

Believe it or not P.C. i can see your point. It seems like they are being taken advantage of. And in all probability they are. Unfortunately in life, sometimes the wrong choices we make can haunt us forever.

P.C.

I guess the only thing that could be good about it, is the thought of them maybe getting a warm jacket and a hot meal out of the deal. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/traurig/e030.gif" border=0]

ripper

As shitty of a job as it is, maybe it'll give them the incentive to clean themselves up and get on with their lives. One can only hope.

P.C.

True ripper.  You never know what the key is that could unlock whatever it is that keeps them where they are.  It could be something as simple as having a few bucks in your pocket that they earned.

ripper

That's the key. They've been beaten down for so long that they have lost all hope and self respect. Maybe with a honest day's work, they'll again regain some hope and confidence.  

Gopher

Continually like your sentiments, ripper.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

ripper

Moolah!

I beg to differ on this "degrading" business.

It's a temporary job. Why is it so hard to accept?

Yes, it won't make millionaires out of them but it'll put a few bucks in their pockets.

And maybe some of them ARE looking forward to having 50 bucks slipped in their hand, doing NOTHING but waiting for someone else in line. Is that not possible?

By the way MOST jobs can be viewed as being "degrading". Or as something one has CHOSEN to do.

How much fun is it to give enemas in nursing homes? But someone's got to do it, right? And they get PAID for it.

Do you see homecare attendants whining and moaning that their job is degrading?

No one is FORCING those bums to stand in line for someone else. They can easily say "Keep your money, I'm not waiting in line for you".

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

49er

what about the people who cannot afford to pay someone to wait in line for them?  Is it fair on them......now they will have to wait longer because earlier positions are filled by surrogates