something about laughter?

Started by Marik, Jun 28 06 12:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Marik

I've noticed that after you get into an argument of some sort with someone, you tend to laugh more (in a bad way) when asked about the person(s). For example... John gets badly beaten up by a group of Mexicans. After that, Jane tells a joke that would  be considered racist, but John would laugh. Or, Joe said something negative about John and this made him mad. John and Joe proceed to fight each other. A little later, Jane says something like, "Joe works at a strip club!" John LOUDLY laughs about this, even though John knows Joe really works at a restaurant.
So does anyone know what the exact word be for this kind of thing? It's not exactly racism, but I can't figure out what would be a good word to describe it... (if any of that made sense)  Any suggestions as to what this might be called?

Some Chick

Adam_Fulford

Laughter has survival and health benefits, but its purpose is complex and mysterious.  It seems to serve as a mask to hide weakness or a lack of preparation for shifts in the environment. Laughter is often a reaction to the unexpected.  I'd expand further on my wise and learned discourse, but my voice is attracting a swarm of blackflies.

P.C.

I thought that was called gossip.[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c020.gif" border=0]  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kingy

why did the mexicans beat up john?    

Marik

I'm not thinking of bitterness or gossip. Adam's got it right, but I'm still lost for a name... by the way, nobody got beat up.

Some Chick

The term I think you're looking for is derisive.  

P.C.

Good call Some Chick !!!   THAT'S IT !!!!
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Some Chick

Here's a better topic to bump than one about academe.  *Insert derisive laughter here*

Gopher

You've spoiled it by mentioning her name.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Some Chick

True, but I stayed on topic by providing an example of the use of the word!

C'mon...  :(  

I tried!

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

I had thought of the word "contemptuous" to describe the situation.  That's also the word I would use to describe DV.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.